PDA

View Full Version : tons of lead under my feet and I can't touch it!!

juanvaldez
11-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I work in a paper mill. One of our decommissioned machines was for making parchment (think bible paper). The process required some sort of acid treatment of the paper. To protect the foundation and steel work on the machine the entire floor section is made of lead plates. I'm unsure of how much of the floor is lead but the machine occupied a building almost 100 yards long. I wacked a section of the floor with a pick and it looks thick too.

Anyone knowledgeable on the use of lead for chemical protection? Would it be pure lead or an alloy?

Cheers

ovendoctor
11-16-2008, 10:21 AM
that should be pure lead

also is used for machine setting so the pressure points on the machine feet are equal

HeavyMetal
11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
sounds like a source!

Is the machine "idle" until they get another run or are they going to scrap it?

If they are going to scrap it you best say something about wanting some of that lead and fast! Usually they auction that stuff off and the bidder will take everything!

If that has been bid out and is done already, don't despair. Lead prices, at least here in the L.A. area have dropped like a rock in the last 3 weeks!

I called my local scrap yard for a competative price on lead, I pay a little more than they do when I call on my tire shop guys, and found out they weren't even taking lead right now!

I couldn't give it to them!

Pay attention to the price your local scrap guys are offering, not charging, for lead.

So If it's been bid out already and prices for the lead are way down the scrap contractor might be in a listening mode if approached properly.

Who knows, You may become the next lead king to the casting industry!

juanvaldez
11-16-2008, 02:33 PM
The machine is long gone...just and empty building with a little junk stored in one end.

TaylorTN
11-16-2008, 04:33 PM
How big a lunch box do you carry?

Get that pick swinging!!!!:p

longbow
11-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I feel for you Juan. I work in a lead refinery and am surrounded by hundreds of tons of lead every day but cannot even buy it from the company I work for!

ovendoctor is right, most lead used for chemical protection is pure lead. I have a publication from the engineering group of the company I work for (published in the 1950's). It has lead and lead alloy properties and uses for corrosion protection. I cannot reproduce it but I can transcribe it and will do so (at least the good parts) when I get time.

Longbow

Bigjohn
11-16-2008, 07:59 PM
One piece today, another piece tomorrow. :D

Approached the management. With the number of members on this board we could bid for it and remove it. Heck, if I could get over there and bring some back; I'd be there in a flash.

John.

400cor-bon
11-16-2008, 08:50 PM
the area where they poured off 55-gallon drums of acid
at my lasy job (pulp mill)
was lined with 3/8 inch 99% lead sheets
this stuff is usually pure industrial grade lead
nice find!

quasi
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Longbow, is the smelter in Trail the reason houses are so much cheaper in Trail than the surrounding towns?

ovendoctor
11-16-2008, 10:09 PM
not that Iam tring to cut in on your find

were is the mill located?

longbow
11-17-2008, 12:09 AM
quasi:

Maybe so but more likely because Trail is slowly dying ~ and not from lead poisining. In it's prime Cominco was far dirtier than it is now and people in Trail had lower blood lead levels than people in Vancouver due to the leaded gas in use at the time ~ Vancouver had a lot more car exhaust.

The main reason for low prices is dropping population. The smelter has cut crews dramatically. Less workers, less money in town. Castlegar was a very small town when I moved here in 1981 but the population has now passed Trail's. Nelson has also recovered from loss of CPR and plywood mill and seems to have made up for it in tourism and other things.

Longbow

mikenbarb
11-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Guess who im following to work tommorow.[smilie=s: Are their any cutting torches around? Just hold it low to the floor on the corners and start melting off piece by piece. We get tons of scrap lead in NJ and im up to my eyes with it but I got a BIG piece of property if you need a place to stash it.LOL.

Sven
11-18-2008, 06:36 PM
One piece today, another piece tomorrow. :D

John.

Kinda reminds me of a Johnny Cash song. . .

The Dove
11-18-2008, 06:46 PM
It's a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!! N.S.

The Dove

The Double D
11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Have you contacted any one about at corporate about salvaging it?

kgb
11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Our Air Force Base range has a metal trap against which bullets pretty much disintegrate. The residue falls in the back into a trough where a screw pulls it to one end and the material is placed in barrels.

We had a lead shot reclamation company out to evaluate the grounds for recovery and the guy took a couple scoops of the waste back to test. It's pretty much just lead and copper, but something about the lead dust keeps their smelter from properly converting it into useful material and he won't even take the stuff for free.

Anyone heard of a problem like that?

Kirk

mike in co
11-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Our Air Force Base range has a metal trap against which bullets pretty much disintegrate. The residue falls in the back into a trough where a screw pulls it to one end and the material is placed in barrels.

We had a lead shot reclamation company out to evaluate the grounds for recovery and the guy took a couple scoops of the waste back to test. It's pretty much just lead and copper, but something about the lead dust keeps their smelter from properly converting it into useful material and he won't even take the stuff for free.

Anyone heard of a problem like that?

Kirk

yes,
i smelt indoor range scrap. they get a very fine powder that does not melt/mix, but is dense(r) than the scrap( no air in the mix).
i scrap it to the scrap yard.

mike in co

shot reclamation want hard lead, and most bullet cores are just the opposite...soft.

juanvaldez
01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi....sorry for not replying but was not getting notification of posts for some reason. The Mill I am at is in Northern Ontario, Canada. I am management at this mill so I already know I will not be able to take it out for liability reasons. Only a licensed insured scrap dealer would be able to get it. It makes me sick every time I see it.

Sean

e15cap
01-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Time to get to work on some CERTS.