PDA

View Full Version : When do you know it's time to start getting rid of stuff????

abunaitoo
12-09-2019, 03:48 AM
Getting old and slowing down.
Same with friends.
Either mover away, or just slowing down.
Used to be seven to ten of us at the range on Sundays.
Stay after closing to talk and stuff.
Then go out to dinner after.
Now there might be one or two others shooting on Sunday.
Not much interest in old firearms from other shooters
I'd say 90% black guns on the line.
Five or six regulars still stop by after the range closes.
Four or five go for dinner.
Things really slowing down.
So when would you know it's just time to start getting rid of stuff????

richhodg66
12-09-2019, 05:29 AM
I really need to start now, got too much stuff. Seems a common problem amongst Americans to have too much stuff.

dverna
12-09-2019, 05:47 AM
I am in my late sixties and started selling things about 10 years ago. I have less than half of what I used to own in guns and reloading stuff.

No regrets at all.

More downsizing expected. I still own guns I rarely if ever shoot so rather silly to hold on to them. Some you will keep for the memories or attachment you have even if they will not get used a lot.

BTW, by asking the question, you are already at that point. One way to start is to list all the guns you have not used in the last 3 years.

MR45
12-09-2019, 06:05 AM
It’s going to be a hell of a yard sale

bikerbeans
12-09-2019, 06:26 AM
I will have a table at a local gunshow next month.

BB

Peregrine
12-09-2019, 06:27 AM
And here I was thinking that whoever dies with the largest pile of guns wins...

26Charlie
12-09-2019, 06:38 AM
You can start giving guns to family now, but hold on to most of the collection until 2021 in case you have to start providing for local youngsters in political turmoil situations.

FISH4BUGS
12-09-2019, 07:45 AM
I know you guys are not this bad, but my sister and I are in the process of clearing out my 93 year old mother's house.
She is a hoarder.
Yesterday we filled one dumpster and easily could have done another.
Lighten your load now....imagine having your kids having to do this.
It isn't fun.....but think what it would be like to do the guns, reloading equipment and all the "stuff".
Thin the herd while you have the time and the energy to do so.

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2019, 07:54 AM
they probably have an app for that on there phone so they can tap keys instead of squeezing triggers.

rl69
12-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Funy you bring this up.. Yesterday I passed on my 410. It was my dads and both of his younger brothers started out with it. By the time it got to me it was well worn out. I mowed yards and saved my money tell I could get it fixed up now forty some odd years later it's worn plum out again. I also gave brother in law instructions of where I wanted the rest of my stuff to go. But for the most part I'll hold on to everything seeing how I still use them.

Pressman
12-09-2019, 08:12 AM
And here I was thinking that whoever dies with the largest pile of guns wins...

Whoever dies with the most reloading presses wins. And the collection continues to grow.
At 71, and having taken on three friends estates, I do think about it. Reading that 71 I just typed sounds really old, Ugh.
My daughter has been warned, it's going to land in her lap, so she needs to learn everything about the tools she can. After all she insisted that I move to Minnesota so she could keep an eye on me.
My insurance agent says I need a detailed inventory, should have started that 20 years ago.

Ken

frkelly74
12-09-2019, 08:35 AM
I have been going through some boxes af tools and Components. Everything I own seems to be heavy , by the way. I have boolits that I cast 10/12 years ago and have long since passed the molds on to other casters, Last week I heated up the pot that I have left and cast a big bunch of the old Lyman 45 round nose bullets and then I found a few hundred that I had PC'd harbor freight red when I first heard that you could do that. Now I have lots and need to go shoot them up. I really can't be lugging all this stuff around the country side too much longer. I have been using up part cans of different powders that I have been dragging around with me. A lot of it has been moved to Florida and then back to Michigan already. I gotta go shoot it up! If I can get away from the range without digging up 10 lbs of lead I will be doing good I think.

nueces5
12-09-2019, 08:45 AM
A friend of the range has had a good time buying weapons and things to recharge. He has many more weapons in his house than he can use in a year. His wife has been gone for years and none of his children likes to shoot. Now just use a 357 mag ruger. His heart is seriously ill, and he will not be 10 years older. I told him to start putting a price on his weapons, because otherwise, another was going to set the price. He got mad at me. Two weeks later, he started selling the weapons he didn't like first. Recently I turned 45, I think I prefer to use few weapons firing a lot, than having many weapons firing little. If a new weapon enters the closet, one must leave.

