PDA

View Full Version : Wife had a flat

Hogtamer
11-20-2019, 09:16 PM
She hit something in the road coming home from work. A strange helped her out. :drinks

Petrol & Powder
11-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Someone with a gun was being kind.........what will the liberals say? 8-)

skeettx
11-20-2019, 09:17 PM
The safest people are those with a carry license :)

Mike

osteodoc08
11-21-2019, 05:49 AM
There are still gentlemen in the south. Good job sir. I will say he’s an older gentleman and not of the youthful variety. Do millennials even know how to change a tire? My ex wife’s long time boyfriend abhors guns but also had to call AAA to change the tire on his Tundra [smilie=1:

richhodg66
11-21-2019, 07:05 AM
There are still gentlemen in the south. Good job sir. I will say he’s an older gentleman and not of the youthful variety. Do millennials even know how to change a tire? My ex wife’s long time boyfriend abhors guns but also had to call AAA to change the tire on his Tundra [smilie=1:

There are still gentlemen and decent people everywhere.

Around here (rural Kansas) if a car is stopped on the side of the road, it 's usually the first or second car that comes along who stops and at least asks if they're OK or could use some help. I was in the Army for 24 years and hence, gone a lot. There were a few times the wife had a problem like car trouble or something and the kindness of strangers kept it from becoming a real problem. I still believe most people are OK and help each other out, maybe I'm naïve.

Petrol & Powder
11-21-2019, 07:28 AM
To answer the question: "Do millennials even know how to change a tire?" - The answer is a definitive "NO".
They can however, watch a youtube video on their smart phone that demonstrates how to change a tire only to find out that their spare tire is missing or flat.

I have helped a lot people change tires over the years and what was once a common skillset held by any male over the age of 15 is now about non-existent.

The lack of foresight is also shocking. Most people couldn't find the spare tire and have never checked the air pressure in the spare.
One of the first things I do when obtaining a "new to me" vehicle, is to check out the spare tire, jack, lug wrench and lug nuts.
I will clean and lubricate the jack and make sure it's functional. I check the spare and make sure it is inflated. I also break loose all of the lug nuts, put a little bit of grease on the threads and re-torque them. You should do this for your significant others. Even if they cannot change a flat, someone may help them change a flat and all of that equipment needs to be serviceable.
If the vehicle has a cheap lug wrench (a lot of the factory ones suck), put a good one in the vehicle.

A little preparation can prevent a minor problem from becoming a major problem.

RU shooter
11-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Yes there are still good people in this world that man is a good example . Not all of this younger mill generation are clueless . My son who is 22 can figure stuff out pretty well with a little coaching from dad his first flat tire he called me asking what do I do ! I responded in a stern dad voice "figure it out the instructions are in the owners manual and on a sticker where the spare is at" and I hung up the phone ! Guess what the tire got changed and he figured it out . The younger ones just need a shove in the right direction with some things

Ole Joe Clarke
11-21-2019, 08:43 AM
I have helped change a few in my life, but in the latter years it's much harder for me to do. I was driving to call on a customer many years ago when a car passed me with two females and a almost flat right rear tire. I kept a look out for them, and sure enough, I saw them on the side of the interstate. I stopped and changed the tire for them. I remember that it was very hot from running flat.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

pworley1
11-21-2019, 09:07 AM
I stopped to help a twenty something young man change a tire last year. He was just standing there looking at his flat like it would change itself when I stopped. I asked if needed any help and he said he did. He did not know where his spare was, or his jack. He did not know how to use the jack or where to put it. He had no idea how to get his fancy wheel covers off or even which direction to turn the lug nuts. Instead of changing it for him I made him to the work while he did the work. He did a pretty good job, except he could not break the lugs loose.

frkelly74
11-21-2019, 09:56 AM
My daughter needed a jump so she called her room mate and neither one could figure out how to get the hood open on the room mates car. Probably just as well, might have fried something expensive. Those kind of things make me aware and ashamed of the fact that we may have coddeled her too much. On the other hand when I tried to teach her to change a tire she weighed 80 pounds and could not turn the lug nuts even standing on the wrench.

lightman
11-21-2019, 10:06 AM
There are still good people in the world. I've stopped to help lots of people and my Wife has had a few to stop and help her. I don't think its just a Southern thing but it does make me proud to know that the men in the South are keeping the tradition going.

sparkyv
11-21-2019, 10:11 AM
I will help when I can, but these days I think twice, living in such a litigious society. Sidebar: I had to change my tire a few months ago on my Tacoma, and it was all I could do to lift that sucker up into place! ...gettin' old.

