PDA

View Full Version : How to make a paper patched bullet mold

John Boy
11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_4-4_PaperPatchedBullets.htm
Scroll down to the title ... and make sure you read the other PP information as your scrolling!

scrapcan
11-06-2008, 05:59 PM
The article is by our very own Molly.

longbow
11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I have been making moulds like this for many years and they work quite well. When I made the first one I thought I had invented something but Ideal was making them about 100 + years ago! I guess I was late... again.

Nonetheless as Molly says they can be very useful and are not difficult to make with modest equipment. Also, they can be used for both paper patched boolits and full bore boolits. For full bore boolits, lubing can be done by grease cookie under boolits in straight sided cartridges, they can be knurled then lubed or they can be shot dry over COW filler. I have had success all 3 ways.

Another benefit is that by changing the nose form, different shapes and weights can be made and a pin can easily be added to make a hollow point.

Longbow

357maximum
11-06-2008, 08:56 PM
longbow

where are the pics......gratuitous or otherwise?

longbow
11-07-2008, 02:18 AM
357maximum:

Scroll down to post #9:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18991&highlight=longbow

Longbow

leftiye
11-07-2008, 02:08 PM
You can do virtually the same thing plus have an ogive by grinding a drill to the point shape you like (and sharpening the resulting flutes) and drilling a pair of mold blocks. Probly work best to open up the existing hole with a regular drill almost as large as you need first, then finish it with the formed drill. Just clamp your mold in a vise and center WELL before drilling. Don't move it until you're finished (clamp the vise in place). Works best if you have a centering scope as the hole must be centered on the parting line of the mold halves, but drills do follow existing holes, and if you're real close it's probly gonna work.

arclight
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm guessing that I could also cut the nose into the hole, and then make the "ejector pin" be the meplat of the bullet? This wouldn't be adjustable like the version in the article, but it might be a little simpler.

Arclight

longbow
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
arclight:

I have done that as well for flat nose, hollow point and also for a round nose. For the round nose I put the ejector pin in the mould then finished cutting with the D reamer. The ejector pin was about 5/32" diameter for a .30 cal mould. Turned out quite well.

The advantage of the sliding nose form is that you can adjust boolit weight. The disadvantage is that it has to be a very close fit or it will produce an off center nose.

I usually cut the nose form into a piece of bar then without removing it from the lathe chuck, turn the outside to slightly oversize for the mould cavity then slowly polish it with emery cloth on a flat piece of metal until I can just slide the mould cavity onto the nose form. Then cut the nose form off the bar and finish fitting with ejector rod.

Longbow

357maximum
11-11-2008, 11:46 PM
357maximum:

Scroll down to post #9:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18991&highlight=longbow

longbow

thank you