PDA

View Full Version : ......Oh Yippee! I get to shoot a 340 Weatherby next Tuesday

Buckshot
04-02-2005, 06:20 AM
............One of my daughter's co-workers (she describes as an 'oldster') has a 340 Weatherby built on a P17 Eddystone action. It's scoped so only part of the markings were visible but it's an Eddystone for sure. She called me at work and said this guy wanted me to check it out, as a friend of his had given it to him and he didn't want to blow his head off :lol:. Well! That's just great, let my dad have it so he can blow HIS head off with it. I can hear her now.

The barrel is like a truck axle and appears ot be about 26" long. All the metal work is 1st class. The barrel is very proffessionally stamped .340 Wthby Mag, and then the gunsmith's name, which seems familiar somehow. Not a recently done rifle. The stock is a real nice piece of walnut, but the forend appears to have been originally for a barrel a bit smaller around. The forend kind of slopes down a bit as it goes down the barrel's length. The underside of the forend is normally shaped but that mild downslope along the barrel just makes it seem a bit 'un-right' looking. At the forend tip it's about as wide as the barrel.

Christian (my daughter) had told me at first that she was told it was a Springfield action, and I just couldn't figure out how they'd get a 340 Weatherby to load and feed. Plus I have my own feelings about a suitable cartridge for a Springfield, and the 340 Weatherby isn't one of'em.

So as mentioned it's an Eddystone Enfield and not a Springfield. I don't have magnaflux gear so all I can do is the gasoline test, and a rudimentary headspace check. The barrel has some visible copper fouling so it's been shot, and I have to assume with 340 Weatherby ammo :idea:. All in all it appears to be 1st class work (other then the forend) and the gunsmith was proud enough to put his name on it.

I've never shot a 340 Weatherby, but I do have a lasting impression of a 460 Weatherby I did shoot ........... once, and I'll most likely never shoot a 340 again! The rifle has a cheap Bushnell scope on it that looks new. I told Christian to tell her co-worker I am NOT responsible for the condition the scope is returned in, as it may rattle a bit.

...............Buckshot

JDL
04-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey Buckshot,
Got any .338" cast boolits? Wouldn't hurt near as bad :lol: !-JDL

Buckshot
04-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Hey Buckshot,
Got any .338" cast boolits? Wouldn't hurt near as bad :lol: !-JDL

................Nope, all I have is one box of factory 340 Weatherby. I DO have some 205gr .338" cast boolits though! But heck, no dies or nuthin. I'll check it out, fire it and give it back and tell the guy to have a blast!

.................Buckshot

Ed Barrett
04-04-2005, 01:42 AM
I have a '17 Enfield in 300 Weatherby and a few of the factory Spec. rounds are enough for one session, unless you have a masacist (sp) friend that wants to look macho. With a full case of 5010 and a 220 grain cast bullet it become a real nice shooter and is very accurate. I picked it up on a trade and was going to rebarrel it until I shot it with cast. I still may rebarrel it one of these days.

Buckshot
04-04-2005, 04:10 AM
.............Ed, forgot to say thanks for the sample patching paper. I haven't tried any of it yet. Haven't patched up any slugs for many a month.

.......................Buckshot

Ed Barrett
04-05-2005, 01:03 AM
.............Ed, forgot to say thanks for the sample patching paper. I haven't tried any of it yet. Haven't patched up any slugs for many a month.

.......................Buckshot
I have been trying several loads of .45 patched bullets from that mold, also using some cast hard in a .454 Casull rifle and .45 colt unpatched. If I ever get caught up on honeydos around the house I'm going to get some more 45/70 patched testing done.

Buckshot
04-06-2005, 04:59 AM
.............Well I skated out of that ordeal. The action is cracked! It's an Eddystone. I heaved a big sigh of relief. Called the daughter at work this evening and come to find out, she was talking to the guy who owned it. I said to tell him it's a boat anchor.

I offered to pay him $50 for the parts as I have that other M1917 stripped barreled action with the ears milled off, and he said you can keep it. Well gee! I will give the thing back to Christian to give to him after I strip off everything I need. Guess I made out there, eh?

