PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 3 Texan FW shotshell loaders?

pertnear
10-31-2019, 12:02 PM
I was at a sale & I bought 3 Texan FW shotshell reloaders (12,16,20 ga). For the price I just could not pass them up. They have some surface rust & just a couple of minor parts missing – 2 springs, 1 plunger & 1 base cup for priming. The 20 ga seems 100% functional as is. The 16 ga has a really neat adjustable shot/powder charge bar. The “use-to-be-clear” shot & powder tubes are all a mess & 2 tubes are missing.

Now what to do with them? The tinkerer in me wants me to apply some TLC & return all 3 to good functioning condition. Is fixing them up just a fool’s errand? Should I just part them out on Ebay?

Any missing parts I’m sure I could even fabricate if need be, but is there a source for the tubes? I know you can get clear PVC.

Your opinions, suggestions & recommendations are most appreciated!

GP100man
11-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Ifin ya wanna fix em up I`m sure someone on shotgunworld.com can point you in the right direction.

Not sure but I think PACIFIC took over TEXAN , then HORNADY took over????

GP100man

Winger Ed.
11-10-2019, 10:04 PM
If the tubes are the same size as a Hornady or other powder measure,
they'll sell you a couple pre-cut so ya don't need to buy a 20' stick of it.

The outside diameter of the new Hornady tube is 2.230"
Can't tell about the size, but the caps on yours look exactly like the new Hornady powder measure caps.

If ya don't have a lathe you can make a couple of those parts with a die grinder & a drill press from a bolt shank & a bolt head.
Not that they'd be perfect reproductions, but they'd work.

Not sure about the spring, but it looks like ones that are used as part of the retainer for old school drum brakes.
Some auto parts stores have a bin with a assortment of them.

Decent size hardware stores have a spring assortment.
You should be able to find ones that are the right diameter, sort of the right tension,
and ya might could adjust them to the correct length with wire cutters.

rancher1913
11-11-2019, 07:22 AM
somewhere on this site is info about a guy who does reproduction parts for the texans, it was about 2 years ago I remember seeing it.

Springfield
11-12-2019, 01:20 AM
The adjustable charge bar is made in Canada and fit MEC reloaders also. I bet the primer cups are the same as a MEC too.

Andy Griffith
02-10-2020, 10:19 PM
The primer cup assembly is the same as a Mec for a 600 Jr.

Only reason i know that is I just picked up some Texans myself, and i need the tubes too. Haven't had time to measure them though.

skeettx
02-13-2020, 02:44 AM
PM sent
Thank you
Mike

dverna
02-13-2020, 07:56 AM
IMHO, the 12 ga and 20 ga machines are not worth spending much on. Very few people load 12 and 20 ga, as factory loads are not much more than reloads unless buying components in bulk. And there are plenty of used MEC's that are supported with factory parts.

I would get the 16 ga to work even if it meant using parts from the other two.

trapper9260
02-13-2020, 08:47 AM
The primer cup assembly is the same as a Mec for a 600 Jr.

Only reason i know that is I just picked up some Texans myself, and i need the tubes too. Haven't had time to measure them though.

I use some Mec on my loaders also. of the one that is stated .