Shepherd2
12-09-2019, 09:25 AM
I started to downsize about 5 years ago. We auctioned the farm and most of the contents. I sold 16 firearms then and at the prices they were bringing I would have sold more if they had been readily available. I'm almost 80 now and while I do shoot a lot more now that I have time I realize I have too many guns and related gear. My son and I got a table at a small semi annual show a year ago and in the 2 shows I've sold a lot of guns, scopes, presses etc.. I still buy the occasional gun but like nueces5 if a new one comes in an old one must go.

Tripplebeards
12-09-2019, 09:28 AM
The only way I would get rid of stuff is to replace it with a new and bigger toy!

abunaitoo
12-09-2019, 09:53 AM
I have two tables at our only Gunshow.
Buyers here just don't want to pay what things are worth.
Selling/shipping firearms from here is a PITA.
Shipping anything that doesn't fit into a flat rate box is pricey.
Good friend just mover to Tennessee and took almost everything with him.
Ammo, primers, powder gifted and some sold.
I just hate selling stuff.
I always seem to need it again later.
No family into shooting/collecting.

lightman
12-09-2019, 10:11 AM
I started when I retired at 57. Knives, belt buckles, reloading equipment that I no longer needed, brass that I no longer had guns for, brass that was surplus to my needs and guns that I bought as investments or that I didn't shoot anymore. I also sold all on my electrical inventory and my tools that were unique to doing electrical work.

My remaining guns are in my will along with suggestions on what to do with my lead and remaining brass stash. I'm still thinning stuff out. Camping gear, beer mugs and glasses, ect.

I got a table at a local gunshow for everything except the electrical stuff, beer mugs and beer glasses. It was interesting and worked out well.

Froogal
12-09-2019, 10:17 AM
I am in my late 60s. I didn't get into this gun thing until some time before the last election, when it looked like Hillary might win. I applied for and received my concealed carry permit, bought a snub-nosed Smith, and then was introduced to cowboy action shooting. Needless to say, I am still building my collection. I will let our kids deal with it when the time comes, but I doubt if any of the collection will ever come up for sale.

bedbugbilly
12-09-2019, 10:45 AM
I have had to dispose of "things" for several estates that I was the Administrator for . . . and it is not an easy job. In my case, we don't have kids and I have been collecting "stuff" my entire life. Stop and think of what you have and who is going to have to dispose of it in one way or another and the burden it places on them, usually a loved one, especially if they know nothing about your possessions or the value of them. That will be a good motivator to get you started. I started a few years ago and am "pugging away" at it. I have given a couple of treasured guns to those that know will appreciate and treasure them as well and use them. I have downsized to just a couple of calibers which means thinning out dies, brass. etc. as well as those "extras" that you already have "one of" that are kept "just in case".

Sometimes it[s hard to do but in the end, you'll feel much better that you have made things easier for those that wold be faced with the task of clearing your things out if you "cross the river". Take the money you make from it and you and your loved one do some nice things together - even if it's just a movie or a nice dinner out once in a while. Those memories will help our loved one more than the memory of having to unload things that is a burden to do. They say "less is more" and I can tell you that I sleep much better at night knowing that I am not leaving a burden to others should I breath my last tomorrow. :-)

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2019, 12:18 PM
I started in this shooting hobby in the 1980s.
Sadly it had turned into a collecting hobby in the late 90s and 2000s.
In 2015, I finally pulled the trigger on having a live & local auction and sold the major portion of my firearms collection and everything else gun related, that I felt was in the "Too much" category. It was one of the best decisions I have made.

