PDA

View Full Version : Oil lamp wick

Bazoo
10-16-2019, 06:04 PM
I have several lamps that I use occasionally and I need new wicks for a couple. Can anyone suggest a good place to purchase them? Anything in particular to look for in a wick?

Thanks for the direction. Bazoo

Mytmousemalibu
10-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Miles Stair's Wick Shop.

Ive bought quite a few heater wicks and other wick burning product accessories from him. Good guy, sells only the best products he can.

Winger Ed.
10-16-2019, 06:41 PM
I've gotten a few over the years at the local hardware store for about a buck or two.
The ones here still sell the kerosene lamps and indoor use oil for them too.

rancher1913
10-16-2019, 09:53 PM
lamans

Tom W.
10-16-2019, 10:57 PM
Walmart.. for the decorative oil lamps and fragrant oils, too.

But it's been a while since I bought any.

Bazoo
10-17-2019, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I seen the ones at Walmart, but they don't fit all my lamps. I didn't think about ace.

varmintpopper
10-17-2019, 02:11 AM
Try This :

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Lamp+Wick&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Good Shooting

Lindy

wrench
10-17-2019, 10:21 AM
https://www.lanternnet.com/

I've bought some stuff from these guys, they seem good to go. Very prompt shipping and good service.

dbosman
10-18-2019, 08:15 PM
https://www.lehmans.com/search?w=wicks

jonp
10-18-2019, 09:04 PM
Lehmans. Just bought my 4th oil lamp from them.

Chihuahua Floyd
10-20-2019, 01:18 PM
I'll be buying a couple of lamps and some oil this week. Standard wedding present from us for over 35 years.
Something young people don't think about til some night there is no power.
Local hardware store has everything. Wal-Mart does too but buy local and all that and it's the hardware store.
CF

SSGOldfart
10-20-2019, 01:30 PM
Hobby lobby;-)

Bazoo
10-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm a young persons by most of y'all's standards, but I have always had a thing for oil lamps and thought ahead.

redhawk0
10-20-2019, 08:24 PM
I've rebuilt quite a few RR lamps down through the years...I just purchase the right width wick off ebay. They've been just fine.

redhawk

Petrol & Powder
10-20-2019, 09:54 PM
For a flat wick, there's not too much to it. Basically just need to match the width. Most halfway decent hardware stores still carry a good selection of flat wicks. If not, there are plenty of on-line sources. Always a buy a spare !

For some of the specialized wicks, like the Aladdin, you need to get the exact replacement.

Remember to let the new wick soak up the kerosene before trying to light it the first time. I like to wait at least an hour after installing a new wick and filling the tank before attempting to light it.

country gent
10-21-2019, 12:11 AM
Mom, would replace the wicks on lamps and let them sit full of kerosene / lamp oil for several hours to make sure they were ready to go when needed. I bought a couple barn style lanterns from the local walmarts years ago the seams in the tanks leaked so bad they were unusable. In the winter with out power these lamps not only give off a nice light but also a lot of heat into a room. A couple of these lamps would light a room and keep it warmer than a lot expect.

Winger Ed.
10-21-2019, 12:23 AM
I bought a couple barn style lanterns from the local walmarts years ago the seams in the tanks leaked so bad.

I have a couple of those Chinese ones from Wal-Mart. I soon realized why they were so cheap.

Over the years I've snagged 4 of the old school American made gold miner's lamps from the cowboy days made by Deitz.
They are still in production with the same stamping molds from the 1840's or so.

They cost more than the Chinese ones, but they work smoother, all parts are available, and will last longer than we will.
I've phased out a couple of gasoline fired Coleman lanterns and for a couple reasons, use them instead.

Thin Man
10-21-2019, 07:05 AM
For new lamps I recently bought a pair from Lehman's as they also offer a generous choice of wicks, globes, caps and other parts. Some of the reviews about the lamps I bought included notice of occasional leaks (yup, China product) mostly with the filler cap not making a liquid proof seal and occasionally at the seams The suggestion was to fill the lamp base about 1/2 full and watch for seam leaks. If seam leaks were found, a short note to the seller got a free replacement soon. Other than that don't fill the reservoir too full toward the top and all should be well.

bob208
10-21-2019, 08:07 AM
hardware store is where I have them get mine if you have a lowes or home depot they would .