PDA

View Full Version : Big 250 lb Eurasion boar-

475/480
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I was at the 4B Ranch on a meat hunt for deer and hogs.I got a nice red colored Eurasion boar this weekend in Abilene,Tx.I was shooting my A. Harton 475 Linebaugh revolver with 375gr cast LFNGC at 1400 fps,the shot broke both shoulders and turned the heart/lung area into a mess.The shot was 64 yards,this boar came to a feeder with 3 other boars at about 7am Saturday morning.I was back in the mesquite brush at about 80 yards and decided to close the distance a little bit (80 yds is too long for me).I picked a mesquite limb for a rest and put the front bead on the shoulder and squeezed,the boar hit the ground at the shot and then got up and ran about 30 yards before piling up in the tall grass.
The 375gr boolit is from a Ballisti-cast mould I have,alloy is straight WW -BHN 14.I had no problem penetrating both shoulders and believe me this boar was HUGE up close.We put the hog on scales and was right at 250 lbs.

Sean

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x150/475480/4BRanch11-09-08010.jpg

Doc Highwall
11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Congratulations on your hunt and sharing the details of your load.

James C. Snodgrass
11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Looks like a good one and to tell the truth 80 yds is to far for a lot of us . It is nice to see some one who is honest about it . Are you going to make sausage or steaks and roasts ? Good job . James:drinks:

chaos
11-10-2008, 12:00 PM
What is a Eurasian boar?

How is that any different than the 7 billion Feral hogs that roam the West Texas region?
We got 'em in red, black, blonde and spotted around Abilene.

Nice shot by the way....nothing like hunting with a handgun. I gave up rifle hunting myself a few years back.

How do you like the 475? I've been hunting with 44's for a good many years. Straight alloy of wheel weights is an excellent choice for hogs. My little 250's have been known to complete pass through more than one hog when they are lined up right. This is the first year I've used cast bullets though

Chaos

corvette8n
11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Wow great shot, someday I will get to TX to hunt hogs.

475/480
11-10-2008, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=chaos;426236]What is a Eurasian boar?

How is that any different than the 7 billion Feral hogs that roam the West Texas region?

From what they told me at the 4B Ranch,the owners of the ranch had pure Russian and Euro boars brought in -in 2003. This boar is 2 years old.

Sean

JDL
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
OOOWWWWeee, pork chops!! :-D Nice going!
JDL

chaos
11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=chaos;426236]What is a Eurasian boar?

From what they told me at the 4B Ranch,the owners of the ranch had pure Russian and Euro boars brought in -in 2003. This boar is 2 years old.

Sean

High fenced outfit? That would make sense. ( lots of folks advertise Russian strain/ etc... when all they have are feral hogs, it is simply not possible to keep a pure strain under low fence operations, without hot wires etc.)
That's the only way you can keep them pure strain as they breed like roaches.
Darn nice pig. I'll bet you had a pure adrenaline dump when he got up after the shot!

The head on that thing is pretty awesome. It does look a bit longer than the feral swine I am used to seeing every other day. But I honestly cant tell the difference between all the strains.

Where is the 4 B ranch exactly.( just out of curiosity) Our place is near the same town listed on their website.( within 5 miles). I'm up in the caprock that ou can see for miles and miles. But I don't recollect ever seeing that outfit. looks like a darn nice place. We havent been out here but a couple of years.

See any rattlers? I took one Saturday morning while out hog hunting myself.

small world out here in the middle of nowhere.

Chaos

475/480
11-10-2008, 02:08 PM
The ranch borders CR 199/CR174. Paul does have a nice place.

Sean

Junior1942
11-10-2008, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=475/480;426254]
when all they have are feral hogs, it is simply not possible to keep a pure strain under low fence operations, without hot wires etc.) ChaosNo fence works 100%. I penned my purebred Hampshire sow when she came in heat and I didn't have a good boar. I looked out toward the pen one morning, and she was backed up against the fence, and a wild boar was leaned up against the wire on the other side, and they were making halfbreed piggies for me.

chaos
11-10-2008, 02:37 PM
The ranch borders CR 199/CR174. Paul does have a nice place.

Sean

Wow. He is close, I'm on Cr 175. maybe I should get out more:-?

waksupi
11-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Good job! I hear they caught the guy who introduced wild hogs illegally in Wisconsin. Gonna cost him some bucks!

Leadforbrains
11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Nice Hog! Congratulations on the good pistol shot. It has been awhile since I have killed me a hog. I'm hopin to slip down to my Dads club and shoot one over the holidays.

Leadforbrains
11-10-2008, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=chaos;426281]No fence works 100%. I penned my purebred Hampshire sow when she came in heat and I didn't have a good boar. I looked out toward the pen one morning, and she was backed up against the fence, and a wild boar was leaned up against the wire on the other side, and they were making halfbreed piggies for me.

That just proves the old adage : "Where there is a will there is a way".:mrgreen:

RugerFan
11-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Good shootin Sean. It's been over a year since I've connected on a hog. Darn things are avoiding me.