JBinMN
12-09-2019, 12:43 PM
I have been pondering this "thinning down" of possessions of all types for some time & am still struggling & having a hard time with doing it. Not so much from an attachment to things, but because I worked my *** off to get a lot of them & went without taking the trips I wanted to take, family or not along, and I also know that many would be hard to replace now that I am on a limited income.

The other side is I do not want to burden anyone when I am unable to enjoy/use what I do have due to my physical condition(s), or pass on to rest on the other side.

Only one of my sons is interested in many of the things I have from tools , hunting & fishing gear, camping stuff, firearms, reloading stuff, etc. & my grandboys are too young yet to have the much interest in such things yet, although they do lean towards interest in them. Part of my problem is that I don't know just what they would want to keep & so I don't want to part with anything until I do know...

So, I tend to keep things I likely should get rid of & many call me a packrat for what I have, but almost all has a purpose & is not BS fluff.

Funny story about this came up just recently during last deer hunting season... Oldest son was watching me get some things out of my stuffed with tools & gear garage. ( So, much you could not get a car in there & it is a 2-1/2 car garage.). He says to me, " Dad, you are the "keepingest" S.O.B. I have ever seen..

I laughed , & turned to him and said, "Well, sonny, after I am gone you will likely be the "throwing-awayist" S.O.B. that you ever saw, too.". We both laughed & that was it. Just thought it was funny since both of us saw the irony & humor in our words. Hope you did too....
;)

Anyway, like I said, it is somewhat of a struggle for me right now, but in the end, I will deal with it before it is too late to do so myself. Unless I am taken before hand, but I plan to get a good start on it this Winter by doing some tossing out & getting ready for a yard sale in the Spring.

G'Luck to all who are in a similar situation.
;)

Winger Ed.
12-09-2019, 12:59 PM
After clearing the estates of our parents, three of which were hoarders.
We've been drastically thinning the herd around here.
Something that helped a lot was moving out of the city to a smaller house after I retired.

My kids aren't shooters, so I've been thinning out the gun safe for the last few years.
I've gotten it down to the handful of weapons and ammunition I actually shoot a fair amount.

375supermag
12-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Hi...
Pretty large collection of firearms, reloading equipment and shooting supplies here.
My son is going to inherit all of it.
He owns a fair number if firearms of his own, hunts small game, deer and bear and does a lot of reloading of rifle and handgun ammunition.
I will quit collecting and shooting when I can no longer physically do it. Until then, I still have firearms I intend to acquire and use.

Texas by God
12-09-2019, 02:30 PM
My late MIL was the neatest hoarder I've seen. Everything was in its place, nothing strewn about. I spent 3 hrs at a burn barrel getting rid of receipts and various paperwork dating back to 1943. The estate sale took 2 days and we still have boxes of "memories" in my shop.
I'm trying my best to NOT do that to my kids. I have a "5 year" rule- if I haven't used it or thought about it in 5 years it needs to go to someone who will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

merlin101
12-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Funny you brought this up, I recently had quite a scare and spent some time in the hospital. It was a wake up call for sure! I realized that I am not superman and I should start taking care of things. I've got a few guns listed locally and a few on consignment and others I've made a list and added to my will. I still need to go thru so much other stuff from tools to artillery shells, it a daunting task but needs to be done.

Handloader109
12-09-2019, 03:24 PM
I've only been accumulating for the past 6 or 7 years. Had a shotgun and a couple of rifles. Now have added several more rifles and a good bunch of pistols. (no where near what I'd like to have, but money can be issue). I'm 62, and I'm not really concerned about the guns and reloading stuff. Daughter can sell or keep. She might keep some guns, Reloading stuff will be going down the road. I've much more Woodworking items that she'll have to get rid of.
Mom passed at 92 in spring. She had never gotten rid of a lot of stuff either, brother and I took what we wanted, and his daughter has the rest as she moved into house. Good for her....

