PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336a

223tenx
11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Guys,
My stepson has a Marlin 336A in 30-30 with a cracked stock and wants to restock it for his son. He says the gun looks different from other Marlin 336's, but he doesn't know exactly what the difference is. Does anybody know what the designation 336 A signifies? I tried looking it up in the Blue Book thinking maybe it would explain the difference in model letters, but it didn't. Would any 336 stock fit as long as the mag tube length is the same, or does that even matter? TIA!!

rockrat
11-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Don't think there is much difference in the buttstock, but I think the forearm is fatter. Can't help you on the designation "A", but all the ones I have seen have the 24" barrel. Go ask on "levergunscommunity.com". There are many there that can tell you all about it.

bobk
11-16-2008, 12:13 PM
223tenx,
Cracked buttstocks are not all that uncommon, mostly due to bad bedding in the tang area. I'd glue it and glass bed it. I've done this on several, and one Marlin in particular turned out to be very accurate. It's going to be my .30-30 cast rifle.
Bob K

Hurricane
11-19-2008, 03:10 PM
The older 336A had a 24 inch barrel and a 3/4 length magazine tube. There was a foreend cap which dovetailed into the barrel to hold the foreend on instead of a barrel band.

In recent years, 336A is being used for a 20 inch barrel rifle. It also has the forend cap but the magazine tube is full length of the barrel.

In either case a standard pistol grip stock will fit the back end of the rifle. The foreend would have to be shaped to take a foreend cap.

I restocked a 336A a few years ago. I got a 90% carved and inletted stock from a large stock maker and carefully sanded it down to fit. I did have to drill the rear stock for the bolt that holds the action on the rear stock. It will be a nice project. Since you will be doing the job, you can shape or slim the stock to fit your artistic desires.

Hurricane

pumpguy
11-19-2008, 08:40 PM
If it is only cracked, can he take it off carefully and glue it back together with some carpenters wood glue? They make a dark version now that would work well on a walnut stock.

Muddy Creek Sam
11-19-2008, 09:17 PM
There available on http://www.e-gunparts.com

Sam :-D

223tenx
11-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks Muddy Creek Sam. I'll check E-gun. I think the stock was cracked when someone tried to unscrew it and got a screwdriver in sideways beside the screw and twisted and broke through the stock--I THINK--.. I've not actually seen it.

223tenx
11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Just checked on e-gun parts and they were sold out of all Marlin 336 A stocks. I'll keep checking back.

44man
11-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Do NOT use wood glue on it. Get a pack of Accra Glass, the thin stuff. Mix some and add a little color. Spread the crack a little and force the bedding in until the crack is full. squeeze it tight, remove excess and wrap it tight with strips of inner tube or surgical tubing. Leave it two days.
Then glass bed it to the receiver following instructions with the bedding kit.
You will have some clean up and maybe a refinish job but it will never break again.
The crack will be invisible.