PDA

View Full Version : Looking for load for .45 LC

robertbank
12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I have the Beretta Stampeder which is the clone of the Colt SAA. Friend sent me a RCBS Mold #45 - 300 - SWC. It is a gas check design. Until I get some gas checks I inted to shoot the bullet without same. Looking for a load for this bullet using any of the following powders:

Unique
Titegroup
Win296
Longshot

Good starting load would help. I don't want to push the limits here just a good solid load. I think the bullet is a bit heavy for .45acp but any thoughts on that would be usefel as well. I think the slower powders will work better for this size of bullet but you can comment on that as well.

Stay Safe

felix
12-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Bob, make you own quasi check by filling the case with slight compression using shotgun filler. You should be able to shoot fairly accurately by using this technique with any of the powders you listed. DO NOT load the Ruger loads as given in the books with that light of a gun. I would not contemplate using that heavy of a boolit in an ACP gun. Did you get your 255 grainer mold yet? ... felix

versifier
12-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Titegroup 5.2, 2400 12.5, and UNQ 6.6 for 300grainers in .45LC. The last two are fairly hot loads. All of them worked well out of a friend's Ruger BH. I don't have the notes from the testing, he does, and I cannot reach him at present. They were bullets that he cast (GC) and some he swaged - no jackets - that didn't do as well. I have none of the particulars like the size, lube, mold #'s or OAL's, but they were both swc's in profile. I just noted the most accurate performers by circling the charge weights in the manual. I remember that I did the loading for him (unusual) with his dies because I had some free time while he had a really busy work schedule and it gave us more range time together on his day off. Wish I could be more help, if I can contact him, I'll try for more data for you. :-)

versifier
12-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Just saw Felix's posting. Ignore the last two loads. I thought those repros were pretty rugged, but that's from reading, not personal experience. Titegroup load is from the light end of the chart, but maybe you should back off on it a bit and work up.

robertbank
12-15-2005, 02:18 PM
HI Felix PM sent. Nope the mold hasn't arrived yet. should be here this week I hope. May get caught in Christmas mail. sometimes customs can be slower than a dea snail. Our post offices aren't much better! You sent it parcel post did you not?

robertbank
12-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Good morning. The Stampeder is certainly as strong or stronger than the Colt SAA post war versions. I think Felix was referring to the Ruger Blackhawks that are built like tanks and compared to the SAA are a lot bigger guns.

I am going to try the Titegroup loads first and see how they do over the chrono. Titegroup usually burns at lower pressures. I'll back off the 2400 load down to 11 gr. and see how it goes. Will look for that info your friend has as well.

If I can find a load that runs around 850 fps ot 900 fps using this bullet safely in my gun I'll be a happy clam. The meplat on this bullet is huge.

The mold I bought from Felix likelwise has a huge meplat and sharpe shoulders and should be just the ticket for keeping black bears at bay.

Anyone else with experience with these powders please chime in.

Thanks guys

44man
12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I didn't see that you have 300 gr boolits on you latest post. They should shoot fine without a gas check because the drive area is long enough. You should not need any filler. Shotgun filler will pack into the space the missing gas check would use and aid the gas seal but will not replace the boolit length needed for stability. In other words, if you had a short boolit and left the check off, it might not stabilize but since your boolit is longer to start with, it might just shoot great. Most of the problems with leaving gas checks off is due to shortening the drive length for the rate of twist. Try them as they are. If you get a lot of leading, then try the filler.

Blackwater
12-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Just an off topic question, if ya' don't mind, but have you shot any of those 300's in the Beretta yet, and if so, is the front sight high enough to get a good zero with them? Just curious.

robertbank
12-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi

Not yet. I will go out tomorrow. I have some loads to test over the chrono and the sun is finally going to come out enought to cast a shadow. I'll let you know how I make out with them.

Stay Safe

Bob