Things that are important to us are not going to be important to anyone else.

Sell what you want to get rid of now.

RogerDat
12-09-2019, 04:03 PM
I can relate to "I worked my... tail... off to get some of this stuff" I tried to buy what would serve my needs or that I really wanted, by seldom rushing the purchase I was able to be pretty sure I really wanted it by the the time I spent my money but that money was earned, often saved over that same long duration.

I'm thinking about it and trying to make sure my stuff is organized, and in the process some pitching is taking place. Projects I won't do go so I can focus more on the projects that matter the most. But I am also thinking in terms of what "things" would I really like to have or enjoy for whatever time I have. At some point "someday" becomes a much shorter and smaller potential scheduling option.

So there are things I will get rid of, things I will plan for their eventual disposal, and a few items I will decide are worth my money to purchase now while I can enjoy them.

Failing to plan is planning to fail. Eventually we will do a bit less, or not realistically be able to complete an infinite list of projects. Or even be around to use anything. Knowing this one can decide how they wish to deal with that and act on those decisions.

Myself I hope to die with brass, primers, powder, and lead on hand. That simply means I never ran out in my lifetime. I also hope to be able to be using them pretty close to the end of my life. One can hope eh? But mostly I hope I have the wisdom to recognize when I should stop because I can't do it well or safely anymore.

One can make arrangements to have those components and items disposed of by friends or to friends, or to family. Same for tools I spent a danged lifetime learning to use the things I don't plan to get rid of them while I can still do so but will try and provide written instructions for their disposal complete with serial numbers or pictures.

Also need to have those sometimes awkward conversations like "do you want my pancake compressor and air nail guns when I die?" Because some of the kids might be able to use it, some not. Might as well ask now if they want it rather than leave them something they would feel bad about getting rid of. Say no to white elephant gifts! If I downsize home before then it just makes that process easier. What no one wants I can sell and blow the money on brown liquor and wild parties. Why should the people that attend my wake have all the fun?

jsizemore
12-09-2019, 04:10 PM
I know you guys are not this bad, but my sister and I are in the process of clearing out my 93 year old mother's house.
She is a hoarder.
It isn't fun.....but think what it would be like to do the guns, reloading equipment and all the "stuff".

You need to earn that inheritance. Do the same for your kids.

AR-Bossman
12-09-2019, 04:52 PM
There's alot of psychology going on with keeping stuff. If I get a deal on something, I have a hard time selling/giving that item away. You see this with motorheads and car geeks. They die with barns and basements full of high performance stuff that nobody could talk them out of. I've got motor parts that I won't sell because I might "use some day". And by the time I realize I'm done messing with engines, electric vehicles will have taken over and my parts will be worth NOTHING.

Also you run the risk of whoever deals with your stuff after death or you're put in a home, will throw away very valuable items.

I got depressed at an auction once, where it was obvious that a guy's life long tool collection was just callously piled up and sold off. Something about that hit me as sad and a bit wrong.

abunaitoo
12-09-2019, 06:00 PM
One of our members passed a little while ago.
Wife a short time after.
Years ago he moved off island, and took almost everything with him.
He would come back to visit once a year.
Son was not much into collecting, but did appreciate what his father had.
He was a big time collector of old military firearms.
Major Springfield collector.
He even had a Gatling Gun when he was here.
Son kept a few firearms and the rest were donated to a military museum someplace.

