PDA

View Full Version : Crimping cast in a 35 Whelen

Tripplebeards
11-13-2019, 11:30 PM
So I was thinking my Lee factory crimp Collet die would work in my 35 Rem till I slid a Whelen round up in the die as saw the neck sticks way above the collet so that idea is out. So do I need to order the correct Lee taper die or use my factory crimp die? I would assume I could use the factory rcbs taper crimp die to push the case neck back to flush?

megasupermagnum
11-13-2019, 11:32 PM
Yes, if you your seating die has a crimping feature, that will work. Else try a 9mm taper crimp die and see if that works.

Tripplebeards
11-13-2019, 11:54 PM
I believe the RCBS a roll crimp. I went on Lee’s website and they had a custom overrun 35 Whelen factory Crimp collet die they one left for $27 bucks. I grabbed it!

I’m pretty much sold on these crimp dies after I tried one on my Ruger 77/44. I went from 4 to 5 inch groups to sub moa at 100 yards with cast switching to this crimp.

Walks
11-14-2019, 02:03 AM
I don't crimp any ammo for bolt guns unless I plan on loading from the magazine.
My Seat/Crimp rifle dies are set up with a double locking nut on the seating stem. So I can loosen the seating stem without losing my seating depth. The Die body is set up to crimp.

After seating the bullet, I back out the seating stem and remove the die from the press. Then I remove the Redding "no crimp" washer from the case body. Screw the die back into the press and just crimp the case mouth into the bullet.