PDA

View Full Version : Powder/Cartridge List

jim4065
11-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Way back when Ed Matunas published a list of powders and the cartridges that he felt worked best with those powders. This was in "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" and was the first reloading book I ever bought. Times change, and now I'm starting to accumulate way too many powders (again).

Is there any kind of a combination "Burn Rate" and "Recommended Load" list? The "Reloaders Reference" has an extensive listing of powders and loads but it's almost too much information. I have sufficient "fast burning" powder (from 2520 down to Bullseye) but need to stock up on something slower - say 3031 to 4350? Don't run any really big cartridges (nothing over 300 Mag, and not much of that). Guess I'm asking for a recommendation on a moderately slow flexible powder. Hoping that 8#'s of the right stuff will carry me thru for awhile - both boolits and the occasional condum.

runfiverun
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
for cast/jacketed it would be 4895 and 4831 for me. i use rl-19 also but i haven't really had luck with it as a cast powder.
3031 has shown some promise and maybe 4064 but i haven't tried it with any cast yet.

454PB
11-14-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't stock up on IMR powders.....I've had several cans go bad. I buy a pound or two at a time and use it up.

I do stock up on ball powder, because I've never had any go bad, nor have I heard of anyone else having a problem.

For me, H-414 or WW 760 is a good medium slow powder that will work in 80% of my rifle applications.

jhalcott
11-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey Jim, sounds to me that YOUR problem is NOT ENOUGH GUNS!! Once you have all the calibers and a few guns in each, you'll be able to use all the powder you have. Imr 3031 and ww748 are both quite flexible . they can be used in cases as small as the .223 and on up to the 30-06. I try to keep a few different powders on hand even IF they aren't the BEST choice for the guns I have. I never KNOW when I'll find another jewel I gotta have!

shooter93
11-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I've been having very good luck with V V powders in different cartridges. I pick the one closet to the IMR or whatever powder I was using and go from there. I haven't been disappointed yet. They are a bit more expensive but not as much as you think if you shop around and they burn very very clean.

jim4065
11-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey Jim, sounds to me that YOUR problem is NOT ENOUGH GUNS!! .......................

Trouble is - got one that was bought 2 years ago and haven't had time to shoot it yet. Screwed up priorities, huh? :veryconfu

Soon as the inside casting bench is finished - and I get retired - I've got a lot of "make up" to do. Didn't even get time to hunt this fall, and now the boss is talking about training my replacement - which means working until June maybe. [smilie=b:

DLCTEX
11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
4831 is very versatile. Also 4064.