PDA

View Full Version : Shipping powder by a individual question

jh45gun
12-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Talked to a guy on a forum who has some powder that is older and some not opened or used he is going to buy new powder to start reloading again and is going to get rid of his old powder. Is there any carrier UPS ect that will accept this package and deliver it from a individual and not a company? I can probably get it from him for the price of shipping if I can find some one that will deliver it.

grumble
12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
JH45, the best way would be via UPS. The package has to be marked with the hazmat sticker (ORM-D, I think). Inside, the powder needs to be in an approved container (origional packaging should be ok) and double boxed. You can check the regs on the UPS site. 'Course, the $15 hazmat fee will apply in addition to postage.

jh45gun
12-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Just talked to UPS you have to be DOT Trained and have a Hazmat contract with the shipper UPS before they will ship it. Too much red tape for a individual to ship it to a other.

StarMetal
12-13-2005, 04:07 PM
...and we can thank the Clinton administration for this. Of course they have a whole list of things that can't be ship non gun related to hide the gun related stuff. They tied it up in one nice package under the DOT Dept authority.

Joe

grumble
12-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Just talked to UPS you have to be DOT Trained and have a Hazmat contract with the shipper UPS before they will ship it. Too much red tape for a individual to ship it to a other.

I guess that's why we don't share sample powders like we share our boolits?

versifier
12-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Who says you have to tell them what's in the package? If it was bp or primers, or some nasty solvent I could see being cautious, but they went way overboard when they came out with these foolish regulations in regard to smokeless powder. Civil disobedience seems to be called for here: don't swear about it, just send it. Triple bag it and throw a few mothballs inside the box to deter the sniffers. As long as you don't use USPS, I don't think they'd have much of any recourse even if they found out about it.

Scrounger
12-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Talked to a guy on a forum who has some powder that is older and some not opened or used he is going to buy new powder to start reloading again and is going to get rid of his old powder. Is there any carrier UPS ect that will accept this package and deliver it from a individual and not a company? I can probably get it from him for the price of shipping if I can find some one that will deliver it.

Label it as Lawn Fertilizer...

9.3X62AL
12-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Label it as Lawn Fertilizer...

Yeah.......like ammonium nitrate. That'll be low profile. :-)

Jumptrap
12-13-2005, 05:32 PM
It's all ******** and the wool has been pulled over folk's eyes by UPS and they use it to milk a ludicrous extra fee out of us. I know a man who even shipped smokeless via the post office.

If I wanted to ship poweder to anybody, I'd do as already suggested. Package it well and don't tell the nosey ******** what's in it. Smokeless is rated as a flammable..not an explosive as BP is. If the stuff was to ever catch fire, everything it was packed in will be burned up anyway. The business folks don't give a tinkers damn...shipment is passed on to the consumer and that is why they never raised hell when these regs went into effect...doesn't affect their bottom line.

Gun parts look a lot like machine parts...use your head for something besides a hat rack! People in this country live like the Gestapo or KGB is watching every step we make and live just as chicken**** lives because of it. Fear is a terrible thing.

StarMetal
12-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Jump

Kinda agree with ya, but. I know they have devices in this country as well as others for detecting bombs, the ingredients in bomb, not just the bomb itself. I know dogs can be trained to smell alot of chemicals. I wonder, just wonder if the Post Office and other parcel shippers have this kind of equipment.

Maybe Deputy Al or Trp Bret might have some insight on this.

Shipping a FFL gun is no biggie. What is it, federal offense , ten yrs in federal prison, and unlimity soul brother girlfriends? har har har

Hey speaking of soul brothers I was shocked and impressed with Arnold the Terminator's decision to exsecute that black fellow out there in CA.

Joe

PatMarlin
12-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Scumbag needed to be sent up to the father for a ruling.

Arnold did the right thing, but then hires the biggest liberal in the business as his new staff manager and consultant, of which is the left thing.. :roll:

kenjuudo
12-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Anyone know the UPS regs on shipping loaded ammo? I spent some time on their sight trying to pin it down with no luck.

mike in co
12-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Anyone know the UPS regs on shipping loaded ammo? I spent some time on their sight trying to pin it down with no luck.
dont ask dont tell
i ship lots of machined parts, some times even expensive machined parts with extra ins,
me thinks moth balls is the answer,

personal belongings and throw in a sweater......

David R
12-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I mailed some cast boolits to another member in this forum. The guy at the post office looked at the red hornady box and said "Are those bullets?" I said NO. Just lead samples for testing. Off they went.

We used to ship home made beer the same way. "Contents: Food samples for testing".

David

Johnch
12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
I used to ship live ammo thru the US post office till my freindly postman told me they were going to start x raying all packages .

So NEVER ship film thru them unless in lead lined package .

I also know they use bomb sniffing equipment .
Would the gun powder set it off , my guess it would since they make pipe bombs out of Red Dot in my local area to use on wives

I was told because I load ammo for the postman and he wants me to keep doing it .
Being behind bars for shipping "Bomb" making supplys is a big no no

Johnch

jh45gun
12-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Yea in this day and age if you cannot do it legally your screwed they will nail you for sure and I doubt any excuse would work even though smokeless would make a poor bomb compared to other things. Not worth taking a chance for.

Buckshot
12-14-2005, 05:04 AM
..............I'd ordered some stuff from The Old Western Scrounger sometime back and included was 1000 of those #56 Berdan primers. They were shipped with no haz mat fee, nor was the box marked for haz mat in any way. I shipped my brother in Arizona 2 lbs of surp WC872 with no haz mat fee via Oops.

The counter lady asked me if it was packed well for the contents and I said yes. She asked what was in it, but was typing in her label making machine and I said plastic pellets. She never batted an eye. Acted as if she didn't even hear me and made no remark, but just kept on typing, pulled the lable and stuck it on the box.

I'm sure that she or anyone else would have keyed in on any words like dynamite, blasting caps, gunpowder, guided missle components, detonators, acid or such like. I'm not telling you to do it, just that I'm sure it's done all the time.

.............Buckshot

versifier
12-14-2005, 06:04 PM
UPS and FedEx don't use sniffers, but that doesn't mean that the packages at airports won't get a random sniff once in a while. It's just that the focus is more on finding things that might get put onto commercial passenger flights. Still, one whiff of mothballs and the sniffer won't be very accurate (or motivated, more importantly) for the rest of the day. Powder containers are shaped much like the ones used for spices in restaurant quantities, if x-rayed they would be indistinguishable from them and if labeled as such would arouse no suspicion.

jh45gun
12-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Well its a moot point for me now anyway as the guy will not ship it since he found out that UPS ect will not allow it. I cannot blame him for not wanting to take a chance either.

Flash
01-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I'd hate to be the Guinea Pig that the UPS came down on to make an example. [smilie=l:

PatMarlin
01-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Can't this FREAKIN" thread DIE DIE DIE!!!..... :Fire: :coffeecom :Fire: :coffeecom [smilie=b: [smilie=b: [smilie=b: