PDA

View Full Version : Gunbooks, can u suggest some?

Ivantherussian03
11-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I am interested reading gun books and learning more about them. My gun library is meager. Can u guys kindly suggest some? many thanks

11-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Ivan,
For cabin fever I imagine? W AK specifically SW AK has to be one the most special places on the planet, IMO.

All tastes differ. There are a bunch of books on military/paramilitary arms. Then there are many on accurate and super-accurate rifles. Then more on handguns, shotguns, old guns, different makes, etc. etc.

A few I constantly scan, read and use because of my tastes include but not limited to:

Hatcher's Notebook by Julian Hatcher
Buffalo Rifles by Mike Venturino
Lever Guns by Mike Venturino
Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes
The Winchester Book by George Madis
Flayderman's Guide by Norm Flayderman
Winchester, American Legend by RL Wilson

Various specific model reference books by: Poyer, Pirkle and Riesch

.... and many more :mrgreen:

Bigjohn
11-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Ivan, I was going to stay out of this one but, seeing as how you have opened the can of worns; here goes.

If you wish to learn more, about which aspect of firearms and shooting were you speaking. As '405' listed above there are a great many books on shooting just lurking out there..............some where.

Some of those on my bookshelf are;

'Yours Truly' by Harvey Donaldson
'The Sharp Shooter' by Matt & Bruce Grant (JeffinNZ may be able to help on this one)
'Target Rifle Shooting' by Major E.G.B. Reynolds & Robin Fulton
'The Home guide to Cartridge Conversions' by George C. Nonte Jr.
'Modern Handloading' by Maj. George C. Nonte Jr.
'Shotguns & Shooting' by Tony Jackson
Most books written by Paul Matthews on BPCR.
Wolfe's Gunsmithing Tips & Projects
Frank De HAAS Books on Single Shot Rifle

and on and on and on...................

If you have a specific line you wish to take, it would be easier to suggest something because if you follow a whim, you will spend all your 'Hard earned's' on filling the library.

John.:coffee:

Bret4207
11-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Everything by Elmer Keith, Phil Sharpe, Ned Roberts, CS Landis, Townsend Whelen, PO Ackley, Ed Crossman. That'll get you started. Google "The Firearms Classics Library" and check those titles. The list of good books runs into the hundreds. What specific areas interest you?

leadeye
11-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Any of Pete Capstick's books are good hunting reads. George Nonte had some good gun books out as well.

missionary5155
11-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Also invest in a Old Lyman/ Ideal reloading Catalog reprint if you are intersted in shooting antique firearms.

KCSO
11-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I was lucky enough to buy the Firearms Classic Library a few years back for $50. I got them from an Ex Wife who insisted I take them, 28 books, for that price. She alos insisted that i TELL her EX what I paid!
If you are interested in Cowboy guns all of Venturino's books, Joe DeRosa's tooo.

utk
11-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Cornell Publishers have LOTS of quality reprints. Abby is great to deal with!

(Also old Lyman/Ideal reloading catalog reprints).

http://www.cornellpubs.com/

Bullshop
11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
We have a couple for sale. One is a clasic, "The Rifle in America" by Phil Sharpe reprint by NRA. Hard cover leather bound new condition, sale or trade $50.00.
"Encyclapedia of buffalo hunters" by Leo Remiger and Miles Gilbert, hard cover new condition, sale or trade $25.00
BIC/BS

mister gizmo
11-11-2008, 02:41 PM
If your taste runs to hunting, I've just posted 18 books in the classifieds.

gizmo

AZ-Stew
11-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Not yet mentioned:

"No Second Place Winner" Bill Jordan

"The Accurate Rifle" Warren Page

And when you've gotten your fill of reality, anything written by Patrick F. McMannus. You'll be rolling on the floor.

Regards,

Stew

Bent Ramrod
11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
They are out of print, but good, concise references to about everything made up to about 50 years ago are "Pistols--A Modern Encyclopedia" and "Rifles--A Modern Encyclopedia" by Henry M. Stebbins. Of course, they say nothing about wondernines, sheet-metal and plastic autoloaders, short-, medium-, long- and ultralong Ultra-Mags, or anything "tactical." This information gap seems to keep the prices of these books low in used-book stores. They are thus a bargain for those who admire obsolescent hardwood-and-steel firearms.