Maineboy
12-09-2019, 06:07 PM
For years I had an 03 Collectors License and bought many milsurp rifles that I cleaned up and got shooting. I bought brass, dies, and molds and spent much time casting, reloading, and at the range just shooting and taking part in our club military rifle shoots. Loads of fun but alas, I haven't done much of that for 15 years. About 5 years ago, I started getting rid of guns that I hadn't shot in a long time. Some I gave to my son, my only one who shoots, but discovered he was selling them to further his black rifle and Glock habit. I gave a Marlin 39 to my other son when he moved from the city a very rural place but he gave it back when he returned to the city. I brought a bunch to Cabela's in Scarborough, Maine and got way more than I paid for them. Hopefully they will go to someone who will appreciate them. I have a few milsurps left, a Remington 03A3, a sporterized Krag, a M96 Swede, a M39 Finn, and a K31 that I can't part with. I haven't thinned my hunting rifles and I still reload and shoot them, just not as much in recent years. My reloading stuff and bullet molds are still piled up, and I have a big supply of boolits for everything except for 30 caliber. I'll probably spend a day doing a bunch next spring. I have way more 45-70 projectiles than I will ever use and 6.5s as well. I have 8mm dies, boolits and 3-4 molds but I haven't had an 8mm rifle in about 5 years. I recently found a stash of wheel weights and linotype and I have no idea where it came. I have a bunch of group buy molds from the early days of Cast Boolits that I bought and used a bit and then mostly forgot about. Remember the 30 caliber HBC? I guess at some point I will get rid of some of that stuff.

skeettx
12-09-2019, 06:07 PM
I am 71 and starting to sell off some things, but mostly trying to shoot stuff up :)_

drac0nic
12-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Lots of good takes here, I end up tossing some junk every time I go to an estate sale that has a bunch of crap at it they're trying to offload. I've taken on some dead people's stuff and I tend to have these ideas:
-The lead is stashable and won't go anywhere. I have a few hundred lbs of "dead man" lead.
-Powder I try to load up and shoot even if it's a small quantity. I got a bunch that way the LGS had sitting for free. Been loading up "blasting ammo" ever since.
-Tools, dies brass etc. I try to reduce my foot print by being limited in my calibers. I may pick a new one up but I'm pretty darn not inclined to do such. At this point I may even shed down 2 calibers (30-06 in a Savage 10 series and my 450 Bushmaster) after a while.
-I certainly have more junk than I need. Moving helps as it makes you think "is it really worth it to haul this junk." In many cases no. If you're at a house for 10+ years oh boy get it figured out.
-If you're going to sell a project just sell it don't go "I'll do X, Y and Z then sell it." Set a deadline then do it. I have an Atlas Lathe downstairs I need to finish up getting running well, sell and get its much less worn replacement installed. My point proven folks.
-Limit projects. Trust me, I have a thousand of them and will likely have a thousand more if I'm not too careful.
-A thought I want to get more into is if it's not an expensive bit toss it then buy it if you need it later. Don't stash something thinking "Well I may need it some day for some job I don't have a clue about."

EDG
12-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Shooting and rifles have been a part of my life since about 1960 when I paid $12 for my first .22 rifle.
When my cold dead hands.....

Kraschenbirn
12-09-2019, 08:56 PM
Been thinking about 'thinning the herd' for a couple months. Haven't hunted for years, dropped out of competitive shooting while in my early 60s, and will turn 75 in a couple of weeks...but still make it to the range enought to go through about 5K rounds a year. In just one of my safes rest several grand worth of shotguns, mostly doubles and M12s, that I haven't fired...literally...in years along with a couple of IPSC 'raceguns' and the Jimmy Clark Ruger I shot for NRA bullseye. Basement reloading bench (I've a second set-up in my workshop) is just about as bad: a Dillon and a Rockchucker, bins of extra brass that I'll probably never get around to reloading...some of it for calibers I no longer own..., parts, misc. supplies and a few thousand rounds of ammunition.

Problem is: I'm really not sure where...or how...to start. The other day, I took out the OM Vaquero .44 I carried for many years as a 'trail gun', thinking that it might be good trading material, but just handling it brought back some fine memories of our younger days when my wife and I were back-country hikers and campers so I wiped it down and put it back it the rack. Seems like everything I pull out...other than some of the milsurps...reminds there's a reason I've kept it as long as I have.

