PDA

View Full Version : While I am here,

looseprojectile
11-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I was given a Herters die that seems to be made to swage lines into the front of
.452 diameter boolits. Looks as though it would make what would be like Micro Groove rfling on the boolit.
Anyone seen or had use for these?
Life is good

shooterg
11-15-2008, 01:32 PM
look anything like this ? Herter's made these "alligator" type swaging dies in many calibers.

454PB
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Maybe a cannelure tool?

looseprojectile
11-15-2008, 11:47 PM
See if this works.http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/looseprojectiles/swagedieandboolits013_edited.jpg

looseprojectile
11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
SWIMBO and me about an hour to figure out how to post this picture.

Life is good

Buckshot
11-16-2008, 12:23 AM
.............Those are for sure, interesting. Purpose?

..................Buckshot

waksupi
11-16-2008, 01:51 AM
It's a flamderger installation tool.

9.3X62AL
11-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Naw, it's a Herter's World Famous Hudson Bay Company Pre-Micro Groover.

looseprojectile
11-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Heck, I hoped you guys would tell me.
I may do some and LLA them and see if more lube in the front grooves helps keep leading to a minimum with soft boolits.

This looks like a government project, dont do nothing but sure looks interesting.
Another soloution to a problem that don't exist.

I have had thoughts that this may be some sort of blank making die.

The die is stamped 452A. That tells me that it was made to do something to a boolit. It sizes the base of the boolits pictured to .4515.
The boolit on the far right is a very soft 260 grain SWC boolit that I ran way up into the die.

Life is good

GabbyM
11-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Allowing my imagination to run I'd say case forming.

Star crimp starter for crimping brass shot shells. Similar to 22 LR shot shells with crimped tapered end.

What would a 45-70 case look like after ruining it up into the die?

My other thought was swagged ribs for use as 410 gage shotgun slugs. Similar to the solid slugs Brennek used. The ribs allowing compression in the choke. That far right photo looks much like a shotgun slug.

shooterg
11-16-2008, 10:53 AM
On page 458 of my 1968 Herter's catalog - "Herter's revolutionary vertical groove pistol bullet swaging dies for use in your loading tool". Cost $7.29 !

"Vertical grooves on pistol bullets made with these dies are a tremendous advancement in both bullet accuracy and non fouling"

Buckshot
11-17-2008, 01:55 AM
On page 458 of my 1968 Herter's catalog - "Herter's revolutionary vertical groove pistol bullet swaging dies for use in your loading tool". Cost $7.29 !

"Vertical grooves on pistol bullets made with these dies are a tremendous advancement in both bullet accuracy and non fouling"

..................Holy Smoke! The idea of the century lost, and only now re-discovered!!!!!?????[smilie=p:

looseprojectile, you are hereby elected (since you have the tools) to do a 10 target test. Ten rounds on five targets with the regular hum drum looking boolits, and the same with these phantasmagorical looking concoctions:groner: We're all waiting to see the statistical comparison :-)

................Buckshot

Bad Water Bill
11-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Just think With this incredibly simple, but proven in the field, improvement to your cast boolits you will now be able to consistently drop p dogs at 1K yards using pure lead projectiles at speeds of 6k F P S with no leading
George
:bigsmyl2:

looseprojectile
11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
You might be expecting a little too much :roll:.
If you get any shooting reports, they will only be, IF and WHEN these altered boolits shoot with amzing accuracy and velocity. Otherwise----------

Some of you guys don't know that Herters was famous for their amusing and rediculosly inflated claims in their advertising and were pretty much a joke among my cronies. Looks like Buckshot knows. I can feel the sarcasm.:drinks:.
You other guys, DON"T BE so subtle.

I think that this may be another one of the, HEY KIDS, be the first one on your block to have this, kind of advertising.

Life is good

454PB
11-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Say what you like....it was a sad day when Herters closed their doors.

scrapcan
11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I think you need to send Pressman a pm on the die sets. He may have more info. They don't call him Mr. Herters for nothing.

I am also sure he will be along soon to have a look at the pictures.

georgeld
11-29-2008, 03:42 AM
I can fondly remember the many hours of amuzing, entertaining and sometimes even educational reading I did with the monthly Herter's Catalogs that came in the mail when I was a teenager interested in reloading and hunting. It would take most of a month to read thru it half dozen times before the next one came that might have a different cover and a few pages changed was all. Wish I had a few of them at the price's I've seen at gun shows for old issues. I never could figure out just which one MR. Herter figured was the BEST as each one had the same hype about it. He didn't number them in rank of best, worst, bestest etc. Just every item listed was the very best in the world etc-----!

When Mom finally got fed up with the pile three feet high she dumped 'em. Just think of all the money she tossed out. Same with Dad's 25 yrs of The Rifleman mags she threw away. What I would give now to have those boxes of Rifleman mags. OR even Mom back now that she's been gone almost a yr.

Amazing what change's a person's life goes thru if we just hang around long enough. Dad's 90 and still going fairly well yet. Says one of his "finer days" was when a guy threatened to whip his ass if he'd just come down off that horse drawn wagon and told the guy: "hell, I had a better offer awhile ago, the last guy said he was coming up here after me!"

Cheers!