PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas' BS

Mr Peabody
10-11-2019, 09:33 AM
I bought 2 boxes of rifle ammunition at Cabelas' last week; The clerk asked me for my date of birth. I asked her what do you need my dob for? She tells me they always ask that. LIAR. I won't play that game with any store.

Minerat
10-11-2019, 10:08 AM
10/4/15 I'm 66 let them figure it out.

ShooterAZ
10-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Sportsman's Warehouse here does the same thing. I think when they scan ammo items at the register, it automatically gives them a prompt to ask for DOB.

MrWolf
10-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Anyone that asks for my birthdate gets April 1st. Pick a year.

trapper9260
10-11-2019, 11:42 AM
The thing I find funny when a place ask if the ammo is for rifle or handgun. I just tell them it is for rifle. When it is handgun ammo.

osteodoc08
10-11-2019, 11:44 AM
I just make up a birth date. Feb 30 is always a good one.

joe leadslinger
10-11-2019, 12:04 PM
If my gray hair doesn't prove I'm of age then maybe the wrinkles will ;) I don't answer dumb questions.

LUBEDUDE
10-11-2019, 12:32 PM
As far as the birthday question, it’s for stooopid airhead cashiers. The cash register has to figure out if the buyer is over 18/21 or not. Just like it has to figure out the change. Heaven forbid the cashier had to use their brain.

Walks
10-11-2019, 01:04 PM
During the 18yrs from 1968 to 1986 that the FFL dealers had to keep an ammo register, you could buy .44Mag & .357Mag if you said it was for a rifle.
Handgun ammo Purchasers had to be over 21yrs old.
Same for .22 Rimfire.

Or maybe the Retailers are just doing the Survey thing.

bosterr
10-11-2019, 01:08 PM
I'm 68 and could pass for 18.

Bazoo
10-11-2019, 02:03 PM
While I don't care for giving my DOB I usually just do it and leave with my ammo. I have, when on an ornery streak held up my CCDW license in response. That sometimes has went without further questions and sometimes not.

RogerDat
10-11-2019, 02:59 PM
We make a law requiring a certain age to purchase or enter certain establishments then we can't really fault the businesses for taking steps to comply with those laws. I give the real year and January 1st as the date. They just need to be able to show that they do act to comply with laws on selling ammunition.

At campus area stores that sell booze it isn't uncommon for them to swipe drivers license for 100% of the customers. The store has to have a policy that the cashiers do a 100% check because a mistake by a clerk could create a huge legal issue for the store. I would often joke when asked for ID and say I don't think I have my drivers license but what about pictures of the grandkids as proof I'm over 21. It is said with a smile, I'm pretty darn gray, well past salt and pepper and into slightly dirty snow so the clerk knows I'm of age, yet they still have to ask and I see no reason to give them grief for it.

I'm sure we all recognize guns and ammo should be treated as serious items, while the laws on purchasing ammo may or may not be 100% something we see as good or effective or in a positive light we do want firearms and ammo sellers to be law abiding so no reason to give them any hassle that I can see.

Give them a reasonable year and a date and go on your way. Or show your ID. Or shop elsewhere. I know a small gun shop that never cards me for powder or ammo. On the other hand have been doing business with the owner for enough years I think if I had been born the day we met I would be old enough for pistol ammo purchase by now. If he thinks your under age I'm sure he would ask for ID. However he owns the shop and he is the clerk, his butt on the line so how he covers it is his choice. Chain store has to have a policy, and enforce it across the board to address the same issue.

white eagle
10-11-2019, 03:18 PM
07/04/1776
been asked many times
I always say how kind they are for asking for my I.D.

Bookworm
10-11-2019, 07:55 PM
I just make up a date. No big deal.

When they ask for a phone number, it's always 362-4368.

Even had one cashier continue the song with ' ...I lead a life of crime...'

For those that don't know, it from AC\DC. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

poppy42
10-11-2019, 08:18 PM
I just tell Them it was so long ago I don’t remember!

Handloader109
10-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Cabelas here has done it since they opened...
Bass pro has continued the practice. no biggy... I've a grocery chain that wants to scan my DL.(arkansas license has barcode on back)
they do it for everyone.
just give them a date.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mr Peabody
10-12-2019, 09:44 AM
I just tell Them it was so long ago I don’t remember!

I like that!

elmacgyver0
10-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Try giving them a date 200 years in the past or 200 years in the future.
If they ask about the future date tell them you are a time traveler.
If they ask about the past date tell them you are a vampire.

Smoke4320
10-12-2019, 11:32 AM
I always say which lifetime.. Get some strange looks and some laughs
in India I told them I was once a fly but it didn't last long

Petrol & Powder
10-12-2019, 02:58 PM
RogerDat has the correct approach. It generally isn't the clerk's policy, it's the clerk complying with his/hers' employer's policy.

I'm way over 21 and just make up a date when someone asks.
I get annoyed when I'm buying something like windshield washer fluid or Wasp spray and some clerk asks for my D.O.B. Tractor supply is the worst offender. I try not to be a jerk to the clerk that's just doing their job but I make it a point to tell them that I'm not planning on drinking the stuff.

As for ammunition, most gun stores and gun show vendors will just look at you and make an age determination. It's the big corporate retailers that are incapable of trusting their employees to do the right thing. I'm sure they're fearful of some liberal social justice crusader with a hidden camera catching them selling ammunition to a 17 year old.

