PDA

View Full Version : Hard crud in bottom of me Lee pot

Fly
11-21-2019, 05:25 PM
I melted the lead in my Lee pot & poured it out to clean it. There is some crud in the bottom of the pot that is
very hard & shiny. I can,t seem to remove it. Any Ideas?

Fly:roll:

Mike W1
11-21-2019, 10:46 PM
A picture would be helpful here I think. Been too long since I've seen the bottom of my pots to remember what's what down there. And it's likely from brand to brand they might look differently.

Winger Ed.
11-21-2019, 10:53 PM
If its the same sort of crud I get, you can dig it out with a big screw driver.

poppy42
11-21-2019, 10:56 PM
Vinegar and peroxide 50-50 solution .! Let it sit for about 20 minutes and it’ll loosen everything up . Just remember to flush it out with freshwater after you get it clean

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-21-2019, 11:01 PM
Do you use Marvelux ?

Fly
11-21-2019, 11:34 PM
(Do you use Marvelux ? ) No I don't even know what that is. First thing I tried was a Screw drive & got some out. But some of I can't budge.
I will try the Vinegar and peroxide 50-50 solution. I went a head & ordered a new pot, but I would like to get this one up & going. I will let
you guys know how thing go on this.
Fly

toallmy
11-22-2019, 04:42 AM
Lee sells some replacement parts ....

Phlier
11-22-2019, 06:41 AM
If it's not affecting your boolit alloy, or making your pot drip (I'm assuming it's a bottom pour Lee), then just don't worry about the crud on the bottom. Chances are that if it ever breaks free, it'll float to the top of your lead melt... that's if it ever does break free, which it probably won't.

The best way to keep the bottom of your lead pot clean is to just never see the bottom of your lead pot. ;) When you finish a casting session, leave at least a half inch of alloy in the bottom. Keeps the bottom clean, and makes your next session melt faster. I haven't seen the bottom of my pot since it was new.

BNE
11-22-2019, 07:03 AM
If it's not affecting your boolit alloy, or making your pot drip (I'm assuming it's a bottom pour Lee), then just don't worry about the crud on the bottom. Chances are that if it ever breaks free, it'll float to the top of your lead melt... that's if it ever does break free, which it probably won't.

The best way to keep the bottom of your lead pot clean is to just never see the bottom of your lead pot. ;) When you finish a casting session, leave at least a half inch of alloy in the bottom. Keeps the bottom clean, and makes your next session melt faster. I haven't seen the bottom of my pot since it was new.

Agree with the difference for me is I try not to let my pot go below 75% full. Just me.

Valornor
11-22-2019, 09:12 AM
I’d warm up the pot, I suspect there’s lead mixed with dross that is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Warm it up and use a old spoon to break it loose then scoop it out.

A picture would be helpful, I have cleaned the pot a few times, never had anything of note.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

JimB..
11-22-2019, 09:41 AM
If it won’t break loose with heat try sticking it in the freezer for a few days, or maybe drop a piece of dry ice on top of it.

lightman
11-22-2019, 10:10 AM
I've worn a dust mask and used a wire cup brush on a drill to clean my pot a few times. This stuff really does not hurt anything except that I know its there!

Froogal
11-22-2019, 10:33 AM
I use a long handled spoon and scrape down the sides of the pot, and also the bottom, while the lead is molten. The crud floats to the top and I skim it off. Doing this pretty much eliminates the dripping from the spout.

onelight
11-22-2019, 01:46 PM
I use a long handled spoon and scrape down the sides of the pot, and also the bottom, while the lead is molten. The crud floats to the top and I skim it off. Doing this pretty much eliminates the dripping from the spout.
That is how I do it
I do have a special tool I picked up about 40 years ago that I have considered selling on eBay .
Antique custom bullet casting tool.

gwpercle
11-22-2019, 02:45 PM
(Do you use Marvelux ? ) No I don't even know what that is. First thing I tried was a Screw drive & got some out. But some of I can't budge.
I will try the Vinegar and peroxide 50-50 solution. I went a head & ordered a new pot, but I would like to get this one up & going. I will let
you guys know how thing go on this.
Fly