Alan in Vermont
11-21-2019, 11:59 AM
When our kids started driving we had a few stipulations about what was expected of them. Right up there on the list was that "Dad was NOT AAA! Before they could use the vehicles they had to know how to change a tire. They had to prove they could by actually changing one right here in the driveway, under my supervision. The girls struggled with it but they both got it done, our son got a pass on that because he had already learned by working on vehicles with me. The only exception to that was if they couldn't get the lugs loose. I would show up for that but when I got there the rig had to be off the ground and the spare down and ready to install.

My parents thought that was totally unreasonable of me. Too bad, our vehicles, our rules. Live with them or walk! :)

rondog
11-21-2019, 12:07 PM
I've been known to help out a few stranded motorists in my younger days.....getting riskier though.

country gent
11-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Like Allen in Vermont, my three had to change a tire also, along with check oils wiper fluids and radiator. So they knew how. My oldest daughter and son did fine with the tire change. Middle daughter we found out she needed 3 foot pipe for the lug wrench. She could jump up and down on it and not break lugs loose. Only way to find this out though is to do it.

I have stopped and changed tires for people. A couple were even older gents who knew how and were more than capable but were in suits and I was in jeans LOL. I have also pulled people out of the ditch in winter. Not a big deal to do . Took people to get gas that had ran out. All of this calls under being neighborly and is just a part of being a help.
Now with cell phones and internet help is a phone call away but the Gent who stops and helps offers his time and knowledge is still there and appreciated.

rockrat
11-21-2019, 12:33 PM
Many don't even know how to maintain a car. Case in point, a daughter of a friend of the Wifes ,bought a new car. Drove it for I don't know how long, and ignored the engine light on the dash when it came on and just drove the car. Ran the car out of oil, burned up the engine, wanted Mom and Dad to foot the bill for the repairs!!

Told my kid, if you are going to drive, you will know how to check oil, ect. Only one in the group of friends who knew how to drive a stick.

Thumbcocker
11-21-2019, 12:45 PM
This thread creates mixed feelings for me. First off kudos for the MAN who helped a motorist with a flat. Done a few myself.

Second on the subject of women and kids not knowing stuff. The fact is that they mostly don't know stuff because they weren't taught anything. Women are capable of doing mist stuff men can (upper body strength can be a factor) but no one teaches them . Our generation can't avoid some blame for this. We needed and need to teach more. Worried about declining hunting and shooting numbers? Take a woman or millennial hunting or shooting. Offer some deer jerky or fresh picked veggies. I have unofficially adopted a millenial. I taught her to shoot. I shared fresh grilled backstrap with her, I was present when she took the Illinois ccw course. She elected to not get a foid card or own a gun but she knows the basics. For Christmas one year I bought her a lithium booster pack to keep in her car. She lives in Chicago. She sent me an excited text last winter about her car not starting (very cold morning) and how she had used the booster pack to start the car by herself. She was THRILLED that she had done this without calling AAA.

Mrs. Thumbcocker's nephew is a millenial living in Austin. He has seen pics of our garden and deer meat. He told us "there are hipsters in Austin who dream about living the way you do." He wants to come for a visit to learn stuff. I will oblige him.

Years ago I saw a documentary on living treasures of Japan. Elderly Japanese with special skills were named living treasures. They were given a medal, a small stipend, and an obligation to teach youngsters. It is considered a great honor.

The next time we want to complain about women and millennials not knowing anything maybe we should ask ourselves how many women or millennials we have taken the time to teach.

Hogtamer
11-21-2019, 01:05 PM
The first 3 posters it seems looked at the photo. I assume everyone here would help a stranded lady needing assistance but not everyone has a glocky looking thing strapped on when they do.

