PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Dacron

dale2242
11-24-2019, 09:15 AM
I was cutting some Dacron sheets for filler for some of my cast loads.
Cutting it with scissors was a somewhat slow process.
Got out my paper cutter and cut the sheets into 1" strips.
The paper cutter cuts a nice straight and clean edge.
I could then cut them into whatever weight I wanted with the scissors.
Why didn1t I think of this years ago?...dale

Kraschenbirn
11-24-2019, 12:33 PM
A few years back, I snagged a quilter's rotary fabric cutter from the wife's sewing room. Using a 36" stainless straight-edge as a guide, it works great for cutting dacron strips...also serves quite nicely for turning old t-shirts into cleaning patches. (Yeah, I had to replace it with a better one when she noticed it on my work bench but she did give me one of her old cutting mats and a package of replacement blades that didn't fit the new one.)

Bill

parson48
11-24-2019, 01:43 PM
A few years back, I snagged a quilter's rotary fabric cutter from the wife's sewing room. Using a 36" stainless straight-edge as a guide, it works great for cutting dacron strips...also serves quite nicely for turning old t-shirts into cleaning patches. (Yeah, I had to replace it with a better one when she noticed it on my work bench but she did give me one of her old cutting mats and a package of replacement blades that didn't fit the new one.)

Bill

My wife is a quilter and has used a rotary cutter for years. She can knock out a couple hundred cleaning patches for me in no time at all. Those are some dandy tools.

15meter
11-24-2019, 05:08 PM

Bill

Rotary cutters are the only way to go WITH the designed for rotary cutter mat. I got the old ones from the wife when she went bigger/newer.

OLFA is the brand that I inherited. Quality stuff. And if you tell your buddies that it is reloading equipment, you won't look like THAT much of a sissy having quilting tools on your bench.

NSB
11-24-2019, 08:42 PM
You don't need sheets at all. Just buy a bag of dacron pillow filler and us it. Just "pluck" the amount you need (about .5g) and use it. It fills the space and then burns up upon ignition. I actually don't know anyone using sheets anymore.

Bookworm
11-24-2019, 09:28 PM
I didn't even buy a bag of filler.

I merely plucked a stuffed travel pillow out of the "give it away" box before it left the house. I cut a seam out if the pillow and pluck what I want.

I've loaded hundreds of rounds using that pillow fill, and haven't put a dent in the supply. I'm fairly certain that little pillow will supply all the polyester fill I'll ever need.

JBinMN
11-24-2019, 10:23 PM
I do not use the "quilted" stuff you folks mention. I use the "Fluffy" bulk stuff. Prolly similar to what Bookworm just mentioned in the post before this one...

I just pull the fibers out & then work with what I pull out, adding more or taking some out as I go.

I reckon it is because I did not have the "quilted" stuff you folks have & do not have the "ease" in which to cut it into segments that re weighed as they are reduced in size.

Don't know what is better, but considering how light the stuff is, I will likely not need to buy more than the Large Pillow size amount I bought for about 2-3 dollars about 2 years ago...
;)

We all just have to work with what we have... Unless ya have more $$ than I do & can just toss the stuff ya have & buy new stuff.

It is nice to see what others can do with what they get...

Maybe someday I will have some "quilted" stuff & be able to use the paper cutter I have in the garage to cut the stuff when I do. You Lucky dogs...
LOL

;)

dale2242
11-25-2019, 09:01 AM
I took a box of used household items to the Senor center and traded it for a sheet of Dacron.
It`s what they had in the way of Dacron.
I have a bag of fluffy stuff but will stick with the sheets until it is gone as it is easier for me to work with.

Larry Gibson
11-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Over years of using Dacron as a filler I've found using the thicker sheets with chunks cut to size to be the easiest for me. Frankly I wouldn't go back to using bulk unless I absolutely had to. Got to try my paper cutter.........