Marvelux is a commerical powdered flux that a lot of guys hate. They blame everything on it's use .
You answered correctly... I know nothing of it .
Admitting you use it gets you in trouble with the sawdust fluxing bunch .
Do I use it ?
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me .
I also don't cast with a bottom pour pot... Call me a Rebel !
Gary

RogerDat
11-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Marvelux is a commerical powdered flux that a lot of guys hate. They blame everything on it's use .
You answered correctly... I know nothing of it .
Admitting you use it gets you in trouble with the sawdust fluxing bunch .
Do I use it ?
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me .
I also don't cast with a bottom pour pot... Call me a Rebel !
GaryDo you *GASP* cast with a ladle? :-) Nice to know I ain't the only one marching to my own drummer out there.

Funny how we are "too slow" but there are not whole threads about how to keep our ladles from dripping. Or fix a ladle that drips, or which brand of ladle is a "drip-o-matic".

Without a picture I suspect lead or alloy in the bottom of the cooling pot has simply soldered itself to the pot bottom and being at the bottom of a steep sided "well" one can't get a scraper type implement under the edges to scrape it off. The suggestion to fire up the pot and scrape with a spoon is probably a good one.

Or like the man said don't let the pot get empty and you will never know it is there. Like turning up the radio when the car is making funny noises. Solution just works.

Froogal
11-22-2019, 03:38 PM
That is how I do it
I do have a special tool I picked up about 40 years ago that I have considered selling on eBay .
Antique custom bullet casting tool.

I've been thinking of hammering or grinding on that spoon to reshape it a bit.

RogerDat
11-22-2019, 03:48 PM
I've been thinking of hammering or grinding on that spoon to reshape it a bit. I have two spoons that came with a fishing weight casters estate supply of lead. One with edges rolled up just a bit and the tip ground a little bit flatter. The other rolled up at the point to provide a narrow trough shaped tip.

I sort of like the idea that I'm still using the shapes he came up with and they work very well.

I ground the "point" flat on a spoon with holes in it so it can scrape the bottom of the smelting pot better and get into the corner around the edge. Salvation Army tool store model Mk 2 new and improved.

454PB
11-22-2019, 04:11 PM
I always empty my Lee pots after casting. I use a variety of alloy mixes, and I want the pot empty when I start a casting session.

When I'm all done, I drain out what's left, pick up the empty pot, turn it over, and bang it on my casting mat. That knocks out the crud in the bottom.

I know.....I know....that's not good for the pot.....but I've been doing that for 45 years and I haven't ruined one yet. I have three Lee bottom draw pots, the oldest is 45 years old and still works like new.

I also use Marvelux, and occasionally cast with a ladle.

Maven
11-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Do you *GASP* cast with a ladle? Nice to know I ain't the only one marching to my own drummer out there. ...Roger Dat

I do that as well, Roger AND I use Marvelux (with no problems whatsoever). I guess I'm on the fast track to perdition! (LOL)

Fly
11-22-2019, 07:39 PM
OK some great ideas from you guys. But the nozzle is clogged also. When I,m casting I have been using a paper clip to
unclog the nozzle from time to time. I tried using a propane torch to heat it up & the paper clip. No go it maybe clogged
in the top where the hole intersects at a angle with the bottom hole. The paper clip is .039 dia. I ran a .040 number drill
up from the bottom & I think it is ok now with that hole. I don,t know if I have room in the pot to get in the top hole at
the angle have not tried that yet.If any of you have a trick to getting to it I would love to hear your advice. I have a new
pot coming tomorrow. I still would like to get this working. If I can,t get the spout unplugged I will just use it as is & use
a dipper.

Fly

onelight
11-22-2019, 08:21 PM
I think you are doing it the same way I have when mine clogged , if you have not remove the rod that closes the hole it might help .I have also carefully used a propane torch on the inside while poking through from the bottom
I have found when I finish casting to empty the pot into my ingot mold by poring over the top and not run through the spout I have not had it clog since.
Hang in there you will get her cleared .

