PDA

View Full Version : talc or corn starch?

unclebill
11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
i have been using XLOX for a few months and i spend a few hours a week just reading here and absorbing knowledge.
ok here goes.
i dont know how folks get alox/xlox to dry overnight .
mine takes over a week and they are still tacky.
i am just sick of getting that stinky crap on my fingers and dies.
i am ready to coat my bullets with something and the 2 items i named sound great.
i dont have to special order it and it,s not expensive.
what say you
o learned casters?:mrgreen:

thanks
bill

unclebill
11-13-2008, 09:51 PM

hyoder
11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I use fine white mica

unclebill
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
i live in the woods 8 miles outside of a small town in colorado.
that would be one more thing to special order and wait a week for as well as paying out the nose for shipping.
i am going to try corn starch.
thanks anyhow though.
bill

mooman76
11-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Try JPW instead. It isn't as sticky.

jcwit
11-14-2008, 12:16 AM
I used to use liquid Alox, doing a tumble lube. I agree that it never seemed to dry. Finally got an old #45 Lyman sizer/luber for $15.00 and never looked back. Bought a few sizing dies, and use my own lube mix close to some in the recipe section. Works great, not messy, don't get the build-up in the seating die. Now have 2 of the #45, paid $20.00 for the sec. one. This might be the way for you to go, I know I'm glad I changed. Dang it, don't like using that word "I" this much.

unclebill
11-14-2008, 12:30 AM
i put some boolits in a baggie with some corn starch.
it is a lot more pleasant to touch!

Shiloh
11-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Are you using the alox full strength??

I cut mine by about a third with mineral spirits and warm it in the microwave before use. Don't put too much on just a light coat is plenty. Even if all the micro-lube grooves aren't filled all the way it still seems to work fine. Mind you, I am using this stuff for pistol boolits at around 800 fps. I have gone up to just under 1100 with no problems.

Anytime I have had stickiness, and it will happen in the upper midwest summer humidity, is when it is put on too heavy or thick.

I had a Bomar sight put on a 1911 and I have shot more than 600 through it since it was returned in late September. :Fire: All were the LEE 200 gr. TLSWC six banger mold variety.

Shiloh :castmine:

unclebill
11-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Are you using the alox full strength??

I cut mine by about a third with mineral spirits and warm it in the microwave before use. Don't put too much on just a light coat is plenty. Even if all the micro-lube grooves aren't filled all the way it still seems to work fine. Mind you, I am using this stuff for pistol boolits at around 800 fps. I have gone up to just under 1100 with no problems.

Anytime I have had stickiness, and it will happen in the upper midwest summer humidity, is when it is put on too heavy or thick.

I had a Bomar sight put on a 1911 and I have shot more than 600 through it since it was returned in late September. :Fire: All were the LEE 200 gr. TLSWC six banger mold variety.

Shiloh :castmine:

yes i have cut it.
when i 1st got a quart of xlox it was as thick as asphalt roofing patch.
i have diluted it at least 1/2 and 1/2
i have softened it before use also.
i think i am going to try a tablespoon of xlox to a cup of mineral spirits and see if that helps.

BTW
this is for cowboy loads and full wadcutter 38sp's

unclebill
11-14-2008, 08:51 AM
i put some boolits in a baggie with some corn starch.
it is a lot more pleasant to touch!

my bullets look like lil powdered donuts of death now.............. :mrgreen:

BulletGeek
11-14-2008, 11:38 AM
my bullets look like lil powdered donuts of death now.............. :mrgreen:

Must be hollow-points. :D

unclebill
11-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Must be hollow-points. :D

TEE HEE
snicker.....

unclebill
11-14-2008, 10:21 PM
i bought a lee sizer in 45 and 44 along with 1000 g.c.'s of each
they got here today.
that was fast!
i just got done sizin and a checkin a bunch of bullets i had already lubed.
since i had never seen alox before
when i bought the xlox i didn't know what consistency it was supposed to be.
the alox that came with the sizer was nice and runny and worked well in an old jar.
the xlox i bought was the consistency of tar roofing patch stuff.
very thick and would not pour at all.
i can cut it 3 to 1 or more to make it like the alox.

dromia
11-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Cornflour, cheap, available and does the business.

As the actress said to the Bishop. :-D