PDA

View Full Version : For mold storage...

Patrick L
11-13-2008, 11:46 PM
For a few years I've used surplus .30 and .50 caliber ammo cans to store molds. Being airtight, they protect them fairly well from moisture and humidity. I like to keep my molds in their original boxes both for ID sake and to keep them from banging into each other. I find that my Lyman, SAECO, and 2 banger Lees fit in them fine. Problem is, the six cavity Lees (in the box) are too big.

Midway has surplus 40mm cans on sale for either $7.99 or $8.99, I can't remember. They will hold six Lee molds (in boxes) plus you could fit a few Lymans or other small box ones in there too. I picked up two of them, and they seem nice. Expensive to ship though.

Ben
11-14-2008, 08:09 AM
This may be more effort than you want to go to but it has worked out great for me. I wish I had done this 20 yrs. ago.

So convenient and my molds stay 100% rust free.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13322&highlight=Mold+storage

Wayne Smith
11-14-2008, 08:30 AM
I store mold in the refrigerator, usually on the cheese!

tomf52
11-14-2008, 09:40 AM
The link Ben provided has one major flaw, the science behind the construction of the storage container is flawed. When you are using a heat source such as a bulb or dehumidifier rod to prevent rust you do not want a sealed environment. There has to be air flow. That is the purpose of using heat - to dry the moving air. Check the instructions on the dehumid devices sold for gun safes. The cabinet the man made to store his molds would work perfectly, being air tight, with a dessicant pack. It would also not consume any electricity or be any degree of fire threat. I store my molds in a 50 cal can with a large dessicant pack made for gun safes and it goes forever before needing recharge because of the limited volume of the container. Always keep the container closed except when removing or replacing a mold to minimize exposure to the atmosphere. I never get any rust on my moulds.

Ben
11-14-2008, 04:54 PM
tomf52 :

As to your comments about " flawed design ".........as you can see from my post below in 2007, , I freely admit that a pack of desiccant is needed inside the cabinet.

All I'll say now is that if it is a " flawed design " , it has certainly worked VERY well for me in its flawed state for over 30 yrs.

There are hundreds of bullet casters that have kept molds in .50 cal. cans for yrs without a hint of a problem. Many of them have no heat source.

02-24-2007, 07:10 AM #29
Ben
Boolit Master

Stew:

Good suggestions,.......I KNOW this system will work as I've had all my Lyman molds in a .50 cal can with a " night light " burning for over 30 years. Never a spec of rust during the 30 yrs.

I'm confident that with the 7.5 Watt light bulb burning and some desiccant, this system will take me right on into eternity, rust free.

Ben

Patrick L
11-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Ben,

Wow! That is some setup you got.

I don't think I need the heat source up here in the Northeast, as it is only humid for a short time and I'm not casting then! But there's certainly no arguing with success, and you've certainly enjoyed that!

Old Ironsights
11-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I store mold in the refrigerator, usually on the cheese!

Dammit. That was my gag... :razz:

Ben
11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Patrick L:

As you are probably aware, here in the south ( I live 40 miles north of Birmingham ), the humidity in the summer time can hit 85% - 95% and stay like that for days on end.

The high heat and high humidity is a real killer on blued steel firearms. You have to keep a constant watch on your firearms and iron molds if you don't have them stored in a humidity controlled environment.

Thanks for your nice comments,

Ben