RogerDat
11-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Do you *GASP* cast with a ladle? Nice to know I ain't the only one marching to my own drummer out there. ...Roger Dat

I do that as well, Roger AND I use Marvelux (with no problems whatsoever). I guess I'm on the fast track to perdition! (LOL)

Well nice thing about perdition is plenty of heat for casting, heat treating or PC baking! And I have lived with a couple of cats I would be pretty sure to meet there for a reunion. Would miss the dogs however.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Relax fellas.
I meant no disrespect to users of Marvelux. While I won't use Marvelux for a bottom pour, I understand it to work well for ladle casting, as a few of you fellas have attested to.

Why I asked if the OP used Marvelux:
I had to clean up a Lee pot that had deposits that were "very hard and shiney", just like the OP mentioned. It turned out that the previous owner used Marvelux, and likely used more than needed...which when that happens, I've learned that a buildup of very hard and shiney deposits occur.

Conditor22
11-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Why do guys, in particular, think they know move than the manufacturer does :( I see it a lot with yard chemicals, additives, powder loads, powder coating bake time, .....

More, bigger, longer, faster isn't always better.

I ran into some dental lead that really messed up the pot and ruined a mold. don't know what was in it. took a lot of wire brushing to save the pot.

robg
11-23-2019, 03:54 PM
I use a Sunday spoon in my 10 Lee pot to scape the junk out .only emptied it once when it really cloged up,polished the rod and spigot up with solvol autosol polish been fine since .been using it for 20 years so I can't complain .

30coupe
11-23-2019, 05:50 PM
I flux with plain old rosin and scrape the pot with a modified putty knife. That seems to loosen up the crud and bring it to the top. I'm using a Lee bottom pour now since my old plain pot crapped out after untold years. I don't see it as all that much of an improvement to be honest. The rod is in the way of a ladel unless the pot is nearly full, so pouring from the bottom is pretty much required. It does drip a bit but clogging is rare. I've found that taking a screwdriver and turning the rod back and forth while applying a bit of pressure usually clears the spigot for me. Obviously, the pot has to be at casting temp when you do this.

Fly
11-23-2019, 07:33 PM
OK I got my new pot in today. Lee has made an improvement to there new pots that is long over dew. The weak part in there pots have been the spouts.
They come with a machine steel spout now. It looks to be removable. It has a hex head on the inside of the spout were you can unscrew it with a socket.
Been watching football today, so tomorrow I,m going to try & open the clogged spout on the ole pot.

Fly

tankgunner59
11-25-2019, 10:26 PM
I’d warm up the pot, I suspect there’s lead mixed with dross that is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Warm it up and use a old spoon to break it loose then scoop it out.

A picture would be helpful, I have cleaned the pot a few times, never had anything of note.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

I just cleaned mine about two weeks ago and I used this method. It all came loose real easy.

gwpercle
11-26-2019, 11:28 AM

The three of us can form a club ! ...Ladle Caster's United ...
Gary

Maven
11-26-2019, 01:30 PM
I'd be honored, Gary!

Geezer in NH
11-26-2019, 04:29 PM
20 pound melter pot

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-service-parts/mold-and-melter-parts/lee-el3474-pro-420-standard-pot

10 pound melter pot

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-service-parts/mold-and-melter-parts/lee-em1097-propot-assembly

Beter than poisoning your self IMHO

Krag1902
11-27-2019, 11:32 AM
I clean my bottom pour Lee regularly. Pour out the last little bit of alloy while the pot is still very hot, scrape the sides with a screwdriver to loosen the crud up and it all goes to the bottom. Take a pointed tool like an ice pick and pry out the foreign stuff sticking near the spout, and dump the solids out. Then, take one of the stainless steel scouring pads ( sold at auto parts stores) and scour the sides and bottom. It's doesn't have to shine, but that is how I arrive at and maintain a CLEAN lead pot.