PDA

View Full Version : Case sizing

NSP64
11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Have you tried to get better accuracy from your straight walled pistol cases by partial resizing? I have tried but havent noticed any difference.

Johnw...ski
11-09-2008, 08:11 PM
It can't hurt, it helps with straight rifle cartridges.

John

44man
11-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I do it all the time but after a few shots, I need to full length again because they WILL get hard to chamber. I shoot hunting loads, if you shoot light loads it might be a long time before you need to fully size.

NSP64
11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
what about getting a FL sizer and polishing it up to close to chamber size? I m loading for a TC Encore.

44man
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
That would work, just stay away from the neck area. By being careful and getting just the right sizing, you would never have to change a thing. Get it so you can still chamber rounds easy.
I use the Hornady dies but carbide dies allow just neck sizing too. The problem is the web of the case gradually expands and the hotter the loads, the quicker it happens.

Shiloh
11-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I do it all the time but after a few shots, I need to full length again because they WILL get hard to chamber. I shoot hunting loads, if you shoot light loads it might be a long time before you need to fully size.

I shoot target loads to midrange loads in both .38 and .357. When doing accuracy experiments years ago, partial sizing was one of the things I tried. They didn't help accuracy in any appreciable way, but as 44man stated, it did make them hard to chamber. A proper fitting boolit and cylinder chamber work on revolvers if needed will do much more in the accuracy department than sizing or trimming gimmicks.

If one has a tight tolerance firearm with everything machined to where it is supposed to be, then sizing and trimming may enhance what potential is already there. For my particular stock weapons already capable of fine accuracy, there was no difference.

See the below thread on a related accuracy subject.

Shiloh

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=38930