Winger Ed.
11-21-2019, 01:16 PM
I had to change my tire a few months ago on my Tacoma, and it was all I could do to lift that sucker up into place! ...gettin' old.

There's a trick to it:

Jack the car up. Pull the flat tire off.
Lower the jack enough to roll the spare over and tilt it in place so one lug nut hole drops over a stud. Start the nut.
Raise the jack, and as it lifts up, it'll pull the tire onto the lugs.

This'll work on a car, and it's about the only way to put on something like a 5' tall tractor tire by yourself.

Todd N.
11-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Someone with a gun was being kind.........what will the liberals say? 8-)

They will say that the guy with the "assault weapon" forced the motorist to let him do "unnecessary" things to her car and that she was minding her own business when he "cornered her". LMAO!

You don't honestly expect the liberal media to allow this to get out, do you???

white eagle
11-21-2019, 01:30 PM
not sure many in this day and age would stop
just not many people who have the that type of consideration anymore
most would point and say look if they can put down their phones for that long
I believe there are a few that would help and am thankful a stranded women
had good fortune to find one

popper
11-21-2019, 02:31 PM
A lot of the new lug wrenches are well - too short for leverage but if you step on the handle they do work.

Ickisrulz
11-21-2019, 02:44 PM
I will make sure my sons know how to change a tire before they go out driving on their own.

However, some new cars don't make changing the tire an easy process so I am not surprised people call the auto club. For example, in order to get to the spare tire in our mini-van you have to remove the three center seats. Fortunately I haven't had to do this in the dark with a full load of people along side the highway. It's bad enough doing it in my driveway. Inaccessibility also makes if difficult to check the air pressure on the spare. It's my understanding, that some new cars don't even come with a spare tire.

As cars become more advanced and reliable, the arts of checking the oil level and tire pressure will be lost; if they haven't been already.

Winger Ed.
11-21-2019, 03:17 PM
It's my understanding, that some new cars don't even come with a spare tire.
As cars become more advanced and reliable, the arts of checking the oil level and tire pressure will be lost; if they haven't been already.

Yep. There are new cars without a spare or even a place to stow it,
and many that you have to buy it, a jack, and wrench as an option.

Higher end luxury cars in the last few years now tell you their tire pressures.

We have also seen less and less cars over the last 20 years that have a dipstick
to check the level or add fluid in automatic transmissions.

The wife had a 2000 Olds. Alero and our 2002 Exlorer that to add trans. fluid,
you have to pull out a plug under there and add fluid through a cooler hose until it overflows.

fiberoptik
11-21-2019, 05:26 PM
When my daughter was a teen about to drive, these were the 1st things I showed her. How to check oil, fluids, where spare was & how to change it. How to do her own oil changes. My 10 year old grandson.........he better learn to take the bus [emoji589]! Unless of course they make a video game [emoji452] of how to get er done [emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeettx
11-21-2019, 05:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1hF25Cowv8

Petrol & Powder
11-21-2019, 06:07 PM
They will say that the guy with the "assault weapon" forced the motorist to let him do "unnecessary" things to her car and that she was minding her own business when he "cornered her". LMAO!

You don't honestly expect the liberal media to allow this to get out, do you???

You make very valid points.

rking22
11-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Most people I know will stop to help,, most people I know have a carry gun. Is there a correlation?? Maybe :)
Both my son and daughter know how to change a tire, and lots of other things too. They are 25 and 26, but that does not seem to be the norm. Daughter had to walk a friends boyfriend thru changing a tire when she was 17 or so, net that guy lost some “man” points! Son drives manuals only, just got a good buy on a Camero because it was a stick. There was only one salesman on the lot that could bring it around to test drive, hilarious! Their look was priceless when they realized he was the one shopping and I was along for the ride! Fact is, the Camero has no spare, tools or anything! Got them to throw in the compressor and repair kit from the option list. No problem he rode motorcycles for about 3 years, no spare there either. He will also stop to help anyone, I told my daughter I would wring her neck if she did that! Yep, she has a carry gun,M36 son hasn’t gotten round to it but will. All melinials aren’t helpless, and if they are it can reflect a lot to do with their parents. I bet our parents said the same of us..

fatelk
11-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Reminds me that I need to show my daughter how to change a flat, or rather walk her through doing it herself in the driveway. She just got her learner’s permit, but started reading at the age of 3, and had read the car instruction manual in the glovebox cover to cover by 5. She’s a voracious reader.