MtGun44
11-11-2008, 08:45 PM
+1 for the Venturino books on Lever Guns and Buffalo Rifles.

I have been told repeatedly that Capstick was not a professional hunter
and used other people's stories for his books. True or not, they are well
written and enjoyable. I guess the key is to take them with a grain of
salt.

"Sixguns and their cartridges" - Elmer Keith - lots of still very valid info on
getting good results from revolvers.
"African Rifles & Cartridges" - John Taylor - great info on cartridges and rifles
and not only the big honkers, from an experienced African hunter.
"Handgun Hunting" - George Nonte, Jr.

"The Art of the Rifle" - Jeff Cooper, small and short, but good basic technique
information.

"The Gun and Its Development" by W. W. Greener is a large work and can be
pretty dry, but is a good look at the history. Early book; Mauser 98 is barely
mentioned - too new! Mostly prior to about 1880s. Only worth buying if a
good deal as a basic reference.

"Wild Bill Hickock: Gunfighter" by Ross - Ross is the best biographer of Hickock,
and has written several good books on Wild Bill. All are worth reading. Hickock
was an unusual and amazing man, worth separating the stories from the facts.

"Buffalo Days" - J. W. Hunt, real stories from an actual buffalo hunter, a reprint
of a long gone book. State House Press,McMurray University, Abilene, TX

Lots more out there, I'll be taking notes from the other guys. :-D

Bill

Ivantherussian03
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Keep em coming :-D:-D

I love guns, history hunting, and reading. I am going to print this list and read the ones that sound interesting.

many thanks to all :coffee:

Blackwater
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
If you're impressionable, and subject to the power of suggestion, do NOT ... I repeat NOT ... get a copy of Mic McPherson's "Accurizing the Factory Rifle." It'll give ya' ideas, an' th' next thing ya' know, you'll be hooked on modifying and accurizing and customizing all yer guns.

A 2nd vote for "Yours Truly, Harvey Donaldson," and I'd also suggest the two Annuals put out by Precision Shooting magazine. Those annuals have both technical and human interest subjects, and are very nice reads as well as good technical advice.

From the NRA's Firearms Classic Library, my own personal favorite is Dilin's "The Kentucky Rifle." It even shows some old rifling "machines" and they're amazing. Shows just how darn GOOD those oldtimers really were to use that kind of equipment, and produce some of the most beautiful pieces of art and utility ever devised by the hands of man.

davwingman
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Any of Skeeter Skelton's work will hold your attention!

waksupi
11-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Ivan, not strictly gun related. But, considering your location, get some Russell Annabel books. I will guarantee, after you read one, you will want to read them all.

Bret4207
11-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Both Stebbins books that Bent Ramrod mentioned are absolutely wonderful. I highky recommend both.

MT Gianni
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Hunter, by John Hunter is the story of a Scotsman who moved to Africa post WW2 and became a white hunter/guide. I find it an interesting read.

StrawHat
11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I'll second the recommendation of "Hunter", great book. I gave it to a friend who passed it on to ??? I hope it continues to get read.

Others to consider;

How I Became a Crack Shot by Milton Farrow

Fast and Fancy Pistol and Revolver Shooting by Ed McGivern by modern standards it is a rough read but worth it.

The book about the Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifle by Joe Kindig. I don't remember the title but a good read if you like the American Long rifle.

Anything by Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Jeff Cooper, Towsend Whelen.

Unfortunately most of what we recommend will be hard to find!

AZ-Stew
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Forgot about another favorite author, Gene Hill. "A Hunter's Fireside Book" will get you started. Think tweed and bird dogs. After reading it, you'll want to make a project of finding his other works.

