PDA

View Full Version : loosening boolts?

unclebill
11-14-2008, 10:05 AM
maybe someone can enlighten me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle
Take a .357 Mag sizing die (steel) and FL the loaded cartridge the length of the seated bullet. This will allow the bullets to be pulled with your fingers or a light tap of the inertia puller.

Of course, I wouldn't guarentee the diameter of the bullets. I've done thousands of rounds of pistol stuff this way. Once got a huge box of "stuff" from the gunshop that had been reloaded. Salvaged all the bullets for lead and the primers and brass. Being retired, you have a lot of time and little money./beagle

i just tried that and all it did was make the boolit REALLY REALLY tight in the case.
i can see the lube channels of the boolit through the case!

jonk
11-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I too am confused how this would loosen bullets.

unclebill
11-14-2008, 10:19 AM
i thought maybe he knew something i didnt but......

at least i only have a few rounds loaded with FWC to throw away.

44man
11-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I think it only works on dead soft boolits. The size die will squeeze them and the brass will spring back.

unclebill
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
oh........
ok thanks!

Pepe Ray
11-14-2008, 12:49 PM
?? Why throw them away? Shoot them and save the brass.
Pepe Ray

unclebill
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
?? Why throw them away? Shoot them and save the brass.
Pepe Ray

the wrong powder got put in those rounds.
4 gr. A#7 instead of unique
they are 38's

felix
11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
aa7 SHOULD be no problem when shooting, but only when powder is resting on primer. In other words, try ONE, shooting up at a 45 degree angle. If no problem, lower to 30 degrees. Then shoot level if good to go. The 38 special case is small enough for good primer action. I would expect more problems if the loading was around 2.7-3.0 grains. You are looking for abnormal recoil, noise; also, on the other end of the scale, a stuck boolit AT ANY TIME. ... felix

EDK
11-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Push them down a little bit with the SEATER DIE that is set to seat only---NO CRIMP! Then get out the inertia puller or collet puller of your choice. You may have to do a little experimenting to find how much you have to "push them down."

Personally, I'd try the puller first. I had one dud stick in the forcing cone of a VAQUERO...tapped it out and then pulled 50 rounds from that lot just to make sure. They were all good....just wasted about 300 grains of TITEGROUP.

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

fecmech
11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I tried Beagles method on some .357 max rounds I have with 358156 GC slugs in them. When I tried the inertia puller after pounding the snot out of the puller I got the bullet out but the gas check remained. I ran them through a .357 carbide sizer die to just below the bullet. I then lifted the bullet and gas check out with no effort with channel locks. His method worked great for me, the boolits ended up about .352 diameter.

beagle
11-14-2008, 11:38 PM
The stuff I was pulling was jacketed for the most part but I have pulled hundreds of cast that way also. The hardness may have an affect on the pull but I've always managed to get them loosened up and pulled./beagle