PDA

View Full Version : Summer sausage.

wire nut
11-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Any one know how to make summer sausage at home. Lokking for recipe and directions to make

Bodydoc447
11-05-2008, 10:46 PM
The sausage maker up in NY. Rytek Kutas wrote a good book and the company (he has since passed on) sells his books, equipment and spice and seasonings. I have his book and have used the summer sausage recipe for venison and elk every fall for the past decade or so. My dad got tired of making sausage and so brings me an ice chest of meat when he visits with a request for summer sausage, pepper sticks and brats. Here is the summer sausage recipe from the book:

Ingredients for 25 lbs. Ingredients for 10 lbs.

1 oz. ground black pepper 1 tbs ground black pepper
8 ozs. Salt 6 tbs salt
2 oz powdered dextrose 4 tbs powdered dextrose
1 oz Prague powder #1 2 level tsp Prague Powder #1
¼ oz. ground coriander 1 tbs ground coriander
¼ oz. ground ginger 1 tsp ground ginger
¼ oz ground mustard 1 tsp ground mustard
¼ oz garlic powder 1 tsp garlic powder
3 ozs. Corn syrup solids 6 tbs corn syrup solids
20 lbs lean venison or elk 8 lbs lean venison or elk
5 lbs regular pork trimmings 2 lbs. regular pork trimmings
14 oz Fermento 6 oz. Fermento

Grinding
Be sure meat has been chilled. Grind all meat through a 3/16 inch grinder plate. The pork fat should be ground through a 1 inch plate or cut into 1 inch cubes. Place all meat and fat trimmings into mixer and add all the ingredients. Mix well to distribute all the spices evenly. After mixing, pack into curing tubs and hold in the cooler for 2 days. Then regrind meat through a 3/16 inch plate.

Stuffing
Pack meat tightly into a stuffer or omit air pockets. Summer sausage should be stuffed into 2 ½ to 2 ¾ inch by 24 inch beef middles or fibrous casings (3 ½ x 24 inch).

Smoking & Cooking
After stuffing, hang on smokesticks and dry at room temperature for 4-5 hours. Place in smokehouse preheated to 120-130 degrees. Apply a heavy smudge and smoke at this temperature for 3-4 hours or until desired color is obtained.

Raise temperature to 165 degrees and cook until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. After cooking, shower with cold water until internal temperature is at least 120 degrees. After shower, allow to hang at room temperature for 1-2 hours until the desired bloom is obtained. Keep out of drafts. Place in 45 degree cooler for at least 24 hours.

Of course, they also sell a kit with all the seasonings and casings for 25 lbs of meat. I have done both and either makes good summer sausage. Cabelas, Bass Pro and Gander Mt. stores all sell sausage making kits. I have not tried many of them as I have always had good luck wth the Sausage Maker seasonings and even their kits.

Good stuff for happy hour or sandwiches.

Best of luck,
Doc