I had a flat on my Tacoma a few months ago. My boss and I were at the range, and noticed a flat while leaving. He was all excited because he hadn’t changed a flat in a while, it was funny. As we were getting the jack out I got worried because I didn’t remember checking the pressure in the spare recently, but it was ok. Then I realized I didn’t remember ever having a flat in that truck, in the nearly 20 years I’ve had it.

When I got the spare down, it still had the dealership sticker on the valve stem, and the little whiskers on the tread from never being used. It’s the original spare from 1997! I bought new tires and put the spare back under the truck. It’s still fine, for a spare. I needed new tires because I bought the set that was on it when my oldest daughter was born, and she just got her driver’s permit. The guy at the tire shop said 15 years is kind of a long time to run a set of tires. :)

fatelk
11-21-2019, 08:59 PM
I remember reading a story some years back after Joe Foss passed away. It was written by a woman who had had a flat tire decades earlier out on a lonely road in the middle of South Dakota somewhere. This was long, long before cell phones, and she was wondering what to do.

A nicely dressed, middle aged guy came along and offered to help her. He rolled up his sleeves and had the tire changed quickly. She offered to pay him something, but he declined; “Compliments of the state of South Dakota, Ma’am. I’m the governor, Joe Foss.”

Petrol & Powder
11-21-2019, 10:08 PM
I remember reading a story some years back after Joe Foss passed away. It was written by a woman who had had a flat tire decades earlier out on a lonely road in the middle of South Dakota somewhere. This was long, long before cell phones, and she was wondering what to do.

A nicely dressed, middle aged guy came along and offered to help her. He rolled up his sleeves and had the tire changed quickly. She offered to pay him something, but he declined; “Compliments of the state of South Dakota, Ma’am. I’m the governor, Joe Foss.”

Well, yeah......of course he would do that !
He would do that if he wasn't the governor.

Joe Foss was a real man.

lightman
11-22-2019, 10:00 AM
I noticed the pistol that the Good Samaritan was wearing but didn't think to comment on it.

My boys started driving farm trucks and equipment before they were teenagers, so they have some basic knowledge about repairs and service. They also were taught how to change a tire, change the oil and filters and do minor repairs. They can also drive a standard transmission. I hope to be able to teach the Grandkids some of this stuff, even the Granddaughters. The trouble is going to be finding a standard transmission vehicle for them to practice with. Maybe my shooting buddy will loan me his Porsche! :drinks:

gwpercle
11-22-2019, 10:16 AM
When my daughter was a teen about to drive, these were the 1st things I showed her. How to check oil, fluids, where spare was & how to change it. How to do her own oil changes. My 10 year old grandson.........he better learn to take the bus [emoji589]! Unless of course they make a video game [emoji452] of how to get er done [emoji736]

After teaching my daughter to shoot...that came several years before driving , I also taught mine where to put water , oil , ATF , brake fluid , power steering fluid (kept some extra in a box in the the trunk) and then how to change a tire . That was so long ago she "needed to know" how...
cell phones and road side assistance may have now made that "need to know" information obsolete" . But just in case her cell phone battery runs out maybe the old man's lessons might come in handy .

Dad...soon to be replaced by technology.
Gary

Hossfly
11-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Funny thing, last Sunday morning leaving for church, wife’s car 1 yo Nissan, the warning left front tire low. Sensors came up all at 28# except LF was at 27#. Weather at 32’, well all came up to around 30# in next few miles. That afternoon while sitting in deer stand, got a forwarded E Mail from SWmbo that Nissan said car had reported to her, the tires needed to be aired up. Ok Ok Ok got em all to 40# and car is happy.

