PDA

View Full Version : Lee rifle bullets

Longone
11-10-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Lee 180 gr. rifle bullet mold in 30 cal. First of all does it allow the use of gas checks if one desires to use them and is there anything I should be aware of sizing them on a RCBS sizer?

Thanks, Longone

madsenshooter
11-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Most all of the Lee .30 cal molds I've looked at have a gas check shank. Only thing I can think of with your RCBS sizer is remember to get (or make) a top punch to fit the Lee bullet. If you look on Lee's closeout page, they have some 160 and 200 grain 30 caliber molds for only $14!

dromia
11-10-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm assuming you mean the 309-180-R, yes it's a gas check boolit and it will resize fine in any resizer. If its RCBS or a Lyman just make sure your top punch fits well, a dab of epoxy is the usual way of getting a good fit on the nose.

A search will turn up more detailed how to's.

Longone
11-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Madenshooter, I did see the molds you are speaking of, they are a single cavity and for a few bucks more Midway has the two cavity 180 gr. Do you feel that the 200 would be a better choice from an 03-A3 Springfield than the 180?

Buckshot
11-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Madenshooter, I did see the molds you are speaking of, they are a single cavity and for a few bucks more Midway has the two cavity 180 gr. Do you feel that the 200 would be a better choice from an 03-A3 Springfield than the 180?

............Either boolit should do just fine. In fact if you're just going to be punching holes in paper targets I' be shooting the lighter of the two. Less lead going downrange, donchaknow?

After that, what ARE your shooting plans?

Welcome to the board, also!

................Buckshot

Longone
11-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Buckshot, My shooting plans....I am a Hi- Power X- course shooter looking for some relaxation at the bench. I have been casting pistol bullets for about 10 years and have wanted to try some cast rifle bullets so I've been on the hunt for an 03-A3 and have finally found one that will fit my needs.

X-course requires a lot of travel and reloading and I think I am getting a bit burned out from it, in addition to x-course I have been shooting Mid range prone and Long range, fortunately I have a very understanding wife of 26 years.

So now I look forward to punching some holes in paper @ 1 & 200 yards and if I can get a load that shoots well out of this rifle I'll shoot it in prone matches @200 yards and take it a bit easier.

Thanks for the welcome and for the tip on the top punch (Dromia), I'm sure I'll have more questions after the molds arrive ( I ordered both, figured it couldn't hurt).

Longone :drinks:

Buckshot
11-13-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm sure I'll have more questions after the molds arrive ( I ordered both, figured it couldn't hurt).

Longone :drinks:

.............Now THAT'S our kinda caster :-) We're here to help, so just like the guy who can't make up his mind if he wants the Marlin 444 or the 1895. It's so simple ..................buy BOTH!

...............Buckshot