..............Buckshot

350mag
04-06-2005, 06:20 PM
So Buckshot, Now I guess we get to hear another story and see some more pictures of another really cool gun that you pieced together from a bunch of free parts that somebody begged you to take off their hands. Some people get all the luck. Well, I have found a few good deals on busted guns out here in the village, but nothing lke you have come up with. Keep up the good work and let us know how this one turns out.
Ken

Buckshot
04-06-2005, 06:23 PM
So Buckshot, Now I guess we get to hear another story and see some more pictures of another really cool gun that you pieced together from a bunch of free parts that somebody begged you to take off their hands. Some people get all the luck. Well, I have found a few good deals on busted guns out here in the village, but nothing lke you have come up with. Keep up the good work and let us know how this one turns out.
Ken

.............I know. Doncha just HATE when that happens?

...........Buckshot

StarMetal
04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Buckshot

Can I come out to CA, oh sorry PRC, and pat your head and rub your tummy? Maybe some of that disgusting luck you have will rub off on me. hahahaha. Boy I tell you, guns drop from the heavens into your lap.

Joe

StarMetal
04-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Buckboard,,,errr I mean Buckshot

Exactly where did that reciever crack...at the front threaded portion?

Joe

45nut
04-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I would be interested in any parts left over as well,,barrel included,,,i still have a few actions lookin for jobs.

Buckshot
04-07-2005, 05:28 AM
Buckboard,,,errr I mean Buckshot

Exactly where did that reciever crack...at the front threaded portion?

Joe

................Joe, it cracked right where Eddystone Enfields are supposed to crack, right there where the barrel screws in. Front of the ring. If you were holding the rifle as to shot it, it would be at 10 o'clock. About 3/4" long. I told the guy that most the strength is in the barrel, and since the bore was copper fouled it HAD been shot and he might get away with shooting it for some time. However, I wasn't going to be test firing it. He said, naw you can have it. I'll strip off the Simmons scope and mounts for him.

He said I could burn the stock in my fireplace, but it's a nice piece of walnut so I'll save it for something I need a small bit of walnut for. It has the straightened bottom metal and it's all polished and nicely blued. HA! I'll put that with the skanky old parkerized reciever I have. Since the boltface has been opened, I wonder how a 375 Winchester would be?

Ken, I told him I'd give him the stripped barreled reciever back but he said he didn't want it as it was no good. I guess you can have the barrel. It's a honker! No sights. I'll have to remember to toss it in the Jetta or Passat or whatever yuppie mobile we're taking to Winnemucca. I'm afraid the rest of the useable parts are spoken for, heh, heh! Yeah, you REALLY NEED a 340 Weatherby! Poor guy bought 3 boxes of ammo at $50+ each and you can't return ammo!.

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
04-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Buckshot--

Um.......we're taking the Cabrio to Cedarville and Winnemucca? We gotta talk on Tuesday, sir.

I for one am NOT going to be seen in northern Nevada in a gold VW convertible in the company of a guy who claims to cast boolits in campaign hat, jockstrap, and huaraches. Not gonna happen.

Buckshot
04-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Buckshot--

Um.......we're taking the Cabrio to Cedarville and Winnemucca? We gotta talk on Tuesday, sir.

I for one am NOT going to be seen in northern Nevada in a gold VW convertible in the company of a guy who claims to cast boolits in campaign hat, jockstrap, and huaraches. Not gonna happen.

Allan, I won't be casting so I won't be wearing any of that stuff. However to fit the image of the Cabriolet with the top down, I was thinking tasseled loafers, a pink Izod polo shirt, khaki chino's and maybe an ascot. What do ya think?

BTW, I won't be at the range Tuesday. Heading over to the folk's in Arizona. Will be back Friday.

.................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
04-11-2005, 12:47 AM
I think

1) We'll take the truck and

2) You'll make some wardrobe adjustments before entering same.

If Donna saw you dressed like that, she'd use the Taurus on you. Maybe both of them, the Ford and the 38 Super.