PDA

View Full Version : North American Hunting Club scam

44man
11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
A while back I got an offer to join for a reasonable price. The brochure said if I sign for a year I would get a free white tail book and a set of hunting knives. I sent a check in with the subscription.
Then I got a notice to pay for the subscription. I E mailed them and told them they already have the check. Then I received the book but it said I had to pay $7 for it before I got the knives. It looks like a nice book so I payed the $7.
Today I got a notice that to get the knives I have to extend my subscription for 2 or 3 years.
Well guys, that did it for me. When the magazine stops coming next year, they will never get another dime from me. I will not put up with this bait and switch practice.

Heavy lead
11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Isn't this the group that used to (maybe still do) promise you can field test equipement and make it sound like you'll be getting some high dollar (like rifles, scopes, etc.) equipement to test? I think I bought into this one in the 90's if I remember and let mine go after a year too. There's a scam on every corner.

badgeredd
11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
They started sending me silver coins (well medallions would be a better description) without my approval. I sent them back and wrote "delivery refused "on the package. It took nearly three months to get them straightened out (I thought). Nearly 6 months later I get a notice from them that I am being turned over to a collection agency. I called my attorney and he sent them a short letter in which he inquired as to whom he would need to contact about the suit we'd be filing. Funny, they didn't bother me any more. Not the kind of organization I want to be part of.

Edd

44man
11-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes it is. Back then they sent me some cheap bore cleaner to test. It was junk and I told them so. It was never put in a magazine.
I think they make up the reports on the high dollar stuff. Nobody gets any of it.

Tom W.
11-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I've been a "member" for quite a few years now, and have met some fine people through the Club. I've gotten my share of field test items, some good, some junk, but nothing very expensive. I got the knives, too, and a soft sided vinyl cooler that lasted quite a while.

I also got some unsolicited stuff, and then came the silver coin. They did send a packet to send it back in, and I e-mailed them and reminded them that anything sent that I did not specifically order was by law considered a gift, and if they did not cease, forthcoming requests for payment would be answered by "What Item are you referring to? I never received anything." Now all I get is the magazine and an occasional field test item...

JIMinPHX
11-09-2008, 02:15 AM
They informed me that I was one of their members several years ago without me ever asking to be one. They sent me a bunch of trinkets & junk that I didn't want. I had to send them 3 or 4 snippy letters before they left me alone.

shotman
11-09-2008, 04:09 AM
I got the book and sent them a note thanking them for the gift I didnt get the knife. About a month ago they sent me a letter asking if i would send 12.50 to cover postage for a testing of a " High quality field item" dont know what it was so they didnt get the 12.50 rick

DLCTEX
11-09-2008, 04:40 AM
I was a member for 3 years and never recieved anything but a generally uninteresting magazine. This was in the 90's.

unclebill
11-09-2008, 10:05 AM
i kept getting trinkets in the mail.
i cant remember how i worded it
but it was something like.
you guys are nuts if you think i am giving you money for things i dont want and didnt order.

Johnch
11-09-2008, 10:22 AM
A few years back
I got a Austen & Halleck ( sp ) inline 12 gau muzzel loader to test
With a hard case , everything needed to load and shoot it expect powder and 209 shotgun primers
I tested it on a turkey and wrote a glowing report , expect I noted it needed to be drilled & taped for a scope mount
So if you wanted to a red dot or a scope could be easly added

But my report was not used , probely because of the "Need" coments
Got a letter from Austen & Halleck ( sp ) that they were going to start putting holes for scope bases on the shotguns

Next thing I heard they closed their doors

I have also gotten a few small cheap things to test

John

HABCAN
11-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I too got sucked in by them in the '90's, only to find out, after paying the money fee, that 'test items/premiums will not be sent outside CONUS'. BIG scam!

EMC45
11-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Guilty as well. I got their magazine for a year and they tried to entice me with the field trials offer. I never did get involved, but they sent me some coins and then asked for me to pay for them. Did not pay.

