PDA

View Full Version : HANDLOADER Dec #257

GLL
11-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Pretty good issue on .41 Magnum bullets, .45Auto Rim, .308 loads, and a well illustrated article on Basic Casting hints.

Jerry

Bret4207
11-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Yup, I agree. Brian Pearce keeps me subscribing along with the occasional tech article.

EMC45
11-15-2008, 08:08 AM
They've been getting better and better lately. And there were 2 for Oct/Nov.

44man
11-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I still miss Ken Waters and all of his testing. I just don't know why they don't continue this with someone else. It must cut into profit.

Bret4207
11-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Who are you going to get with the patience Ken has? I wonder if Mr Scoville is even interested in that. Maybe Mike Venturino would chime in here...

FN in MT
11-15-2008, 01:19 PM
And from what I heard Barsness is now GONE too!! John did some great articles and will be missed.

Rifle and Handloader are still the two best out there.

FN in MT

Wayne Smith
11-15-2008, 01:23 PM
It's a huge amount of work, taking a lot of time, sore hands and shoulder, and a lot of number crunching. Mr. Sciuchetti's article on developing a .308 load is an example of the amount of work it is. We are typically talking months of work for one article.

Somebody with Mr. Venturino's history and, with adequate records, could probably mine his records for a dozen or so articles. Some on this board could do the same thing. Me, I'm a terrible record keeper, I'd have no hope.

Anyway, it's a lot of work for not a lot of pay. A labor of love most of the time.

Hardcast416taylor
11-15-2008, 05:47 PM
I still have letters from Ken waters that were wrote about 20 or more years ago. The letters were in response to my writing on the advice of my making up 2 wildcat rounds, a .338/06 and a .416 Taylor. He told of his experiences with both and gave load recomendations. I made up a 1917 U.S. ENFIELD for the 338/06 and a Win. model 70 for the .416 Taylor. Williams Gun Sight did some of the barrel work but I did everything else. I`ll never forgot how he started both letter, "an excellent choice for medium game and for large and dangerous game" for the 416 Taylor. He said the .338/06, with correct bullet weights, was good for game up to brown bear. Kind of big shoes for another writer to fill.:-D

jdgabbard
11-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't subscribe, but I did pick it up yesterday on the magazine rack. You're right. It has some good stuff in it this time around.

EDK
11-15-2008, 07:01 PM
You really need to subscribe to RIFLE and HANDLOADER both...and save your copies. I am constantly referring back to past issues for things that I have developed an interest in.

Brian Pearce is probably the next generation's Elmer Keith....definitely has Elmer's type of credentials AND THE HAT (He did an article about that awhile back.) Brian has lived/is living the life we all dream we could have...at least the good parts of. There isn't much glory looking at "the south end of a north bound cow" and even a good saddle isn't very comfortable after 10/12 hours in rough country.

I just wish Mike Venturino hadn't developed such an interest in World War I and II firearms. He has been a great source of information over the years for BPCR and CAS shooting...and never as a "gamer."

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Firebird
11-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Mike Venturino has left a great legacy in the BPCR and Cowboy shooting games with his books and articles, and I'm glad he was able to move on to something different so he didn't have to keep repeating himself over and over. I'm sure he will continue to write an occasional article on revolvers or old single shots whenever he buys a new gun, or maybe one of his friends does, that Mike hasn't covered before. But he has already written about most of the old and reproduction guns in most of the original and modern calibers. We'll have to wait for a manufacturer to bring out something new, or new/old and/or a new technique get developed or re-discovered, and then I'm sure Mike will want to write about it. And in the meantime I'll be reading and enjoying his articles on the old military weapons.

anachronism
11-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Wolfe lost me when they fired Ross Seyfried, years ago. Barsness was fired about 2 months ago, but still had a lot of articles in the pipeline, so some people are just now missing him. I subscribed to the two mags forever it seemed. The mags seems to be in a constant state of decline, and I now consider them only marginally better than "Guns & Ammo".

Marlinreloader
11-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I just spoke with the lady at Wolfe publications a couple of days ago. She wanted me to let as many people I could that you can get all three mags for $45.00 yr.. For Vets and active duty $35.00 yr. That is great deal.

Marlinreloader

451whitworth
11-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Wolfe lost me when they fired Ross Seyfried, years ago. Barsness was fired about 2 months ago, but still had a lot of articles in the pipeline, so some people are just now missing him. I subscribed to the two mags forever it seemed. The mags seems to be in a constant state of decline, and I now consider them only marginally better than "Guns & Ammo".

that's when they lost me also. when Ken Waters was retiring i was kinda in denial about it because i selfishly hoped he would write till the end. he has such a tremendous body of work that i reference practically every week. i grew up reading (in the 1980's) the last days of Elmer Keith, and the 'new' guys like Seyfried, and Venturino in G&A along with all my father's old mags/books from the '50's-'70's. i like Venturino's writing but since i don't share his passion for BPCR or old military arms i don't read it much.

