PDA

View Full Version : New Dies

Pressman
10-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Digging through a box of dies at a gunshow today I almost passed over these, that is till Mitchell on the end tag caught my eye. Mitchel could only mean Herter's and even though that I didn't recognize the box right away I pulled it out. And did I get a surprise, I thought I had a pretty good handle on most things Herter's. These dies are an exception.
Made for Herter's in 1980 by Hornady, they are Pacific Durachrome dies marked as Herter's dies. Even the box is the same that Hornady was using for the Pacific dies at that time. Herter's folded up in the spring of 1981 making these dies very scarce. Even the catalog pictures do not show them.

6mm - 244 is one of my favorite calibers so that makes the deal sweeter, and they are new, never used. Even better the price was much less than the cost of lunch at McDonald's.

I also added a NIB set of Bonanza (Fairbault) Benchrest dies to the collection.
It was a good day, even though I did not find the dies I went there to get.

Ken

RedlegEd
10-26-2019, 08:47 PM
Ken
Nice score!
Ed

Green Frog
10-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Nice score(s) - I read your post on hand tools as well! I don’t have guns for either of those, but probably would have had to buy one or both (but especially the 41s) given the chance.

Those collector shows can still be a treasure trove for undervalued classic loading tools if you know what you’re looking for and are willing to dig. Over the decades I’ve done well in MD, PA, and OH as well as my home state of VA finding oddities... generally the more odd the better the price!

Froggie

Pressman
10-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Mr. Frog Person, Sir. I could/would have a gun in 41 S&W if I could find another cylinder for the revolver I have with a 41 caliber barrel on it.

Bazoo
10-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to know.

Green Frog
10-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Or you could get a relatively common 38 Spl cylinder for it and have someone like Andy Horvath rebore it for you.

Your Phriend the Phrog

Pressman
10-29-2019, 02:09 PM
Good idea 'cept if I could find a 38/357 cylinder it would go in the other revolver and make it a convertible.

So, I need two cylinders. Or buy more revolvers.