Freightman
11-09-2008, 03:47 PM
I was a member for 3 years and never recieved anything but a generally uninteresting magazine. This was in the 90's.
ditto!

mooman76
11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I feel left out. They sent me nothing!

nekshot
11-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I got sucked into their scam also. This came around the time I was trully getting tired of all the self proclaimed professional knowitalls. I vividly remember a blow hard from western pa running around talking of gruntung and rattling deer with some nice buck mounts. Very impressive. That same year i befriended a man who also was a hunter and he invited me over to his house. He showed me several bushel baskets of the nicest racks I ever saw from pa. He told me how as a bar tender he listened to guys talk of deer they saw. In the mornings he would check out thier story and being a good hunter he scored many nice racks. No fanfare no glowing reports only a little vanilla on his boots and some loose tongues blabbing a the evening bar. He was the real expert to me.

Ken O
11-09-2008, 11:03 PM
ditto!

ditto ditto

Dutch4122
11-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Glad to see that others have had the same experience with NAHC as I have. It got to a point quickly where I got tired of the stuff they kept sending. I never asked anybody to send me video tapes, collector coins, and most of the books. Got to be a real PITA sending back all of the stuff they sent that I didn't want. Postman advised me to write "refused" on every package they sent and put it back in the mailbox; and NAHC would have to pay the return postage. Took 'em about 3 months, but they got the hint and stopped sending me all their crap.

Kind of makes me wonder why they never sent me anything to "evaluate." ;)

44man
11-10-2008, 09:16 AM
The wife looked up the check and I found she had signed me up for the required 3 years to get the book and knives.
I E mailed them and told them to cancel my subscription and return my money.

AZ-Stew
11-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Postal law goes a bit farther than merely allowing you to keep unsolicited merchandise. If the sender demands that you return what they sent to without your permission, send them a letter detailing the monthly storage charges for each item that are due you, and include the shipping charges for returning the stuff you didn't ask for. Be sure to mention the postal regulations and be sure the storage and shipping charges exceed the value of the merchandise. I got rid of hasseling from a record club that way 30-some-odd years ago.

Regards,

Stew

dakotashooter2
11-16-2008, 01:49 AM

The only thing I ever got was bi-monthly requests for donations.

Jim
11-16-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but I've had 2 situations that were "classrooms" for me. If you receive an unsolicited package or post and it DOES NOT REQUIRE A SIGNATURE, they have no claim against you as they have no proof that you actually received it.
People can and do steal packages from doorsteps AND unlocked mailboxes in communites and apartment complexes. Just because the UPS man checked his magic box "delivered" doesn't proove you got it nor does it proove they brought it. It matters not what the argument or threat is, WITHOUT A SIGNATURE, you are responsible for nothing.

mister gizmo
11-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Regardless of listmembers' experiences with this outfit, I was given by a fellow clubmember 15 of their hardcover books to sell, which are listed somewhere on page four of the classifieds. If anyone is interested I would be willing to make a deal for some or all of the books.

gizmo

44man
11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
More from them. They E mailed me that they canceled my subscription. They said I could keep the knives and the book they sent. I explained again that I never received anything except one book that I paid them $7 for.
Then instead of a refund, I got a return label for a book I never received.
It looks like I am out $36 at this point and have a book I paid for that they can also have back after a refund of $7.
I mailed them back but don't expect anything.

45nut
11-21-2008, 05:22 PM
try contacting this guy:

Name: Tim Carroll
Address: 12301 Whitewater Drive, Minnetonka, MN 55343
Telephone Number: (952) 936-9333
Email Address: namghq@namginc.com.

44man
11-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I clicked the link and nothing happens, is it spelled right?

44man
11-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I e mailed and got a response from NAHC that the action failed. I filed a report with the BBB in MN.

45nut
11-21-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.northamericanmediagroup.com/

There is the portal to the main group behind the nahc,,

http://www.northamericanmediagroup.com/contact_us.htm

Call and ask to speak to the President of the Company. Be firm.