PDA

View Full Version : LLA question

oneokie
11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Decided to try LLA on some boolits to try as cast. Read about thinning the LLA with mineral spirits. I thinned 50/50 by volume.

To my old eyes, it does not appear to leave much of a coating on the boolits. Am planning on applying a second coat before loading.

Am I overly concerned?

Tom W.
11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
No. You don't need a thick coating. It isn't going to hurt to put a second coat on, but as long as the bearing surfaces and bands are coated you'll be good to go.

mooman76
11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't thin it that much. Maybe 10 or 20 to 1. Just enought so it works freely.

Treeman
11-11-2008, 12:29 AM
I usually just warm it and use it straight...but it doesn't take much.

shotman
11-11-2008, 12:51 AM
try this put bottle in hot water[hot tap is ok] let it get very warm. I use a plastic peanut butter jar with about 50 boolits at a time about 1 teaspoon of lube and boolits at room temp shake and dump on wax paper. [I use some powder moly in mine] When you dump out stand them up on base over night. They will "drain" and nose will not have much lube bands will catch most and base will be clean. I use a set of big twezzers to set them up. rick

Linstrum
11-11-2008, 02:11 AM
I've tried several lubes including ones I got the recipes for making here on this board over the years. Most work very well.

Lee Liquid Alox works fine and is what I use almost exclusively now because it is real easy to use and doesn't rub off quickly from handling.

I apply LLA with a fast, very simple, easy method that doesn't make a mess. I take a sandwich-size Ziploc plastic bag and put in a handful of boolits, squirt in some LLA, zip it up, and roll them around in my hands so they all get covered. Takes about a minute. I dump them out on a paper plate and let them dry outside in the sun or put them on the dashboard of my old car in the sun on a cold day. I freshen the alox on the inside of the bag with more alox and a few drops of enamel-type paint thinner, plus I use the same bag over again until it gets a tear in it. I subscribe to the K-I-S-S principle, I don't bother to stand the boolits on end on the paper plate when drying, I just let them lay there on their sides with some touching each other and some not, enough stays on the boolit to do the job.

The only boolits I don't use LLA on are for my .50 BMG, I use Johnson's paste wax for them, just before chambering a cartridge I dip the boolit in the can of floor wax. The only reason why I use JPW is the .50 BMG would run me out of LLA very quickly.

rl471