PDA

View Full Version : Got an idea...anyone tried paper shreddings as a flux

redhawk0
10-28-2019, 06:46 PM
I got this brilliant idea (seriously subjective) ...but unfortunately it's been since my last smelting.

I thought...I have a paper shredder that seems to always be full. Has anyone ever tried shreds as a flux? I'm not sure how effective it would be since it wouldn't have resins in it like saw-dust. But if it burns down to carbon...it should theoretically work...just not sure how effective. If no one has tried this...I'll try it in the Spring when I fire up the pot again. If it doesn't clean well...I'll just flux with saw-dust afterwards.

redhawk

Dusty Bannister
10-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Paper has various clay substance as well as the ink to deal with. Maybe if used outside.... I would think other things would work better with less risk.

Winger Ed.
10-28-2019, 06:56 PM
If it works, its a good idea, however-

As cheap & easy as it is to get proven stuff for that like sawdust, paraffin, etc. and it works well--
I have quit trying to reinvent the wheel for such simple things.

redhawk0
10-28-2019, 07:06 PM
Yeah...I understand that...just seems a waste to shred all that material then throw it out. Like I said...it was just a thought. I'll try it...but not for awhile.

redhawk

Winger Ed.
10-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Not sure how or if they process it, but up in DC there is a big building that is heated by burning discarded office paper.

If you feel like experimenting around-
The round ball BP folks are always looking for non-petroleum patch lubes.

If you have access to one of those pedigree foo-foo dogs like a poodle,
they have glands under the base of their tail that has to be 'expressed' periodically.

You're supposed to push, squeeze, and mash around back there until this slimy goo comes out.
It smells rather foul, but hey, how much worse can it be than BP smoke?

It might need to be mixed with chicken fat, or the grease that cooks out of a opossum.

If you could figure that one out, and develop a good formula/recipe--- they'd probably be real grateful.:kidding:

Valornor
10-28-2019, 08:56 PM
I’d be interested to see how it works but I suspect it won’t work as well as sawdust.

Sawdust usually has a fairly high moisture content compared to paper, I suspect it’s part of the reason it works so well.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

lightman
10-29-2019, 08:57 AM
I expect that it will work, but probably not as well as sawdust. It will be interesting to hear your results.

robbyPGP2014
10-29-2019, 09:19 AM
This made me think about my last idea. I used some of my wife's old tart warmer wax, it did not work but it counteracted the mothball smell. Younger know until you try it.

Oldfeller
10-29-2019, 09:34 AM
Let's see ...... has the group mind forgotten the use of steam puffed diatomaceous earth as a melt cover and as a carbon source? Added ingot floats on top, and melts slowly trickling down between the grains of diamaceous earth getting completely cleaned and carbon "fluxed" or whatever you guys call it now-a-days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

I read all this stuff about shredding paper and scrounging sawdust and blending to be getting the right resin amount in the sawdust and I really wonder ...... sounds like a smokey mess.

Yeah that steam puffed diatomaceous earth stuff is commonly called by another technical name .... alias the commercial chemical compound called "kitty litter".

It comes in these neat little bags from the grocery store and I can attest it has worked for literally decades for me just dandy. You can get it in various scents and it does not smoke appreciably at all. When it gets all stiff and ugly looking, just scrape it off the top of the congealed cooling lead and replace it with some fresh stuff.

Slugster
10-29-2019, 09:51 AM
I use the sawdust from under my table saw. If I don't have any sawdust (clean shop) I have a large bag of pine shavings from the pet shop. Either way, I find the odor of burning pine to be quite nice. Redneck incense?

mdi
10-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Yes, it will work. Same principle as sawdust, charcoal, and wood chips. Organic material burns, leaves carbon ash which acts as a fluxing media...

trixter
10-29-2019, 12:00 PM
I dip an old candle in the pot and let it sizzle for a couple of seconds then use pine shavings (pretty fine [more like sawdust]). They usually catch fire and leave a nice carbon seal. I stir them in and of course they float back to the top of the melt and preserve the seal.

OS OK
10-29-2019, 12:07 PM
It's going to take a pretty large quantity of that shredded paper to make enough carbon to seal the top of the melt.

Your pot should resemble 'Burning Man' when it ignites...make a video.

redhawk0
10-29-2019, 12:41 PM
I likely will do a video....I have a propane tank pot. 12" diameter and 3" deep gives me about 100 lbs. Like you said...it may take quite a bit of shreds to get enough carbon to clean that much lead. I'll likely have to call the fire department for a permit to burn...hahahahaha

redhawk

OS OK
10-29-2019, 01:10 PM
I keep an old metal trash can with a good snap on lid that keeps the rain out and keep it full of pine and oak sawdust from my table saw.
It's hard to beat good ole sawdust in the 'smelting pot'...but I won't use it in the 'casting pot', in there it's wax only to seal the melt from the air.
Saw dust tends to stick to the sides of the casting pot as it drains and I have found carbon inclusions in my castings when I didn't scrape the casting pot well as I fluxed. So...today I just use the wax.

Stig
10-29-2019, 01:24 PM
I have access to x-ray films with lead backing. The lead has paper glued on to the front and back. If you soak the lead in water for 10 min or so, the paper glides right of. I tried once to melt the lead with the paper backing still on the film. It sort of worked, but the paper/carbon was so thin that it stayed suspended in the lead. I had to stir and skim of ash many many times. I will not try that again. I don't know if the same thing would happen if you just put paper on top of the melt, but after my ordeal with the x-ray films, I will keep paper away from my lead.

Stig

edp2k
10-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Paper has a lot of clay in it and generates a lot of non-carbon ash and residue,
which I believe would cause a big mess and not a lot of fluxing in your smelt pot.

Rapidrob
10-29-2019, 01:54 PM
It sounds like Dental film. Not good for casting at all. The foil is an alloy and has properties that can stick to a mold.

gwpercle
10-29-2019, 05:05 PM
This made me think about my last idea. I used some of my wife's old tart warmer wax, it did not work but it counteracted the mothball smell. Younger know until you try it.

I just got to ask it....what the heck is "Tart Warmer Wax" ...tart warmer wax ? I'm Clueless !

mdi
10-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Thread drift can be really distracting sometimes. The OP has something on hand and asks if it will work. He didn't ask me what I use (and yep, I have tried shredded newspaper). Yes it will work, how effective? You'll have to try it for yourself. Will it burn? Yep, but is that a problem? Not for me.

BTW, I have used "dental foil", but it is so very thin it takes a bagfull to make one 44 cal 250 SWC...

woodbutcher
10-30-2019, 01:02 PM
:D Ya want something that smells nice?Try cedar saw dust/shavings.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

WRideout
10-30-2019, 10:23 PM
I use one partially consumed birthday cake candle per pot of lead in my Lee dipper. Smells like I'm baking a chocolate cake.

Wayne