35remington
11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Why did they let Barsness go?

Alchemist
11-15-2008, 10:18 PM
My subscription didn't kick in as soon as I hoped, so I missed #256...anyone know how to get a back issue?

Heavy lead
11-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Why did they let Barsness go?

It my just reviewed my Successfull Hunter, Rifle and Handloader for Dec 08 (I get my subscriptions on line) and no John B. I'm not happy. I was miffed when Ross was let go, very opinionated, but I like the read. I enjoyed he and Eileens work. It that he is gone. Wish we would at least know. I like those three mags better than any other out there, but at least they let us know when someone is leaving. I hope the heck they keep Pearce and Mike.

Buckshot
11-15-2008, 10:34 PM
My subscription didn't kick in as soon as I hoped, so I missed #256...anyone know how to get a back issue?

.................Just go to Wolff's website. They have some left from the '70's.

................Buckshot

Dale53
11-15-2008, 10:35 PM
I have mentioned this before...

Subscribing to hard copies of Rifle, Handloader, and Hunting will cost you $51.00 for the three magazines when you order all three.

You can get an ONLINE subscription to all three for $19.95. It is instant (well you do have to wait for the download, which will take two or three minutes if you have broadband) and you can store them on your computer. No more stumbling over piles of magazines. That is the path that I have taken.

Just a thought - save money and end the storage problem... and issue 256 is still available for download.

Dale53

Heavy lead
11-15-2008, 10:42 PM
I have mentioned this before...

Subscribing to hard copies of Rifle, Handloader, and Hunting will cost you $51.00 for the three magazines when you order all three.

You can get an ONLINE subscription to all three for $19.95. It is instant (well you do have to wait for the download, which will take two or three minutes if you have broadband) and you can store them on your computer. No more stumbling over piles of magazines. That is the path that I have taken.

Just a thought - save money and end the storage problem... and issue 256 is still available for download.

Dale53

And you can read them in the dark on your laptop. And you can always print off what you want as far as load data.

Bret4207
11-16-2008, 09:14 AM
I believe Barness posts over at 24 hr campfire. You might find out why he left over there. Bet it was old chicken neck Scoville.

FN in MT
11-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Bret,

I think YOU hit on the problem with John B. I've heard some stories which like all "stories" should be taken with a grain of salt......That Scoville didn't like negative press/test data on certain items if those items were from an ADVERTISER. The classic "don't bite the hand that feeds You" story.

Never talked to Scoville but I do recall he wrote an article about Barnes bullets once with a shot of him holding money in his hand. He was putting his money on the line regarding some story about the Barnes slugs failing ? Something along those lines....maybe accuracy? I don't recall the exact article but I DO recall I felt it was as though he was in bed with Barnes.

FN in MT

coalgeo
11-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, I was miffed when Ross left and will be doubly miffed if Barsness is gone. I like Brian Pierce's articles but that is not enough to keep me subscribing. Probably be my last year with Wolfe.
Greg
ps - I have two editions of Ken Water's Pet Loads - the older three ring binder version, and the latest bound reprint - I am in those all the time. A great addition is the compilation of Ken's correspondence - that book is a gold mine

bruce drake
11-17-2008, 05:22 AM
I'll miss David B's articles, especially the last page, but I hope they bring that section back with another writer (Mike?.....) Just as long as that kid David Fortier doesn't get hired on to talk about the latest Mall Ninja Crap (just a bad step towards G&A in my opinion) I'll continue to buy the magazines as I like Rifle and Handloader.

Bruce

NoDakJak
11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Excellent observation Bruce. I have all of the Rifle and Handloader magazines except for a few early ones. They used to be the very best on the market but took a very bad nosedive when Al Miller retired. They no longer accept articles from free lance writers. Too hard to control and have a tendency to write about what interests them instead of being a propaganda artist for the large firearms and ammo companies. Hell, that wide range of articles along with a couple of excellent staff writers such as Ken Waters is what made those rags so great. Ross was a great addition to the magazine and it was a sorry day when he was let go. I wondered for several years how John got away with writing truthful articles. Now we know! Most gun magazines have degenerated to being propaganda sheets for the manufacturers rather than being written for what the readers want. Neil

Echo
11-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Just as most newspapers have degenerated into propaganda sheets...

AZ-Stew
11-17-2008, 11:44 PM
...You can get an ONLINE subscription to all three for $19.95. It is instant (well you do have to wait for the download, which will take two or three minutes if you have broadband) and you can store them on your computer. No more stumbling over piles of magazines. That is the path that I have taken. Dale53

I won't spend the ink to print them (costs as much as the paper subscription) and I refuse to install a computer in the "reading room" next to the Porcelin Goddess.

Other than that, it's a great idea.

