PDA

View Full Version : I broke my High point 995

frkelly74
12-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Actually I had help as I got it used. Anyhow the bolt has started to crack on the underside around the channel that the firing pin travels in. I was shooting and started having to push the bolt forward and then it wouldn't come all the way back. So I took it apart and it didn't look right, the channel got narrow right where the sear comes up to contact the firing pin collar. I am just glad it didn't decide to go full auto on me although that would have stopped my shooting sooner perhaps. So after fiddling with it for a while and taking it apart and reassembling it 4 of 5 times with no improvement, I called High Point service and talked to Lenny. (we are buds now) He said that after many, many rounds the bolt does sometimes begin to crack and you see a narrowing of that channel that the sear fits into. He also said it was covered by the LIFETIME WARRANTY and all i have to do is send it in and they will rebuild the whole thing and replace all the magazines, The only thing I will get back that is original will be the barrel and frame and maybe the stock set. I did ask if they could just send the bolt and he said they could not do that, But that is okay with me if they are going to rebuild it. I can't send it till Jan 6 though as they are all going on Christmas break very soon. I knew I liked High Point!!!

RP
12-09-2019, 05:40 PM
I sent one back for my BIL they repaired / replaced the pistol frame was cracking.

rondog
12-09-2019, 05:59 PM
I've heard of someone sending in a HP carbine they found in a dumpster that had been in a house fire. HP sent them a new one.

Jniedbalski
12-09-2019, 06:52 PM
It will be fixed or they will send you a brand new one . Great warranty

cwtebay
12-10-2019, 01:13 AM
I am absolutely impressed that 1) you broke one! And 2) you got the sucker apart! I have a 90's 45 that I bought as a boat gun, and a carbine that I leave in the calving shed. Neither has ever had a lick of trouble.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

wnc435
12-10-2019, 01:21 AM
I have yet to wear one out or break one. With the carbine you get what the * is that? until you start slapping a 3" plate at 50 yds then everybody wants to shoot. it.

Walks
12-10-2019, 01:29 AM
I remember when they came out about 25yrs ago. We laughed our tushes off.

But, to each their own. As there are cars that are less expensive and tools that are less money.
There should be guns on the low end of the price point.

I had a friend who bought one just to see how it would last.
The gun lasted longer then he did.

GhostHawk
12-10-2019, 08:13 AM
I bought my first hipoint at a pawn shop, 9mm, single stack.

When I got it home I discovered it had magazine release problems.
Called the factory, spoke with a nice polite person. Told them that I bought it second hand at pawn shop and I expected to pay for parts.

They asked for serial #, checked it, said parts will be in the mail. Refused to take my credit card #.

I got the new parts, an awesome set of intstructions including clear pictures detailing exactly what I needed to do.
5 minutes the fix was in. Ohh and in the package was a new spare mag and one of their little mag loaders.

Hard to beat IMO. Since then I have bought 4 carbines, one of which my shooting buddy talked me out of.
My wife likes the 9mm carbine. My favorite is the .45acp. That girl with a Red Dot sight on top just rocks.

frkelly74
12-10-2019, 09:54 AM
I am absolutely impressed that 1) you broke one! And 2) you got the sucker apart! I have a 90's 45 that I bought as a boat gun, and a carbine that I leave in the calving shed. Neither has ever had a lick of trouble.

Well, as I said, I got it used so I can't take all the credit. And u-tube is your friend when it comes to getting things apart and also even more importantly, for getting them back together. I looked up instruction vids and while you can't necessarily rely on the first one you see perhaps, you can actually find helpful info. I have no qualms about taking my Ruger MK II apart any more for instance. There is a drawback or two to the design of the stock for it being a boat gun. It doesn't float, and it won't make a very good paddle.

Lloyd Smale
12-10-2019, 10:32 AM
gave one to my neighbors boy. I don't know how many coffee cans of ammo he shot through it but it would probably fill a pickup. After the first year I told him it was time to learn to cast and load. His father doesn't so I let him use my equipment and dad buys him powder and primers. After 10s of thousands of rounds the rails that the bolt slide on were getting rough and worn. He sent it in and they rebuilt it and sent it back just a week later with a 2 new mags and a mag pouch and a hat. That gun has to be right up there with cars and trucks that have over 300k on the odometer!

gwpercle
12-10-2019, 10:58 AM
I've heard of someone sending in a HP carbine they found in a dumpster that had been in a house fire. HP sent them a new one.

Now that is a No BS Warranty if I ever saw / heard of one.... I just might like High Point's carbines...been thinking of getting one just for fun .
Gary

FLINTNFIRE
12-11-2019, 01:36 AM
Have bought 4 9mm carbines gave to son, son in law, and daughter , have 2 of the 40 that is a lot of fun , have 2 of the 45 both of those had rough bores from the bluing tanks took some polishing to smooth those out , picked up a pair of 40 cal. pistols off gunbroker more for the extra mags that came with them at such low prices , have got parts with nothing but a call and offered to pay with hi-point refusing that offer , awesome service , they are reliable and they are different when you take the carbines apart but actually simple , glad to hear you are getting yours fixed I wish every firearm came with such service.

2A-Jay
12-11-2019, 03:34 AM
I have had a Hi Point . GEN 2 .40S&W for a few years. just keeps on going bang which each trigger pull. Have yet to adjust the sites as they were already dead on at 25 yards. They did replace one Mag for free a couple years ago though Free of charge.

dverna
12-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Impressive for such an inexpensive gun!!!