Bill

BD
12-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Guns are the least of it. When I can't get a truck into the shop to work on it, it's time to get rid of some stuff. This summer I bought and erected a 12 x 20 fabric shelter to put tractor driven implements in. Boats? Trucks? Mowers? Stationary tools? Hopefully my daughter and her husband will see the utility in what I've collected. All of my guns and reloading gear would fit in a single 12' U-haul, and they could be loaded by hand.

john.k
12-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Not guns related,but anyone with a weekly rubbish service needs to fill the bin with junk every week ,insted of letting it be picked with a few scraps in it......I was shocked at what a small skip cost per load .....cant burn anything here,so it all goes to the tip ,one way or another.

lightman
12-09-2019, 09:54 PM
When I started thinning out stuff I gave my Sons a chance to look through it and keep what they wanted. I also suggested that they think about anything their Sons, my Grandsons, wanted.

MrWolf
12-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Actually been on a kinda buying binge last month or so. Son was out and told him what I am doing and to keep everything hidden once I am gone. Will only cost a few thousand to keep the place and timber should bring in some money. My biggest concern will be selling. Told him it may be very hard to get what I've accumulated in the future.

Geezer in NH
12-19-2019, 04:10 PM
She is a hoarder.

Or consider it payback to the kids. Make them work a bit for the inheritance. [smilie=l:

jimlj
12-20-2019, 09:59 PM
They say hind sight is 20/20.

When the city sewer backed up and sent over a foot of raw sewage in my basement, it seemed to be about the worse thing that had ever happened. I hired a disaster cleanup company to clean/sanitize the mess. That included two large dump trailers full of tools, books, cloths etc.. before the carpet and drywall. I figured at least $20,000 in stuff went to the dump. Now 8 years later, I miss very few of the things that were thrown away. The few things that I needed have been replaced and take up 1/100th the space. Looking back now, being forced to part with all the fluff I'd accumulated over 35 years of married life was actually liberating.

I have spent several months going through my parents and in-law's houses, shops and barns cleaning out their "treasures". I have no desire to do that to my kids. This thread has prompted me to start going through the safe and thinning the collection.

Back to the OP's question, if you are asking, its likely time to start.

Jedman
12-20-2019, 10:30 PM
I am in that boat now. I have 100+ guns and no one that would enjoy them. The way I am going is I am selling off the ones I don't shoot or really have a attachment to and if I pass before my wife she knows what to do.

Jedman

Four-Sixty
12-21-2019, 06:25 AM
I've been looking at some of the powder cans that have been around awhile and working on finishing them off. If someone had to make a decision about what to do with them 20 years from now they'd probably follow some person's advice to pour them onto the lawn. I figure I might as while use them up now before someone wastes them later. I've resolved I'm gonna use the oddball powders, powders I bought when I could find anything in the lean years, before I buy new stuff I regularly use.

6bg6ga
12-21-2019, 07:11 AM
I don't know what the heck is the matter with you guys. I'm taking my stuff with me when I kick the bucket.

Parson
12-21-2019, 11:20 AM
A number of years ago I woke up way too early and couldn’t get back to sleep. Laid there trying to figure out what I could do and decided to update my gun innovatory list. Fired up the computer. Found several that I could not remember what model, gauge, caliber etc. When the wife finally got up, told her what happened and reluctantly said, “when I have more than I can remember it’s time to get rid of some” took some doing at first, but now with less than half, no regrets

drac0nic
12-21-2019, 11:28 AM
I've been looking at some of the powder cans that have been around awhile and working on finishing them off. If someone had to make a decision about what to do with them 20 years from now they'd probably follow some person's advice to pour them onto the lawn. I figure I might as while use them up now before someone wastes them later. I've resolved I'm gonna use the oddball powders, powders I bought when I could find anything in the lean years, before I buy new stuff I regularly use.

I got a lot of powder from a guy who passed away that's like you're talking about. Working through it now, just making some "blasting ammo." Not everything has to be about exacting the most accuracy possible especially when doing rifle with 1/2lb of powder. Even 5.56 doesn't get a ton of rounds from that.

alamogunr
12-21-2019, 11:45 AM
I've been thinking about it for about a year now. I'm 77 and still looking for stuff. I'm going to give our 2 sons a printout of all my guns when they are here Christmas. Hoping that they can have an idea what they want when the time comes. I will probably give each of them a few before time. Just not sure which ones I can let go of yet.

