PDA

View Full Version : Digital Scale

Roudy
12-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Just bought this digital scale from Ebay for a little less than $30. Getting tired of fooling with a balance scale trying to weigh boolits and didn't feel like shelling out $100+ for a scale from the reloading suppliers (which are probably better scales).

Has any one had any experience with this type?

imashooter2
12-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't have any experience with the scale you have shown, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work fine for sorting bullets.

John Boy
12-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Roudy, my other eBay 'cheap' digital died after a $15 expense and 2 years of use.

So, I bought the Neva on eBay for $4 and 15 bucks shipping :groner:

I've been using it for about 3 months (along with a Lyman scale pan) and it has been flawless ... to 0.1gr. I use it exclusively for BPRC charges and sorting my cast bullets. I weigh many bullets straight from the mold. Use a can top and tare weight it ... to set the hot bullets on.

I even used the calibration weight to re-calibrate it and that was a waste of time cause it was on the money to begin with.

Caution: Use the scale at room temperature. It doesn't like being cold - like working in the garage.
Regards
John

yammerschooner
12-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Did you happen to see the scales over in the group buy thread on this site? It sounds like he may still be able to hook you up.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3932

Pawpaw
12-25-2005, 10:07 PM
I use a Jennings JS-50X and really like it. I use it to set powder measures, weigh bullets, and most all of my reloading chores that require weighing. I've used it for almost two years now, and the learning curve on using it was a long one. There are a couple of hard-won lessons on using it. I originally wrote it up on Castbullet, here: http://www.castbullet.com/stuff/scale.htm

1. It likes room temperature. It doesn't like cold garages. I give mine about a half hour to come to room temperature before I try to use it.

2. It is truly sensitive. A misplaced hair, or an exhaled breath will give you a false reading. The air around the scale has to be absolutely still. When you look at the reading and see it "Wandering", look for an air source, such as a heating register or fan. It is reading the air currents around it.

3. It really doesn't like to read a weight that increases, like measuring up to a max charge with a trickler. A balance beam scale is better for that type of weighing chore.

4. It is great for weighing bullets and thrown charges, and the Tare feature is really nice. It doesn't replace a balance beam scale, but it sure complements one.

Mine is two years old, and there may be better ones out there now. Sometimes I lust for one of the new powder dispensers like Lyman and RCBS make, but have other things to spend my money on right now.

drinks
12-26-2005, 12:27 PM
It looks like the one I just ordered, 250gram capacity, reads to .1 grain, $14 plus $3.85 shipping.
Looked again, the one I ordered in the group buy is "Digiweight".
Go to group buys and look at digital scale.

Roudy
12-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It should be waiting for me when I get home. Will make sure I'm in a warm and comfy environment with no drafts when I use it,
Roudy