PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check Seater

Spokerider
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Is there an alternative method to seating Gator gas checks on a .460 stepped cast bullet aside from using a luber sizer tool? Gas checked cast bullets are a new experience for me.
I have a mountain man mold on the way in 45 70 and do not own a luber sizer [yet ]. I'd like to cast 20 bullets or so and give'm a try.
Thanks.

KCSO
12-14-2005, 05:15 PM
I once made a g/c seater for a bullet from a 310 priming tool. I silver soldered a stop on the end of a 32 cal primer tool and just dropped the bullet into the front and the gas check behind and squeeze. This could probably be doen with a 45 primer tool if you could pick one up at a gun show. My current seater is a small arbor press I bought from a pawn shop for $5.00.

slughammer
12-14-2005, 07:55 PM
If the shank on the boolits comes out real good, they will seat fully by just pressing them on. You can make sure by pressing on them with an arbor press, drill press, or reloading press. The problem comes then to crimp the check into place. If you have a Lee Factory Crimp Die, you may be able to hold the boolit with your fingers and crimp the check on by using the die. If the check is much more than .001 larger in diameter it could stretch the brass on the way in and actually loosen case neck tension on the boolit. Just be sure to check for setback against the edge of your bench.