Regards,

Stew

Potsy
11-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Both volumes of Elmer Keith's "Gun Notes" are great reading.
It is a collection of all his Guns & Ammo articles from 1961-1982.
There is also a section of letters in the back that was correspondence between Keith, Truman Fowler, and Jack O'Connor. Those letters are worth the price of admission. Jack had a wit that will have you rolling.
"Hell, I was there" by Keith is a good read, as is "The Hunting Rifle" by Jack O'Connor.
For Reference, nothing beats "Cartridges of the World".
As AZ-Stew mentioned, if you're into humor, Pat McManus is awesome. I've been reading him
since I was 12 and he's been writing alot longer than that.
I've also seen where "Rifle" & "Handloader" magazine have put all their past issues on CD. Tons & Tons of good info there and 40 years worth of magazines should occupy some time.

Bigjohn
11-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Ivan, just a thought I had in a weak moment, check in at; http://www.bundukibooks.com/

He is here donunder but imports books from around the world. On his website he has a link to his price list, your can download it for free and there is a list of book titles, authors names and a brief description of over a 100 shooting/hunting related books.

You should be able to locate another source or contact Peter.

John.

StrawHat
11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Here is another one for you,

The Rifle and Hound in Ceylon by Sir Samuel Baker.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3231

Baker was quite the fellow and thought using a rifle to hunt stag and elk to be unsporting. Dogs and a sword! Makes for a good read.

also Wild Beasts and their Ways.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3657

Many other, search the site,

Getting ready for a long winter night?

Philngruvy
10-21-2009, 06:22 PM
A MUST read for serious 2nd Amendment advocates.
Unintended Consequences by John Ross

4570guy
10-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Just about any of the books mentioned above can be found used at www.abebooks.com. Prices vary so you need to watch. Also, watch condition. I typically try to purchase G or VG condition books. If you get down to "Fair", the condition can be pretty rough.

Hurricane
10-22-2009, 12:35 AM
If you are interested in projects, "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions" by W. Ellis Brown might be of interest. The 2nd edition is available for $54.95 + shipping. Not cheap but I think learning to build double rifles would be very interesting.

SGT Singer
10-22-2009, 05:16 PM
My tastes tend toward shooting and politics, and less toward hunting. If that suits you, the following have not yet been mentioned:

Stopping Power by J. Neil Schulman (eBook available here: http://www.pulpless.com/jneil/ )

Boston's Gun Bible by Boston T. Party (Kenneth Royce)

Light and fun reading for the gun nut: Anything by L. Neil Smith

Dean D.
10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Ivan, if you like historical stuff you might like to find a copy of "The Complete Guide to Handloading" by Philip B. Sharpe.

I do not think it is still being printed but that book contains a wealth of information and history. It is my "go to" book for older and/or out dated cartridges. It has a lot of just plain good reading between the data charts.

.30/30 Guy
10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
"Cast Bullets" by Col. E. H. Harrison

waksupi
10-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Gunsmithing Tips and Projects.

abunaitoo
10-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I just got this book,
America's Great Gunmakers By Wayne Van Zwoll.
So far it's great reading.
Kind of like a history of firearms.

For a book you'll never get tired of reading,
Unintended Consequences By John Ross
I feel this should be a must read for all high school seniors.
When I have nothing do to, I just open it up to anywhere and start reading.
Great reading. Great book.

The Double D
10-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Greeners Gun and it's development was mentioned up thread. It can be dry. But it has some real interesting stuff in it about early cartridge development and loading and the information is well worth digging out. It is especially useful when working with old large blackpowder cartridge with modern powders.

Another good book is Charlie Dell's The Modern Schuetzen Rifle. Lots of good information on reduced load and cast bullets.

Philngruvy
10-23-2009, 08:59 AM
For a book you'll never get tired of reading,
Unintended Consequences By John Ross
I feel this should be a must read for all high school seniors.When I have nothing do to, I just open it up to anywhere and start reading.
Great reading. Great book.

I agree!

closey
10-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Ivan, if you are interested in the Lee Enfield marque....

The Lee Enfield Rifle by Major E.G.B. Reynolds,

The Lee Enfield Story by Skennerton.