PDA

View Full Version : Starting again

Doubles Shooter
01-04-2020, 09:11 AM
After about a 45 year layoff, I'm going to start casting again. Going to cast for my .45 auto. I was recently given a 10 pound Lee dripolator that doesn't drip so far along with about 100 pounds of lead pipe. I started smelting and cleaning some of it a couple days ago. I needed an ingot mold so I commandeered my wife's new mimi muffin pan. I know, stupid move, but I needed it. Any way, I did a load of ingots. When I dumped them out, they were all foamy looking on the bottom. Could the heavy non stick coating on the pan cause this? Everything was bone dry.

I can't get a picture to upload for some reason. Keep getting a message saying failure to upload picture. Sorry

Texas by God
01-04-2020, 09:29 AM
It ain’t a NEW muffin pan anymore! You say foamy looking, maybe trapped air bubbles made the imprints. Welcome to the forum- you’ll like it here.
You better sneak off to the mini muffin pan store and get a replacement before she needs a new rolling pin!

StuBach
01-04-2020, 09:51 AM
+1 on the welcome back the the addiction and to the forum.

I have seen similar when dropping into a cold ingot mold especially my muffin pans. Don’t believe it’s anything to worry about but I have always been told to only use bare aluminum or cast iron pans for ingots, I don’t think the non-stock is rated above 500 degrees so dropping 600degree+ lead into is probably cooking it off I would assume but I’m no expert.

nun2kute
01-04-2020, 09:53 AM
as long as it doesn't look oatmilly on top, i'd try casting some and look for good fill-out and consistent weight.

Minerat
01-04-2020, 10:30 AM
Welcome back, I have the same problem with the muffin tins the first time. It was trapped gas bubbles from the finish cooking off. As to the pictures they may be too large, file size.

This FAQ link will explain.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

Try reducing the size here is the limits from FAQ
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_attachments (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/faq.php?
faq=vb3_attachments)

Hope this helps.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2020, 10:34 AM
When I dumped them out, they were all foamy looking on the bottom. Could the heavy non stick coating on the pan cause this? Everything was bone dry.
Foamy is common with coated muffin pans...once you cook off all the coating, the foamy look will go away.

Doubles Shooter
01-04-2020, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Yes the top 1/2-2/3rds of the ingot looks great. Also, I am getting another pan today before the bullet and sinker molds she doesn't know about show up Monday.

charlie b
01-04-2020, 11:39 AM
And, if you 'borrow' a pie pan to do cookie cutter lube then don't try and return it either :)

Funny how I don't cook in the kitchen but I ended up with pie tins, muffin tins, measuring cups, strainers, spoons, spatulas, etc, etc. :)

lightman
01-04-2020, 11:45 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits and welcome back to casting.

Like the others said, your foamy looking stuff is probably from the non stick surface or the seasoning. It won't hurt anything. You probably already know this, but once a utensil has lead on it you should not use it for cooking.

Lead pipe is soft lead and you will probably need to add something to make it a little harder for your 45. A favorite mix is 50-50 soft lead and clip on wheel weights with 1 or 2% tin added. Straight clip on wheel weights also work great for most hand guns. That lead pipe will work great for your fishing sinkers.

Your biggest challenge is going to be finding a source of lead. Availability differs from one area of the Country to another. There are a lot of stickies on lead. From where to find it, how to sort wheel weights, the make up of wheel weights, ect. They are worth reading.

Good Luck, looking forward to seeing your post.

wv109323
01-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Welcome back
IIRC, Dollar Tree has a suitable muffin pan for $1.00 to make ingots.
The pure lead may make suitable and accurate boolits for the .45 acp, if the velocities are kept at 800 fps or less. Hornady and others make swagged bullets for the .45 which are soft lead. Try a few a target velocities if that serves your shooting needs.
A load of 4.2g of Bullseye powder with a 200g. bullet should function a 1911 with standard springs.

GregLaROCHE
01-04-2020, 12:12 PM
I would say there was probably a non stick coating that could support normal baking temperature, but not molten lead. Wire brush it and try repour. You might have to do it twice. The best is if you could bead blast it.

Be careful melting pipe. Sometimes it seems dry, but there is a crud in them that can contain moisture. It’s best not fold them over forming a containment area for steam to be trapped. Cutting them cross wise and putting them in vertically is much water. I learned the hard way !

TjB101
01-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Be careful melting pipe. Sometimes it seems dry, but there is a crud in them that can contain moisture. It’s best not fold them over forming a containment area for steam to be trapped.

I had a similar problem with a hundred pounds of lead sinkers I bought. Had a little moisture inside one of the sinkers and had a small pop (lucky it popped the other way)... I bake all my lead for a while to ensure they are completely dry before tossing it into my pot.

kevin c
01-04-2020, 01:59 PM
As others have said it's the coating, is not harmful to the lead, and will stop once it burns out.

If you want the coating gone sooner, you can burn it out with a torch (I used a weed burner) and scour out the residue. Do NOT inhale the smoke as it burns or the ash that comes off. I had a nasty cough for a long time that I'm pretty sure came from being incautious that way.

jessdigs
01-05-2020, 05:01 AM
Welcome back. I'm kinda new at all of this, and I would recommend checking out powder coating.
I never used a lubrisizer, but from what I hear powder coating is better, cleaner, faster.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

charlie b
01-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Lubrisizers work ok and are easy to use. They can be messy if not adjusted properly but with the right lube they make nice bullets.