Petrol & Powder
11-22-2019, 08:37 PM
Funny thing, last Sunday morning leaving for church, wife’s car 1 yo Nissan, the warning left front tire low. Sensors came up all at 28# except LF was at 27#. Weather at 32’, well all came up to around 30# in next few miles. That afternoon while sitting in deer stand, got a forwarded E Mail from SWmbo that Nissan said car had reported to her, the tires needed to be aired up. Ok Ok Ok got em all to 40# and car is happy.

It was 32 degrees in Louisiana ? Al Gore must have been all wrong about that Global Warming thing. :-D

Idaho45guy
11-23-2019, 12:03 AM
I haven't had to pull over and help someone with a flat for years, but every Winter I end up pulling at least 2-3 people out of the ditch in the snow on my way to or from work. Most have been very gracious about it and nearly all try to give me money. Never taken it.

Last time I needed help I was camping back in the Idaho woods and the battery died on my Yukon overnight. Started hiking out when a group of bear hunters came along about a mile or so later and offered to jump start me. Plenty of good people still around out here.

I remember back in `91, I was driving from a Navy training school at NAS Lemoore in California to my new duty station in Washington state. I was driving along the interstate somewhere in California in my 1966 F100 and saw a man and a kid pulled over in a newer Chrysler minivan. I stopped and the guy said his fuel gauge must be broken since it ran out of gas but still showed half tank.

He was freaking out since it was in the desert in the middle of nowhere, he had a young child with him, too dangerous to walk to a pay phone along the interstate with a child, and despite the constant traffic, no one had stopped in the last two hours.

He was incredulous that I actually stopped, and that I actually had an extra 5 gallons of gas with me. I guess even back then, California sucked...

justashooter
11-23-2019, 01:38 AM
dude has no situational awareness.

MrWolf
11-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Bout 20 years plus ago a woman was pulled over in a not to heavily traveled area with a flat. I offered to change her tire and she said she didn't have a spare. I always carried a can of fix it or whatever was called for emergency flats in my truck. Got her up and going. No thanks, nothing just drove off. At least I know I did right.

BrutalAB
11-23-2019, 12:26 PM
32, right in the middle of millenial age bracket.
Dad taught me how to change a flat before i got my permit, but more importantly he taught me why it was important to know how. Back then it was a bit more believable that i would get a flat in an area without cell coverage and no one around to help. Course he also taught me the importance of being able to help myself, as well as others.

A month ago i taught myself how to change and balance a set of tires on the wheels. Just cause i felt it might be an important skill to have, and it didnt cost any more than paying the tire store to do it for me.

Being one that not only loads his own ammo but also casts his own boolits, i dont think i am representing the triggered snowflake generation as a whole.

I dont think a simple lack of teaching these skills is entirely to blame. Looking back, everything i really learned was either taught why it was important or i knew right away it was important. I was fed so much useless stuff in school, i had to filter things into important long term memory and if it wasnt obvious it was important, it was immediatly forgotten.

rking22
11-23-2019, 03:00 PM
” Looking back, everything i really learned was either taught why it was important or i knew right away it was important. I was fed so much useless stuff in school, i had to filter things into important long term memory and if it wasnt obvious it was important, it was immediatly forgotten.”

Very good point, often overlooked.

Handloader109
11-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Daughter could probably do it, but her car has no spare, just a electric compressor. Which she uses to keep her tires aired up when seasons change. No, a lot don't know anything, but neither do their parents.......

gwpercle
11-24-2019, 07:18 PM

Used to be it was just a nagging wife... now your car nags you !
Another reason to keep my 1968 Chevelle... it's not a nagger .

mjwcaster
11-24-2019, 08:45 PM
It isn’t just the younger folk, I have become lazy and complacent as I get older.

There is a spare under my minivan, but I haven’t checked the air pressure in the two years I’ve had it.
In cars with easily accessible spares I still checked them once or twice a year.

Too much of a pain to drop it and check.
I probably will check it if I ever take a road trip, most of my travels are less than 50 miles from home.

I did have a flat a few months ago, in the neighborhood.
Got to within two blocks of my house.
Parked the van and walked home.
Went back in the morning with a floor jack and real tools, pulled the wheel off and took a spare tire into the shop and had it swapped.