Regards,

Stew

Scrounger
11-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Stew, if you spent much time around teen-agers these days, you'd know you could download them onto an IPOD type gizmo that you could carry around in your pocket and read them whenever you get a few moments. And of course we're all going to have to buy laptops so we can carry all the data around with us...

MtGun44
11-18-2008, 01:07 AM
I saw that Barsness was moving to edit Successful Hunter magazine in
the May/June issue. Maybe he didn't like the editing business as much
the writing business.

Barsness and Pierce are by far my favorites at the Wolf pub mags.

I did notice John had an article in American Rifleman.

I did really hated to lose Seyfried's neat articles, too. I always learned
something interesting from Seyfried.

Bill

georgewxxx
11-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Both Ross & John are writing for the Rifleman now on occasion. Barsness article in the last issue was a good read It's about time they have some new blood over there too.....Geo

Blkpwdrbuff
11-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, when did you get your December issue??
I still don't have mine,and, being a .41 Mag nut you have me salivating waiting for the issue to show up.
I also enjoy Brian Pierce and Mike Venturino. When Venturino left Shooting Times I nver renewed. I miss several of the older writers also.
Blkpwdrbuff

Heavy lead
11-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey guys, when did you get your December issue??
I still don't have mine,and, being a .41 Mag nut you have me salivating waiting for the issue to show up.
I also enjoy Brian Pierce and Mike Venturino. When Venturino left Shooting Times I nver renewed. I miss several of the older writers also.
Blkpwdrbuff

I get mine on line, think I've had it for a couple of weeks now. ST used to be great a long time ago. Same with G and A. Now they just run adds for Hornady, Ruger and Smith and call them articles. They suck. I stopped taking G and A when Mr. Cooper passed on. Didn't always agree with him, but at the very least he helped my vocabulary, and made me think. I think the Wolf pubs are slipping, can't figure out why, still some good stuff, just seems like there is something missing to me.

John F.
11-18-2008, 11:41 PM
"I think the Wolf pubs are slipping, can't figure out why, still some good stuff, just seems like there is something missing to me."

IMHO, it's probably due to their "corporate in-breeding." By keeping all their articles coming from just a few writers, they greatly limit their topics. There is only so much GOOD information that one brain can generate, but if ya have a deadline to meet every month, ya gotta write SOMETHIN'.... Instead of having fresh new ideas from people who are enthusiastic about their specialty, they just seem to be one big info-mercial for Turnbull Restorations, Shiloh, USFA and Barnes.

I like the magazines, but they truly are limited and it's getting to be the same 4 topics, over and over again...

John

Heavy lead
11-18-2008, 11:47 PM
"I think the Wolf pubs are slipping, can't figure out why, still some good stuff, just seems like there is something missing to me."

IMHO, it's probably due to their "corporate in-breeding." By keeping all their articles coming from just a few writers, they greatly limit their topics. There is only so much GOOD information that one brain can generate, but if ya have a deadline to meet every month, ya gotta write SOMETHIN'.... Instead of having fresh new ideas from people who are enthusiastic about their specialty, they just seem to be one big info-mercial for Turnbull Restorations, Shiloh, USFA and Barnes.

I like the magazines, but they truly are limited and it's getting to be the same 4 topics, over and over again...

John

One of the reasons I miss Ross, he always had something in the works I would never or could never shoot or aquire. And it was almost never new, always old, big and hard kicking.

Paul B
11-23-2008, 03:28 PM
I get the impression that John Barsness left Wolfe because of being made editor of Successful Hunter and probably asked for more money. If that was the case, I'd leave too. from what I understand, he's writing for the American Rifleman and I think Field & Stream has also hired him.
From the scuttlebutt on 24 hour campfire, Ross got canned because he was very hard to get along with and the other writers complained about him. There's several threads dealing with Ross over there.
I don't think Ken Waters really wanted to retire, but he has a very ill wife and taking care of her took too much time away from his handloading work. from what I understand, his health may be failing as well.
Frankly, and this is strictly my personal opinion, the Wolfe magazines are going down the crapper due to the policies of Dave Scovil. Used to be you could write to the writers and they'd give you an answer, even if it took a while. Scovil came our with an edict that, "The writers of this magazine are too busy to answer your personal mail to them." Oh really? I still write to john B. and he answers when he has the time.
I ran into Scovil at the range where I shoot, dunno why he was in Tucson, but there he was. Snobby S.O.B. wouldn't even talk to me. Guess us peons are beneath his contempt. I have met a few of the gun writers at NRA conventions and some are pretty decent people and others think their poop smells like Chanel #5. Got news for them, more like drainage ditch #10.
Paul B.

threett1
11-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Johnny B will be writing for Guns mag too in case anybody needed another fix for his fine writing.

georgewxxx
12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
I noticed Barsness was listed as a field editor on the last issue of the American Rifleman. No mention of Ross Seyfried.