I went to powder coating for a number of reasons, main one being I did not have a lubrisizer and did not really want to buy one. Since I started PC I probably won't go back to bullet lube. It is a little more time consuming but worth it to me.

Doubles Shooter
01-05-2020, 08:36 AM
I am defiantly going to try powder coating. That's a big reason why I'm doing this. I have a Lyman 450, but don't want to deal with the mess. The Lee push through die sounds like the perfect KISS tool for sizing them. I have grandkids for that job. The soft lead will probably just be used for jigs/sinkers. I have a bunch of Lyman #2 ingots to get started, also tin ingots to make more.
I also found my Father's Ideal .38/.357 148 grain WC molds. A single with handles, and a double without. I need to find a set for it some day, but seeing how I don't have a .38 anymore, it's not a big deal. I have two Lee two cavity molds coming tomorrow. A SWC and Ball. Searching for an old toaster oven to get ready for powder coating. If you don't hear from me for a couple days, it's because the wife got to the mail before me and I'm in recovery.

lightman
01-05-2020, 11:57 AM
I am defiantly going to try powder coating. That's a big reason why I'm doing this. I have a Lyman 450, but don't want to deal with the mess. If you don't hear from me for a couple days, it's because the wife got to the mail before me and I'm in recovery.

I still have the Lyman 450 that I started with. Its not really messy unless the seal in the bottom is worn out. Then lube works its way out around the bottom. I mostly use a Star these days and its not really messy either. There is a small learning curve with sizers.

Powder coating also has a learning curve. Those that do powder coating swear by it. Powder coating will allow you to use softer lead.

I'm gearing up to start loading for another caliber, the 41 Magnum. This week I've purchased 1000 new cases, a Lee case trimmer, 2 sets of Lee Bullet Mold handles, enough MTM plastic boxes for my loaded rounds and I have a new bullet mold on order from Tom @ Accuratemolds. So yeah, the CC took a hit and the Wife did one of Her patented eye rolls! As soon as that bill arrives and gets paid I'll order a couple of sizing dies from Lathesmith! Hah, another eye roll! :p

charlie b
01-06-2020, 12:02 AM
If you can find one in your budget a convection oven is a bunch better than toaster ovens. Even temps inside oven and usually a little bit bigger.

StuBach
01-06-2020, 07:17 AM
I am defiantly going to try powder coating. That's a big reason why I'm doing this. I have a Lyman 450, but don't want to deal with the mess. The Lee push through die sounds like the perfect KISS tool for sizing them. I have grandkids for that job. The soft lead will probably just be used for jigs/sinkers. I have a bunch of Lyman #2 ingots to get started, also tin ingots to make more.
I also found my Father's Ideal .38/.357 148 grain WC molds. A single with handles, and a double without. I need to find a set for it some day, but seeing how I don't have a .38 anymore, it's not a big deal. I have two Lee two cavity molds coming tomorrow. A SWC and Ball. Searching for an old toaster oven to get ready for powder coating. If you don't hear from me for a couple days, it's because the wife got to the mail before me and I'm in recovery.

I am one of those that swear by PC. It is a little longer process than just lubing on the sizer but is much less mess. Most of my casting is done for my dad who shoots pin competitions and does ballistic testing and he is also a huge fan of PC.

Recommend going with Smoke’s powders (vendor on the forum). He tests all his powders and will let you know what ones can be BB tumbled and which ones require a sprayer. He will even sell the BBs if you need.

Petander
01-06-2020, 09:47 AM
Welcome back - I had a break,too. Then coatings got me interested in cast again... and I've been casting on a higher gear than ever now for the last couple of years.

Doubles Shooter
01-06-2020, 06:05 PM
Yep, I'm looking forward to PC bullets. My new Lee .45acp molds came in from Triton today. Going to cast a bunch tomorrow and going to call in an order for a 3 color sample pack from Smoke in the morning. All I'll need is a Goodwill toaster oven.

Doubles Shooter
01-06-2020, 06:11 PM
I'm defiantly looking forward to PC bookies. My new Lee .45acp molds came in from Titan today. Going to call in an order to Smoke tomorrow morning for a 3 color sample pack and some bb's, then cast bullets. All I need to do is hit Goodwill for a toaster oven.

Doubles Shooter
01-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Well, it finally happened. I've been down sick the last few days. Today, I finally got to play. I was just going to cast some trolling sinkers to send to my brother. I got thinking this would be a good time to break in my new bullet molds. It is just soft lead, but they actually look like bullets. Damn it felt good. Next time, I'll put in my harder mix and start casting. I've got an order of powder paint coming from Smoke next week. Got to get ready.254582254583

fredj338
01-10-2020, 04:03 PM
Yeah pure lead doesn't cast pretty, even in ingots. Now go replace the wife's muffin tin.

Doubles Shooter
01-10-2020, 04:51 PM
Yeah pure lead doesn't cast pretty, even in ingots. Now go replace the wife's muffin tin.

Already did. Actually she was good with me taking it. It was too late to say no when she found out anyway.[smilie=l:

Cherokee
01-10-2020, 11:11 PM
Welcome back. Have fun.