I'm actually giving a grandson the S&W 9mm Shield. He is the only one that doesn't have a handgun. He had asked his parents for a handgun for his birthday next March when he will be 21 and can get his carry permit. Not sure why I got this S&W but really have no use for it since I also have a .45ACP Shield. I'm having some difficulty thinking of him as an adult. He is very mature for his age and has a good head on his shoulders. He will graduate from college next year. I guess that I will always picture them as the small children they once were.

fcvan
12-21-2019, 05:02 PM
The first pistol I bought was a Smith and Wesson 459. The next was a 357 revolver. A buddy of mine had purchased the same 459 as a duty weapon and had it stolen. I sold him mine and later regretted it. The 357 wasn’t anything special and I sold it to a friend. Having replaced it with a Smith and Wesson model 13 I didn’t think I needed it. Oh well. I haven’t sold a firearm since. Sure, I have purchased a few more along the way, some of which do not get shot as often as I would like. I can mostly fit them all in one small gun safe. The wife has her own gun safe which is pretty full seeing as she inherit her grandfathers weapons. I have bought her a few along the way but we’re not too badly off. The problem is we have two houses in two states. There are kids and grandkids in both states so we split our time. That means there is reloading equipment in two states. The most common calibers I have dies and bullet molds at both places. Fortunately, my next-door neighbor got into reloading and so that equipment is actually in his garage. So, some of the calibers that I shoot he also shoots so I didn’t have to buy everything twice.

Mom and dad turned 80 this year. They lived on a farm outside of town for almost 4 decades. Some years back they decided to move into town. They did a lot of thinning down in the process. They still on the farm and they still have some things there but most of the things that they use regularly they kept. Everything else was donated sold passed on. Dad never had a huge collection of firearms, everything fits neatly in his safe. He has firearms from when he shot trap and skeet as a competitor, hunting rifles, some things that he bought just because he liked them such as a Colt 45 from 1899, and a lever gun from 1898. My brothers and I know the day will come and we barely managed to have that difficult decision of ‘what to do if.’ Mom has antique sewing machines, dad has tools and firearms. The guns will go together to one of us held in trust for any to use and I don’t think there will be any issues. Moms thing will likely go to the granddaughters or great granddaughters who like mom, love to sew. The properties will be a pain because none of us want to see the kind of infighting we’ve seen in other families. We all agreed that is theirs for them to do as they choose and none of expect anything. So to speak, we’ve seen vultures waiting for their inheritance and boldly talking about it in front of their parents. Sad

Dad gave a young man from their church moms 20 gauge and a reloading press as the young man was getting into trap shooting. The gun was showroom and unfired in 40 years. Before he did, he asked each of us boys if we minded. We each told him ‘its yours and moms, you do what you want it’s ok.’ Sure, if any of my sons in law or grandkids want to get into shooting or hunting, I will give them something of mine or gift them a brand new firearm. Dad bought shotguns for his grandsons, this grandpa will too. But I am more inclined to thin the herd and give them one of mine. Same with the reloading gear. Dad sent us home with his as he only reloads when he visits. He still enjoys that but more so with his boys like when he first taught us.

The bulk of what I have stacked up is loaded ammo, powder, primers, and cast boolits. Thin that herd? Not likely :)

Kev18
12-22-2019, 05:44 AM
Its sad for me to read all of these stories. None of you want to get rid of anything. But life gets in the way. I wish one day I'd have someone that would like shooting and reloading as much as me. I'm only 22, but i know my time will come one day. Hopefully not yet. My parents always tell me that you never know what life holds. 2019 has been rough for us. I always say il never sell anything. They respond that life is unpredictable. Maybe one day il need to pay bills instead of going out and shooting. I hope not :(