PDA

View Full Version : 115 gn powder coated bullet for 327 magnum

BeemerMark
01-09-2020, 11:45 PM
I need a recommendation for a 115 gn powder coated hard bullet for the 327 magnum. Most bullets I've tried are for the 32-20 (COAL ~ 1.600) and too long for the 327 magnum (COAL ~1.450).
I've tried contacting all the usual suspects asking crimp to nose length but no one replies. TIA

Wheelguns 1961
01-10-2020, 02:26 AM
I have bought some 115gn coated bullets from badman’s bullets that worked fine in my single seven. It has been awhile, but I think they were under the 32-20 catagory. The reason I got these was because I was looking for a .314 diameter. Acme bullet company also sells a 115gn, but their quality wasn’t very good. What gun are you shooting these in? My single seven will take 1.50” max.

Green Frog
01-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Are you willing to cast and coat your own, or are you only going to buy your bullets ready to shoot? The original Ideal 3118 design these other, later adaptations tend to be longer in the nose, thus give a longer COAL.

As you have discovered, the smaller Ruger frame in the Single Seven mandates a relatively short cylinder, thus limiting your length of bullets. In my view, this is a “step back” from what Ruger offered in the Blackhawk iteration of the 327. Some folks say the BH is “too big” but this is a definite case of “you get what you ask for.” If you ask for a smaller gun, you get a smaller cylinder. OK, rant over.

Back to the original question, if you are willing to cast and coat for yourself, there are some nice designs available from Accurate, MP, and NOE in the 110-115 grain range with RNFP profiles... you just have to look. I’ve got a MP mould that drops a 105 grain HP, and if I change the pins it will go to 110 or so as a solid, but still has a short enough nose to keep the COAL down to what you need. Remember, weight translates to length. This length can either be inside the case, taking up powder space, or be in the nose which of course will increase COAL.

Froggie

Mark McWillis
01-10-2020, 05:43 PM
I'm using a Lyman 311002, I think, that drops at 117 from my mould. 1.45 COAL and well short of the end of the S7 cylinder.

Green Frog
01-10-2020, 07:16 PM
I'm using a Lyman 311002, I think, that drops at 117 from my mould. 1.45 COAL and well short of the end of the S7 cylinder.

I think you mean 311008, don't you? That's the one I was referring to in my previous post. It was my main (only?) mould before I went to lighter and heavier ones for specific applications, but if I could only have one bullet for all my 32 loads, that would probably be my choice. It was originally designed for the 32029 and is such an old design it was originally given the four digit code 3118, which in modern times was expanded to the present 311008 so it would have the "proper" number of digits for the catalog.

Be aware that my friend Outpost75 has commented on its lack of a proper crimping groove, so if you want to make hot loads for a revolver using this bullet, this may be a problem, as taper crimped bullets might back out under recoil. It's a grand old mould, but it does have its limitations.

The good news (if you are willing to cast for yourself) is that "these are the good old days" as far as 32 cal bullets are concerned. While Lyman has discontinued all but a couple of their 32 size bullets, there is an almost overwhelming selection of mould designs available from the manufacturers I mentioned in my previous post as well as probably others I forgot. Then again, Lee and RCBS mass produce a couple of pretty good ones, and there are the group buys, and, and, and... yep, these are exciting times to be casting your own 32 caliber pistol bullets! :cbpour:

Froggie

Mark McWillis
01-10-2020, 10:32 PM
Froggie,

My bad...I'm twice wrong. I do have a 311008 but the bullet I was thinking of is a Saeco 322 RNFP and it does have a crimping groove.

Green Frog
01-11-2020, 09:30 AM
Mark, thanks for that additional info. I tend to forget about SAECO as they are pretty rare around here. I’ll just have to get busy and look that one up. I passed last weekend on the opportunity to buy a B&M 4 cavity mould for a true BB wad cutter offered at a gun show. I see this guy often and if he still has it... [smilie=s:

Yep, if you are willing to cast your own, there are a ton of good designs available on the new or used market. To the OP; we haven’t heard your response yet. Are you willing to cast and coat your own are are you committed to buying ready-to-load bullets? If you “roll your own” you get a lot more options. ;)

Froggie

Green Frog
01-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Addendum to last: I just went and checked out that SAECO 322 design (the current one.) All I can say is just “WOW!” If I had owned that mould 25 years ago, I’m not sure how many of my recent buys would have tempted me! As I went through a few of the references, one from friend Outpost75 popped up referring to this mould (if I understood him correctly) being “optimized” for the Single Seven length cylinder... and I can believe it! It would also be dandy in 32 H&R loads, etc, etc. BeemerMark, if you are willing to cast your own or can find a vendor with this bullet for sale, it might be just what you are looking for. Since SAECO is a premium grade mould, some commercial caster might be using one if you look around. :coffeecom

A little OT, but if anyone has a long enough cylinder to take advantage of it, the 314008 from NOE is a whopping 125 grains in my example and makes for a very impressive round when loaded with Accurate #7 or #9. Unfortunately it would stick out of the front of the Single Seven cylinder. :(

Froggie

ACC
01-11-2020, 11:59 AM
I need a recommendation for a 115 gn powder coated hard bullet for the 327 magnum. Most bullets I've tried are for the 32-20 (COAL ~ 1.600) and too long for the 327 magnum (COAL ~1.450).
I've tried contacting all the usual suspects asking crimp to nose length but no one replies. TIA

Go to Accurate Bullet molds. They have a Keith Type my brother designed for NEI and Accurate took it over. Good hunting bullets. As hard as my brother was casting it, it would end up weighing 107 or there abouts.

ACC

BeemerMark
01-11-2020, 01:50 PM
I'm not interested in casting mine own. Please look at my question - I need a recommendation for a 115 gn powder coated hard bullet for the 327 magnum. Please don't hijack the thread and make it about mold recommendations.

megasupermagnum
01-11-2020, 02:20 PM
I have never tried this particular bullet, but the nose is certainly short. You can buy 100ct sample packs. I would be surprised if this didn't fit a single seven.

https://www.snscasting.com/32-20-115-grain-round-nose-flat-point-red-coated-500ct/

Actually, look at the customer experiences. There is a picture of loaded rounds and a single seven. Unless that guy is lying, these WILL fit.

BeemerMark
01-12-2020, 01:21 AM
I have never tried this particular bullet, but the nose is certainly short. You can buy 100ct sample packs. I would be surprised if this didn't fit a single seven.

https://www.snscasting.com/32-20-115-grain-round-nose-flat-point-red-coated-500ct/

Actually, look at the customer experiences. There is a picture of loaded rounds and a single seven. Unless that guy is lying, these WILL fit.

I saw the SNS web site and sent them an email, never got a reply. I did not see the picture though, thanks for pointing that out. I'll buy 500, even if they fit they'll work in my 32-20. I do a lot of casting but I hate casting little bullets in quantity. And I tried powder coating - what a mess.

pakmc
01-14-2020, 06:48 PM
I shoot a meisters swc bullet of 115gr's that come to me powder coated. they seem to be quite accurate. I'm shooting them in a Ruger GP100 or a SP101(which ever comes first.)(I have one of each.) I use 4.4 gr's of WW 231. these are shot double action at Steel plates. i'm using .327 brass but I have 32 mag. brass and this load works with it too.(no signs of pressure on fired primer) the load feels like the .32 H&R mag. load..