I don’t even check my air pressure much anymore.
I stop by discount tire when I am shopping near by and someone comes out and checks it for me.

I do feel lazy doing that, but my small compressor died years ago and the big one is at my folks house.

I still work on my vehicles when I have to, and clean them out occasionally. It gets washed when it rains.

Big change from the kid that used to detail his new mustang every weekend, cleaning air vents, every surface and occasionally taking out the seats to clean all the carpeting.

Where did that young fella go?

Idaho45guy
11-24-2019, 11:57 PM
Used to be it was just a nagging wife... now your car nags you !
Another reason to keep my 1968 Chevelle... it's not a nagger .

rbuck351
11-25-2019, 04:57 AM
Many people now days work at jobs that are specialized. You do one thing and anything in your life that doesn't fit in your job specialty gets done by someone else that specializes in what ever you don't. Most people that are not mechanics know how to put in the key, turn it and out the shifter in drive. After that if it doesn't go, they call a mechanic. Never could afford to have someone else work on my car so I had to become a mechanic. Not being handicapped by having a lot of extra money, I learned how to do a lot of things most folks don't such as pluming, wiring, carpentry, operating lathes, mills and a lot of other things. I also taught my kids to do much of their own repair on their homes and cars. My youngest son crunched an A arm on his car by hitting a curb and called me to see what he needed to do. Being about 2500 miles away, I talked him through replacing the A arm while on his cell phone. Now that he is a computer programmer he no longer does the oil changes and such but will still call when he needs help fixing something expensive with his cars. I also stop to see if someone along the road is having problems. Just seems like the right thing to do.

frkelly74
11-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Just a thought, If you have your spare in a rack under the car you might want to make sure the threads are still in owrking condition so that you could actually get the spare out if you needed it. I have seen some pretty rusty threads on those mechanisms.

Hossfly
11-25-2019, 09:44 AM
The Co. I worked for supplied service trucks, about every 4-5 years after they were worn out you got a new one. I remember one in particular was inspecting at a dealership ready to pickup said new truck, checking oil, tires etc, got to the back bumper, salesman standing right with me.

I said, Can’t accept this truck, why he ask, there is no hole in the bumper to let the spare down. He was just flabbergasted, you have to pay attn. to these things.

My Boss picked up new truck, made is about 3 blocks, engine locked up, had not one drop of oil in the crankcase. How it got to Louisiana, on a train without oil, thru dealership is beyond me. They sent new one immediately, you have to pay attention to these things.

BrassMagnet
11-25-2019, 11:20 AM
A lot of the new lug wrenches are well - too short for leverage but if you step on the handle they do work.

I am very strong. Strong isn't enough for breaking loose lug nuts. Extender pipes help, but may not be long enough. You can really strain muscles or otherwise injure yourself breaking loose a lug nut.

So do it the right way to make it easier and reduce the risk!
Jack it up just enough to "make it light on the ground" before you break the lug nut loose. Find a position where you are are "pulling the jack handle UP while pushing up with your legs while your back is as straight as possible." When all of the lug nuts are broken loose, jack it up just enough to remove the flat tire. twist off all of the lug nuts. Remove the flat tire. Roll the spare into place. Get one or two studs through the hole and barely start a lug nut. Jack it up until the spare is barely clear of the ground. Put on the rest of the lug nuts and tighten them as good as you can using a pattern where you tighten every other one until all are somewhat tight. Lower the tire until it is "light on the ground" and tighten the lug nuts some more. Free spinning wheels will be much looser before the "light on the ground" tightening! Lower it the rest of the way and tighten again. Put everything away before driving off!

