PDA

View Full Version : T i a

Battis
11-18-2019, 12:24 AM
Anyone here have any experiences with TIA (mini strokes)? There's plenty of info online but I was wondering about actual experience. They tell me I had one and I don't see the Doc till next week. I read that 1 in 3 people who have them go on to a full blown stroke.

Bloodman14
11-18-2019, 01:06 AM
Transient Ischemic Attack is usually indicated by suddenly slurred or random speech, sudden confusion, or disorientation. there are a few other symptoms, but those are the first to come to mind. Yes, see your doctor soon, as a TIA can be indicative of future CVAs (CerebroVascular Accidents), known as strokes.

daengmei
11-18-2019, 02:14 AM
I am 62. I had a stroke at 28, blood clot. In the past few years I have had several events that scared me. The worst was when I woke from a terrible sleep being thirsty and as I walked to the fridge for water, I began loosing my vision. I was blind by the time I reached the fridge, and lowered myself to the floor before I fell. It was February and the floor was cold, that probably saved my tail caused I lay there for nearly 2 hours gaining and loosing vision. Finally I could make it up and the only thing on my mind was to get warm. As soon as I could manage the cell phone I called 911. A night in the hospital and they said TIA. These events really can be bad when you're alone.

2A-Jay
11-18-2019, 04:48 AM
I had 9 TIA's during the summer of 2014. The ambulance personnel and I were on first name basis. They finally figured out what was wrong with me, a 100% blocked right inner carotid artery. A Carotid Endarterectomy fixed the problem, and daily medications have kept it in check since then. My Medical insurance covered everything. I lost some strength in my dominant Leg is the only lasting problem.

Please DO NOT take these lightly!

dangitgriff
11-18-2019, 06:14 AM
Transient Ischemic Attack is usually indicated by suddenly slurred or random speech, sudden confusion, or disorientation. there are a few other symptoms, but those are the first to come to mind. Yes, see your doctor soon, as a TIA can be indicative of future CVAs (CerebroVascular Accidents), known as strokes.

I better quit drinking to narrow down my diagnosis!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191118/fe2041979c68b538fc9449a34797a3f6.jpg

Battis
11-18-2019, 07:08 AM
I didn't know what was happening. Funny thing is that I drove for a few miles while it was happening. I never lost vision but I was really confused - I was driving perfectly fine but these dreams were occurring that made me wonder what was real, what wasn't. I pulled over and let my wife drive, then fell into a deep sleep. I remember saying to my wife, "Is this what it's like being a woman?" That didn't go over well. Anyways, DR said not much to be done for that one but gotta prevent the next one. Aspirin, statins, etc.

Hickory
11-18-2019, 07:52 AM
I had a mini stroke 2 years ago this past September. I was selling my vegetables at the Farmers Market when it happened.
One of the customers there recognised I was having a stroke because I started talking gibberish, he and another woman loaded me into a car and took me to the hospital a block and a half away.

Even though my mind seem clear, the next 24-30 hours passed without little knowledge of really what was going on. It was like I was watching it happen to someone else.
Then on the second day I was ok and seemed alright again.
Thanks to someone who knew what a stroke was and getting help quickly.

My Dr. said it might have been caused because my pacemaker didn't correct the defib going on with my heart quick enough, causing a small blood clot to form.

I don't like getting old this way, where every year or so it feels like another piece of my health gets cut off and thrown away.

curdog
11-18-2019, 09:35 AM
My Dad had a mini stroke at the age of 82, with medication he lived another 10 years and died of lung cancer. Prayers sent and I wish you the best...………………………..curdog

popper
11-18-2019, 08:09 PM
3eye strokes in August. They are weird. They will do Doppler tests to find blockage, meantime baby aspirin is a help. Caused by clots.

Mr_Sheesh
11-18-2019, 11:30 PM
It's a good idea to carry chewable aspirin, to take if someone has a TIA, stroke, or heart attack. Those in Great Britain can buy an ASPOD (it's a little container in "Pharmacy Green" with room for 2 doses of Aspirin in it, that you can carry on a lanyard; Pretty costly shipping to the US though) - There are 3d printable versions on Thingiverse etc., but the rest of us can just carry a couple in paper towel wrapping in a small vial. Could save a life.