Wondering if I should add one to the herd? I have about 10k 9mm bullets to use up.

jonp
12-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Congrats on breaking one! Hi Point is second to none on customer service. I bought a used 9mm for $25 that was missing parts, looked up the diagram online and identified the parts, called them and was sent the parts free of charge even after telling them I had bought it like that. With service like that I'm a customer for life and own several of them both pistols and carbines.

skeettx
12-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Great thread
Fun to watch folks doing what they said they would do
Mike

MaryB
12-12-2019, 07:48 PM
My HiPoint C9 just went past 10k rounds with zero failures that were the guns fault. Couple bad primers, 2 squibs(all commercial loads). Cleaning? I swab the bore now and then, I have never taken it apart for a deep clean! My favorite range pistol because it soaks up recoil making my carpal tunnel happy. They are fun to decorate too(I owned a laser engraver...)

https://i.imgur.com/iBI4ObR.jpg

472x1B/A
12-12-2019, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=jonp;4782068]Congrats on breaking one! Hi Point is second to none on customer service.

Unless you live in Illinois, New Jersey, and I think New York. I had a .40 S&W come apart on me. When my FFL guy sent it in to be repaired they didn't even open the box. Returned it unopened with an E-Mail to him saying it was sold in Illinois and they would not accept it. So I sold it on Gun Broker as a damaged parts gun.

JBinMN
12-12-2019, 10:53 PM
I have an H-P .380 I got on a trade. I don't shoot it a whole lot, but both my oldest son & my missus think it is a grand shooter.

Glad to hear that the OP was not disappointed & after reading some of the post in this topic( majority it seems) that they just keep on working most of the time & when they don't the folks there at H-P take care of business with little to no hassles, it is much different than many of the topics that talk about H-P & most evryone is whinin a lot or complaining about them even when they don't own one, nor have ever even shot one....

BTW, Take down & re- assembly is kind of "rinky dink" compared to some other platforms, IMO, but if the thing keeps on rockin' & rollin' without issue & they back up their product if it does... Then, I am not gonna complain much.
;)

Tazlaw
12-12-2019, 11:06 PM
High Point. The greatest, ugliest, heavyest gun in the world. And with a .45 acp I can hit a matchstick at 15 yards! (Or at least I did once!).

rondog
12-13-2019, 07:36 AM
My next purchase will be a gun safe, but after that I'm seriously thinking about a Hi-Point 1095 carbine, in 10mm. Now that just HAS to be a hoot! I have the older style carbines in 9mm and .40S&W, and they're killers.

WRideout
12-13-2019, 08:49 AM
I bought a used Hi-point C9 from a friend who said it jammed. I tried it myself, and got repair parts from the factory, to no avail. The factory rep said to send it in. Turns out that the cost of sending it UPS is about equal to the cost of the gun, so I shipped it through the FFL of my local gun store. To my surprise, they sent me a brand new gun, and destroyed the old one. I like the new one so well that I sent my daughter's boyfriend money to buy himself a C9 for Xmas (he lives in another state).

It has been described as a "range gun" which is true, as I wouldn't want to carry one all day. But having said that, it is a fun 9mm, and recoil is very manageable.

Wayne

Texas by God
12-13-2019, 10:07 AM
I sure like mine. I added a bubbaslideassist to it. I just cant seem to find it. I would(will) buy another!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191213/b4ec31de9ed807fda4a6ef0e17427834.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

skeettx
12-13-2019, 12:23 PM
https://www.usacarry.com/racking-pistol-slide-devices-supplement-technique/

jonp
12-13-2019, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=jonp;4782068]Congrats on breaking one! Hi Point is second to none on customer service.

Unless you live in Illinois, New Jersey, and I think New York. I had a .40 S&W come apart on me. When my FFL guy sent it in to be repaired they didn't even open the box. Returned it unopened with an E-Mail to him saying it was sold in Illinois and they would not accept it. So I sold it on Gun Broker as a damaged parts gun.

Has to do with those states laws on frame and slide materials I think I read once. Something to do with zinc not steel. Not Beeman's fault they can't sell into your state and sorry to hear that

jonp
12-13-2019, 01:17 PM
My HiPoint C9 just went past 10k rounds with zero failures that were the guns fault. Couple bad primers, 2 squibs(all commercial loads). Cleaning? I swab the bore now and then, I have never taken it apart for a deep clean! My favorite range pistol because it soaks up recoil making my carpal tunnel happy. They are fun to decorate too(I owned a laser engraver...)

https://i.imgur.com/iBI4ObR.jpg

Strange a hundred dollar gun can get a grip so right.

reloader28
12-13-2019, 10:41 PM
Hi Points are cheap cheap crap. But, we have 3 9mm carbines a 45 carbine, 2 45 auto's and 2 380's. I've sent back a 380 and a 45 and both came back fixed and with an extra mag.
The same (my first) 45 I flat wore out and sent back AGAIN with a broken firing pin. They still fixed it Plus new springs Plus a new sight screw that I didnt know was bad and an extra mag.
People can say what they want about them, but they are a full warranty for life company.
They are cheap so if they fall in a mudhole from your truck(my main reason) you aint out much. BUT THEY WILL FIX IT.
And it will feed ANY piece of garbage load a rookie can load.

WRideout
12-14-2019, 10:20 AM
"And it will feed ANY piece of garbage load a rookie can load."

My C9 eats my handloads of 9mm all day. Caliber: 9mm Para Bullet: 356402 Powder: 4.0 gr Red Dot Primer: Win SP

Wayne

Texas by God
12-14-2019, 02:35 PM
I have heard that they are the #1 "boat gun" on the Gulf coast. Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cwtebay
12-14-2019, 02:55 PM
I have heard that they are the #1 "boat gun" on the Gulf coast. Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TapatalkHahaha!! Not quite the same kind of boat gun I'm thinking about.