PDA

View Full Version : TIme to Deer Hunt Gents !

Boerrancher
11-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Alright folks here is the scoop. Tomorrow is opening day of deer season for rifle only. I had big plans to get into the chat room last night and visit with everyone for a bit, but the server seamed to have other plans. I doubt that I will be around much for the next few weeks as I take hunting quite serious.

This is the first year that I have decided to strictly hunt with cast boolits. Even though I have been casting and shooting boolits for 30+ years, I never considered cast boolits accurate enough for anything other than plinking and blasting a 'yote from time to time. I would still have that mentality if it were not for the fine folks that make up the membership of this board. I thank you all for your contributions that have allowed me to realize the true potential of cast projectiles, and for sharing the knowledge that has allowed me to have as much faith in the accuracy and stopping power of a cast boolit as I did a jacketed.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

:castmine:

44man
11-14-2008, 11:15 AM
I have only one question to ask! Where did the year go? :confused:
I shot two already with the bow and am waiting to use my revolvers.
Then the wife and I caught a horrible cold from someone at the store.
My back is killing me too and when I bent to pick up my little dog, it felt like it went out.
I wish you luck. Keep us posted.

1Shirt
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Good luck, hope to hear that you got a big one!
1Shirt!:coffee:

kir_kenix
11-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Same story here, getting up early in the morning to start my season. My work was pretty leaneant and i don't have to come in before 1pm all week! I am going to be using cast as well this season.

Good luck, hope you bring back plenty for your freezer!

leadeye
11-14-2008, 04:14 PM
This year will be my first hunting with cast. I will be sitting tomorrow out though the winds are going to be howling and I never do well during really windy days.

FN in MT
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/DSC_0052-5_edited-1.jpg

One of my local guys. I only had my small digital camera so had to blow up the file. Sorry for the quality.

He is about as BIG as we ever see here locally. He was runniing with a pair of smaller bucks that showed promise for the future.

FN in MT

muffinman
11-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Yep the 15th is opening day. I think I feel like 44man. I am sitting here totally congested, soar throat and a nice little fever to go along with it!My back isnt to bad but my little dog is getting kind of chunky so ya never know. Now on the bright side all I have to do is walk out the door and head north about 350 yards and Im there so if I get feeling real bad it is a quick trip home.

wire nut
11-14-2008, 06:17 PM
You guys are running late. Here in ky our rifle season started last saturday. My season was over a 6:45 am. I was not using cast but was using my reloads. By the way the buck I shot had his nose to the ground tracking what i assume was a doe. The rut was just starting and the bucks were chasing. Good luck to everyone. Remember be safe and use a safety harness as 1 fellow near me fell from his stand and was killed.

hydraulic
11-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I went out to my ranch today to sight in a rifle for one of the young guys in town who just didn't have time to do it. Season starts tomorrow. Right next to my 100 yd target stand is a huge scrape; deer poop everywhere. Someone at the coffee shop said they saw a good buck cross the highway and go into my place this morning. I didn't get a license this year, so I gave my nephew permission to hunt on my place. I'm coming up on 71 and it just isn't as much fun as it has been, the last 30 years, so let me tell you, boys: it doesn't matter whether you have time, or can't afford it, or have some other excuse. Get out there now, while you still have the fire in your belly. Here I am with all the rifles and shells I'll ever be able to shoot, a new 4 wheel drive pickup, 27 acres of the best deer woods on the Missouri River, and I'll spend opening day fooling around with the wood stove, thinking about firing up the casting pot, drinking coffee while looking out the window at the woods and reflecting on how happy I am not to be out there in the wet and wind and cold. Don't get old, boys.

Old Ironsights
11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Early archery just ended. Firearms starts tomorrow.

I won't be going out with the .357 until Dec 2. I don't have the requisite body armor for ground-hunting on the State Fish & Wildlife areas...

Until then, I have an Urban Deer Zone plot I just got linked into to work on depredating the town herd.

Haven't found the right mold/alloy for a broadhead yet though.

If all of that fails, I'll be shooting REALS out of my Flintlock & Inline Pistol during Muzzleloader.

NSP64
11-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Maybee one day I too will hunt with a rifle........but not in Illinois.:drinks:
until then my 44 TC Encore will have to do.And I'll be slingin cast:Fire:

DLCTEX
11-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Our gun season started Nov. 1, but it's been too warm to hang a deer. Today's norther took care of that. If the wind gets under 25 tomorrow I'll hang some meat using cast. DALE

jhalcott
11-15-2008, 12:44 AM
When I was in my 30's I spent a year fooling around with cast in the '06. I KNEW where that bullet would hit from the end of the muzzle to 200 yards. That was as far as I felt a 170 grain .30 caliber was effective on a deer. I got a dandy buck on opening day at 25 FEET!! He dropped at the shot and I put another in his neck (in case!). That 2nd shot wasn't needed. The next fall I took a few more with other cast bullets one at about 300 yards. The 311284 bullet was sent out at nearly 2500 fps and went thru the shoulder and lungs. Took the top of the heart off and exited . He went about 25 or 30 yards. He was 180 pounds (a big deer in this area) and had 10 points. I am NOT sure what drew me back to Jwords, maybe the looks I got from hunters in the camps. Or maybe the extra jobs I had so I could buy more guns, left little time for casting sizing and loading. Then ,of course there were LOTS of groung hogs to shoot. Long range and explosive terminal effects seemed to scream for Jwords.

C A Plater
11-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Gun deer seasons open November 22 in Alabama and this weekend I will try to get my ladder stand set up in my back 20. Found a nice stand of white oaks with a good acorn crop and lots of deer tracks that looks like a good place for the stand. Not seen any bucks yet but lots of does with this years fawns so they're around. Plan on using a 16" T/C .30-30 carbine with some 150 grain GC flat point cast to harvest a doe or two for the freezer. The limit here is one per day and a season limit of 3 antlered deer and the season last until mid January.

eka
11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Hey 44Man I feel your pain. I worked harder this summer than ever before getting in really good shape so as to hike up and down the hills with my climbing stand and gear effortlessly. Yep, I got there, best shape I've been in in years. But, the first time out I twisted my right knee somehow and now it's bummed. And so am I. Nevertheless, I'm gonna be out there with a million dollar heart and set of lungs and a two dollar knee. Hope you feel better.

Keith

TAWILDCATT
11-15-2008, 08:18 PM
hay hydraulic:your just a younster I am 84.got three in the freezer now. season starts sep 1 ends jan 1.but too hot in sep oct.and now its been raining for 3 days.
savage110 30/06 wolf 160gr