PDA

View Full Version : Competitor pistol update 11/15/08

joeb33050
11-15-2008, 01:32 PM
COMPETITOR PISTOL UPDATE 11/15/08

I've been shooting this pistol at 50 yards, and am able to get 10-shot groups averaging under 2", with individual groups sometimes well under 2".

A plywood box, 9" high, is put on the bench, and supports the pistol. The box has a wedge at one end, ~3/16" to 1/2", used to rest the butt on and adjust elevation.
The 9" height of the box was arrived after many tries, and is the solution to the trifocals/tremor problem. That 9", for me, is critical.

A PVC pipe and "U" clamp is used to hold the pistol. This clamp is not perfect but my best solution until yesterday.

The new and I hope better pistol holder is made from one of my muzzle clamps, with 1' brass rods.

I think that half of the group size is caused by the wiggliness of the bench rest apparatus I've used. All are better than any conventional sand bag and bag combination I've used.

So far I've used 31141, 311299, 314299 and a Borton-Darr 185 grain PB bullets. Last Wednesday I shot some of the Borton Darr bullets, breech seated. I put a dab of lube on the base, then stuck on an upside-down gas check. Dropped it in the chamber, poked it home with a cleaning rod/screw, had cork wads in the case mouths. So far this looks like a promising wrinkle.

I'm using an NCSTAR 2-7X scope, and find that setting it at 4X is the best power. More power reduces eye relief and makes me crowd the gun, screwing up my trifocular vision and my arm position.

I'm thinking that I need to be able to average ~1" for 10 shots at 50 yards, then move to 100 yards.

Clearly I don't know much about this LRH shooting, and am looking for advice.

MtGun44
11-16-2008, 01:05 AM
I have a 2-7 NC star on a K31 and it seems to work fine, but I have
always wondered if the scope is adding any 'slop' to the system, since
it is SOOO inexpensive.

Bill