PDA

View Full Version : Cartridges of the World By Frank C. Barnes, Stan Skinner, 11th Edition

John Boy
11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Google Digitize Online Copy of Cartridges of the World By Frank C. Barnes, Stan Skinner, 11th Edition (http://books.google.com/books?id=UoWa4CeDOccC&pg=PA412&dq=Sporting+Rifle&lr=&sig=ACfU3U3rsAfFZ1fT87KTL5Wbty2XiuyDGg#PPA5,M1)

This is an authoritative reference book of all cartridges ever made ... History - General Comments - Cartridge Dimension Schematics and Loading Data.
The 554 pages can be downloaded to your computer

Dutchman
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
COTW has no sources for the load data it presents. Its unverifiable. The particular data for the 8x58R Danish when used in the Swedish rolling block is extremely excessive and in addition to that it gives incorrect Norma factory data for 8x58R Danish.

Use COTW as an overview of cartridge history but do not use it for load data without verifying what you're doing from another reputable source.

This link to COTW in google books is not a complete book. And its not a free complete book. It is not 554 pages. There are large gaps of pages missing. Its a review of the book, incomplete. Google can't scan and give away copyrighted material. Would be nice, but would be bootlegged copyright violation. All the books google scans and presents in toto are out of copyright, some 100+ years old.

Dutch

missionary5155
11-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I would agree with Dutchman... The Black loads look OK as you could not get any more in anyway... But I think in my older edition( could be the same info) the 44 Russian load with Unique would have been way HOT in a #3 S&W...

1Shirt
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Cartridges of the World is a fantastic publication and a great reference guide to be used in conjunction with other reference manuals. I hunt with Stan Skinner, and he is a gentleman who would I am sure welcome your constructive critizisms. He is the editor of Safari SCI International and can be contacted via the SCI website. It is prudent to consider all publications regarding loads as references. I never try a new powder or load without checking a number of pubs. The individual who only owns one old loading manual is asking for trouble. I always check with at least 3 manuals when working up loads.
1Shirt!:coffee: