PDA

View Full Version : Birds in up state NY?

BD
11-06-2008, 12:38 PM
My dog is antsy, and I'm antsy too. I've been over a fair bit of ground here in CNY and only come up with one grouse despite plenty of ideal cover. How far do I need to drive to find some grouse? I've heard Fort Drum holds birds. Anyone familiar with that area?
BD

Bullshop
11-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Its a little bit more of a drive but the Delta Junction area has lots of good bird hunting.
There are healthy populations of rough, spruce, sharp tail, and ptarmigan. Problem is all them dang snowshoe hares can be so distracting when your bird hunting.
BIC/BS

carpetman
11-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I did a google earth search and didnt see any birds at Ft Drum---Bird Colonels only. Guess you'll have to go to Delta Junction,AK area as Bullshop said. Does your dog get antsy on long trips?

carpetman
11-06-2008, 01:45 PM
BD good news you wont have to go to AK for birds afterall. There is a lame duck and do I ever mean lame in Washington DC.

BD
11-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Bullshop, I'm missing home in northern Maine where I can just walk out the door and hunt grouse. My griffon thinks I'm nuts for ever coming back down into the land of paychecks, where the birds are but a memory. My wife thinks varying hare is too tough and was hoping for some cotton tails.
BD

leadeye
11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
A lot of my ground is cut over forest and I was suprised when several people asked if they could hunt grouse on it. I knew nothing about them, only that they were the fast flying birds that fly low through the brush when you spook them. Don't hunt them myself as I don't have a dog. Heard they were good eating.

bruce drake
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
There is a lot of good bird opportunities in the Fort Drum area. I'd invite you up but I'm still in Kuwait for a few more days. See if Bret or some of the other NNYers are on the net tonight can help with specific locations off the Post.

Bruce

missionary5155
11-06-2008, 04:34 PM
There is a lot of good bird opportunities in the Fort Drum area. I'd invite you up but I'm still in Kuwait for a few more days. See if Bret or some of the other NNYers are on the net tonight can help with specific locations off the Post.

Bruce
Hey Trooper Keep the posture low and DO come back.
Mike 71-74 Armor

Bret4207
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
BD- did you check with DEC to see about stocked pheasants? They usually ahve a list of areas where they are relased. As for Pat'rige it's touch and go. I'd find some State land and hunt the edges or maybe some over grown farm land, if the subdivisions have left any. Grouse are an iffy thing anymore with the coyote population and feral cats.

Bruce- You keep safe. I drove by Shorty's the other day. Still open and waiting for the Castboolit reunion!

Bullshop
11-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Wudya mean? Them hares tast just like cotton tail if ya put enough pepper on um.
BIC/BS

BD
11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the offer Bruce. Stay safe.
I'll see what the web can tell me.
BD