Note: Many rims are painted with clear coat paint which turns into glue! I ran into one which failed at 12,000' on a seldom traveled dirt road with no cell coverage. I couldn't even text a co-worker who was ahead of me. I had no tools able to pry it off with and I finally beat it off the car with a big rock. The Ford Expedition could have fallen off of the jack and killed me if I had been underneath the car. A former co-worker died that way!

rbuck351
11-25-2019, 12:37 PM
I put a 4 way lug wrench in each of my vehicles. You can stand on one side while lifting on the opposite side. I twisted of a lug on a pickup that had been run in salt water once. Had to go back to the shop and get a torch to heat the rest so they could be removed. Yeah, don't ever crawl under a vehicle that's on just a car jack.

fatelk
11-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Many years ago I went camping with friends. One friend showed up late, running on a wobbly “donut” that had almost fallen off. She had a flat a few miles back, and as she was getting out to deal with it, an older gentleman came along and offered to help. He changed the tire ok, but apparently wasn’t familiar with the little donut spares for small cars, because he put it on backwards and it came loose!

The ironic thing is that though she was a cute young girl in her early 20s, she knew how to change a flat because her dad had taught her. She still appreciated the guy stopping to help though.

blackthorn
11-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Just a thought, If you have your spare in a rack under the car you might want to make sure the threads are still in owrking condition so that you could actually get the spare out if you needed it. I have seen some pretty rusty threads on those mechanisms.

Also a good idea to carry a 3 pound (or better) short sledge hammer to beat off those aluminum rims that sort of weld themselves to the steel axel/drum.

WRideout
11-25-2019, 11:22 PM
Quite a few years ago, I was traveling through the mountainous West at night when I saw a car stranded beside the road. The two guys that were there had a spare with air in it, but no wrench. I used to keep a pretty good set of tools in my car all the time. I dug around and found a spark plug wrench that fit the lug nuts (remember those?). A few minutes work and they were on their way.

Wayne

Idaho45guy
11-26-2019, 05:08 AM

I bet you have up there in the frozen North! Things I have seen in the Midwest and salted roads cannot be unseen...

I haven't had a flat tire in decades. I have been off-roading plenty in the back country and have a 4-way lug nut wrench and other stuff in a plastic tote box full of emergency gear that I rarely have to use. I've found the most important tool is the computer between your ears. When I was younger, I would take roads and trails that now I really don't need to find out where they go. Sucks getting older and wiser.

skeettx
11-26-2019, 07:26 AM
I keep one of these in my SUV

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-1-2-half-inch-emergency-impact-wrench-92349.html

At 70 year old, it really helps

Mike

Petrol & Powder
11-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Also a good idea to carry a 3 pound (or better) short sledge hammer to beat off those aluminum rims that sort of weld themselves to the steel axel/drum.
On one occasion I helped a tow truck driver change a tire on a Toyota PU. It had alloy wheels and some weird corrosion between the wheel and the brake drum. We could not break the wheel loose after removing the lug nuts. Even hit it with a 5' long piece of 4x4 lumber. Eventually put a 6' piece of pipe through one of the holes in the wheel and pried it off. You see the pipe AND the wheel flexing before it finally popped off. It was INSANE how tightly that wheel had bonded to the hub & brake drum.

I had a similar experience with the girlfriend's car and a plain ol' steel wheel.

One of the downsides of better quality tires is the length of time the wheel remains un-disturbed. Those wheels should be removed occasionally so that when they need to come off....... they can come off.

WRideout
11-26-2019, 08:12 AM
On one occasion I helped a tow truck driver change a tire on a Toyota PU. It had alloy wheels and some weird corrosion between the wheel and the brake drum. We could not break the wheel loose after removing the lug nuts. Even hit it with a 5' long piece of 4x4 lumber. Eventually put a 6' piece of pipe through one of the holes in the wheel and pried it off. You see the pipe AND the wheel flexing before it finally popped off. It was INSANE how tightly that wheel had bonded to the hub & brake drum.

I had a similar experience with the girlfriend's car and a plain ol' steel wheel.

One of the downsides of better quality tires is the length of time the wheel remains un-disturbed. Those wheels should be removed occasionally so that when they need to come off....... they can come off.

