PDA

View Full Version : Three 6.5 boolits.. one rifle

frkelly74
10-25-2019, 10:33 AM
These are my boolits. The one on the right is from a Lee custon single cavity I used to have and casts at about 138 gr including the gas check. I sold this mold but had cast up quite a few of the boolits before that. the center boolit is the venerable old 266469 Lyman boolit at about 145 gr it is also from a mold that I sold at some point. Both of these molds I sold only because they were single cavity, foolish! The fat one on the left is from a 6 cavity mold I got from someone because it was 6 cavity. It weighs a little less than 140 gr and is cylindrical with no taperand is somewhat tricky to load to make a round that will chamber.

This is My rifle. It is a swede 94 that was altered when it was imported by adding a sleeve to the muzzle to increase the barrel length to the then, at that time, legal minimum of 18". The sights were also added and are quite functional and simple and quick to use.

Here are some loaded rounds. I used the 10 gr of unique load and some old remington large rifle primers. The brass is from my accumulation of odd stuff, some being 7mm, some 257 rob and some 6mm rem, sized and trimmed so as to chamber properly. I have used 30/06 and 270 also but tend to get wrinkles at the neck and early split necks. I know I can go to the store and buy 6.5X55 brass but I have all this other brass laying around and so I use it. And besides where is the fun in just buying the correct brass, You might as well just buy loaded ammo.

So , I loaded up all my accumulated brass and headed to the range. I go in the morning and have it all to myself usually, unless it Wednesday which is the day that the State Police do some training then it is quite noisey. One of the reasons I go to the range is for the peace and quiet I find there. I set up two target stands with 4 targets on each stand and have a blast, literally. I found that not all the Fat boolits would chamber easily and did have one round that would not chamber and managed to pull the bullet and dump the powder upon extraction. But the ones that did chamber produced nice groups. The other two boolit loads also produced nice groups and did not have the hard chambering issues. I have no evidence of the grouping, I did not think to take pictures, next time perhaps. The 10 gr unique load seemed to be quite potent, all the boolits penetrated the berm so that I only recovered one of them. I like to see what terminal effect there is and I infer that there is plenty of penetration at least. I do not remember having any chambering issues in the 6.5 jap sporter when I shot that a while back. I will have to revisit that trial sometime.

Bookworm
10-26-2019, 04:16 PM
Nice rifle.

I picked up an M96 Swede awhile ago, haven't yet fired it. I need to load up some of those 10gr loads and go try it out.

I don't have Unique, but I do have Universal. I'll try it with that.

frkelly74
10-26-2019, 10:39 PM
I will be transferring to the use of Herco soon as my supply of Unique is dwindling and I have a new 8 lb jug of the Herco.

AntiqueSledMan
10-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Gentlemen,

I picked up one back when the imports were all over. I had it reworked, cut & welded the bolt for scope application, cut the threaded portion off muzzle & had it crowned, and finally dropped it in a composite stock. When I run into other hunters in the woods, nobody can believe it was built in 1902.
I have never shot cast bullets in it, but it's a tack driver with 130 gr. spritzers. I love it & carry it the most.

AntiqueSledMan.