It seems like a coating of anti seize between those parts might be appropriate.
Wayne

rking22
11-26-2019, 01:57 PM
Those plastic hubcaps and plastic lug nut covers that hold the plastic cover. Seems the plastic cover is stronger than the plastic nuts. I had a Regal with those. Had a flat about 3 miles from home. All jacked up, spare laying there. The plastic nut was rounded off under the fake chrome tinfoil cover. Got all off but the one. I am not a small man, but I could NOT break that stupid cover to get it off. Nothing with enough leverage. Walked home got a crowbar and took the truck back. A half hour of prying, cussing, and hammering I got it changed. Took the other 3 hubcaps off, 2 easy, the last had to break/ beat, destroy to get it off. Idiot at gateway must have used an impact to put the hubcaps on!!! If you got those things, be sure you can get them off or spare and tools is no help.

Winger Ed.
11-26-2019, 02:55 PM
. It had alloy wheels and some weird corrosion between the wheel and the brake drum. We could not break the wheel loose after removing the lug nuts. Even hit it with a 5' long piece of 4x4 lumber. .

A buddy had that happen once.
He ended up putting the lug nuts back on about 1/4" from being seated, and drove the car a few yards.
It worked for him to break the seal between the rim and the hub.

popper
11-26-2019, 09:14 PM
Jack it up just enough to "make it light on the ground" before you break the lug nut yup, proper way to do it. Remember when some cars had lug nuts the turned clockwise on one side and counter on the other? Those lugs do break if you do it wrong. The old guy didn't say anything when we changed his tire and broke one.

redhawk0
11-26-2019, 09:37 PM
OK...I wasn't gonna share this...but here goes...my Son-in-Law called me one day because my daughter's car had a flat. He was looking for help. I packed up the plug kit, air compressor, and X lug wrench with me.

I showed up and he's looking at the car (all 4 wheels on the ground) with the rear passenger tire flat. I asked him what was going on...

He said he'd never changed a tire before (25 years old)...and decided to look up a Youtube video on how to change a tire. He said step one was to loosen all the lug nuts.....ALL THE LUG NUTS.....yes, all 4 tires.

I asked him to think about it for a second....which tire is flat....."passenger rear"....was the answer...I then asked a second question...then why the rest of the tires were loosened....he said...that was part of the instructions online.

WOW!!!!!

20 minutes later, I had the tire off, plugged the screw hole that was in it...pumped back up...and went around the vehicle to tighten all 20 lug nuts on the vehicle.

Common sense is like a flower.....it doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

redhawk

Winger Ed.
11-26-2019, 09:58 PM
[B] Remember when some cars had lug nuts the turned clockwise on one side and counter on the other?.

Chrysler had those. Left hand threaded on the driver's side.

I broke two lug studs jumping up & down on a Craftsman 1/2" drive breaker bar on a '70 Fury learning that.

In the process, I bent the breaker bar too.

I took it back to Sear's to try out their tool warranty.
The lady there gave me a new one. I asked if she wanted to know how it got bent.
She said, "People that bend one of these,,,,, we don't ask them a lot of questions".

Petrol & Powder
11-26-2019, 11:33 PM
It seems like a coating of anti seize between those parts might be appropriate.
Wayne
Very Appropriate
However, that needs to happen before the problem is discovered :-D

The PU wasn't mine, just some dude I was helping. If we didn't have that long section of pipe that would have required a tow because that wheel was not coming off.
As a result of those experiences, I now pull the wheels off of "new to me" vehicles, clean the mating surfaces and put a thin layer of grease on them.

Petrol & Powder
11-26-2019, 11:36 PM
A buddy had that happen once.
He ended up putting the lug nuts back on about 1/4" from being seated, and drove the car a few yards.
It worked for him to break the seal between the rim and the hub.
We were just about down to that option and I think you could have almost crossed the state without lug nuts in that situation. That wheel was STUCK on!

Petrol & Powder
11-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Chrysler had those. Left hand threaded on the driver's side.

I broke two lug studs jumping up & down on a Craftsman 1/2" drive breaker bar on a '70 Fury learning that.

In the process, I bent the breaker bar too.

I took it back to Sear's to try out their tool warranty.
The lady there gave me a new one. I asked if she wanted to know how it got bent.
She said, "People that bend one of these,,,,, we don't ask them a lot of questions".

Yep, Chrysler had left hand threads on one side.

International Harvester did too. I learned that the hard way.

skeettx
11-27-2019, 09:51 AM
And Pontiac's as in my 1952 Chieftain