Wayne Smith
10-12-2019, 04:46 PM
I just received two boxes of 25-06 ammo ordered online from Cabelas. Course, they already have all my information. No hassle and no charge since I have the credit card.

flyingmonkey35
10-12-2019, 05:15 PM
I'm in utah. The state has some wierd laws o the books and I know them as I really do read law books.

Alcohol you need to be 21. But if you look older the 35 you do not need to be asked for id.

However if the store/bar/redturant uses the real I'd system they will ask for it every time.

Now I do not trust a system that tracks me buying alcohol at all. Or tracks me period.
If the try to take me I'd to scan it I ask for soda instead.

Or I leave.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BigAlofPa.
10-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Walmart ask to see my ID.

facetious
10-14-2019, 03:14 AM
Was at our local kroger one day with the wife getting food and stuff and got some beer, when we were checking out the kid checking us out (who wasn't old enough to put the beer in the bag or ring it up) asked for some ID so I gave it to him but then said he had to see my wifes too but she didn't have it with her so I couldn't buy it ether. So I told him to ring up the food and she could take that and then ring the beer up and I would take it. Said he couldn't do that becouse when we got out side I could just give it to her. By this time I'm starting to have fun with him my wife went off to the side with the food and cart. She is starting to laugh, about that time the manager asked her what was going on so she told her . The manager came over and I though she was going to slap the kid up side the head (but didn't) and told him to ring it up and she put it in the cart. As we were leaveing we could hear her asking how old he tough we were . I'm 62 my wife is 63 . Pretty good , all most got 86'ed from the store by a kid who can't stay out after 11:00:drinks:.

The manager did come and apologise and we told her to forget it, figured he had just had some new training and was trying to do a good job.

mtnbkr
10-14-2019, 05:14 AM
Was at our local kroger one day with the wife getting food and stuff and got some beer, when we were checking out the kid checking us out (who wasn't old enough to put the beer in the bag or ring it up) asked for some ID so I gave it to him but then said he had to see my wifes too but she didn't have it with her so I couldn't buy it ether. So I told him to ring up the food and she could take that and then ring the beer up and I would take it. Said he couldn't do that becouse when we got out side I could just give it to her. By this time I'm starting to have fun with him my wife went off to the side with the food and cart. She is starting to laugh, about that time the manager asked her what was going on so she told her . The manager came over and I though she was going to slap the kid up side the head (but didn't) and told him to ring it up and she put it in the cart. As we were leaveing we could hear her asking how old he tough we were . I'm 62 my wife is 63 . Pretty good , all most got 86'ed from the store by a kid who can't stay out after 11:00:drinks:.

The manager did come and apologise and we told her to forget it, figured he had just had some new training and was trying to do a good job.

I worked at Kroger in HS and some in college (this was nearly 30 years ago). What the cashier was doing was part of my training back then.

Chris

Thin Man
10-14-2019, 05:49 AM
Ask my age? Nope, ask for my ID. Please, card me! It has been so long since I have been "carded" I need the thrill to think I look younger than the 72 I am now.

Larry Gibson
10-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Have to show ID and/or give age to buy ammo but not to vote in federal election.........what a country.......

lightman
10-14-2019, 09:40 AM
I guess that would not bother me much. I hardly ever buy factory ammo and then its usually 22 rimfire. I occasionally get carded when we go to a bar or brewery for drinks. I just laugh and show them my DL. I'm 62 and my beard and mustache are gray! Its a law or a rule, so I just comply.

Larry has a good point about voting!

country gent
10-14-2019, 10:20 PM
I bought a Red Ryder bb gun for the grandsons Christmas present one year at wallmarts, not only had to show ID but a 4473 form on it as well.

MrWolf
10-15-2019, 11:45 AM
That BB gun in NJ would require a current Firearm Identification card to buy. I had to do that almost 40 years ago when I bought on for my brother. In NJ a slingshot is considered a weapon of mass destruction and are illegal.

marek313
10-15-2019, 02:52 PM
That BB gun in NJ would require a current Firearm Identification card to buy. I had to do that almost 40 years ago when I bought on for my brother. In NJ a slingshot is considered a weapon of mass destruction and are illegal.

I think we are just a step away from requiring a background check for a butter knife but dont worry Murphy will replace that nice ar15 with a joint so its all good ....... NOT :violin:

tja6435
10-17-2019, 09:59 AM
I just decline when Cabela’s asks for a phone number. And I always make up a birthday when asked, half the time I suggest they make up a birthdate as I’m going to anyway. They never argue with me about it.

David2011
10-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Tractor Supply wanted my ID to buy a Red Rider, not required by state law. I told the clerk that it wasn’t required by state or Federal law and I would buy it from someone that went by the laws.

rfd
10-17-2019, 07:07 PM
not my problem, i build all my cartridges :mrgreen: ... and i have enuf rimfire to last the end of this century :twisted:

Duckiller
10-19-2019, 11:50 PM
Wait til you try to buy ammo in Calif and you haven't bought a firearm in the last 6 years. Not only is it fun it is also expensive.

ThomR
10-20-2019, 01:03 AM
When I worked in a gun store and rang up ammo it would ask for the birth date. If I could tell the person was clearly old enough to be buying ammo I didn't ask and just entered a random date.

Big Tom
10-20-2019, 09:11 AM
When Walmart asked me to see my ID for buying a can of Brake Cleaner and refused to sell it to me because I did not have an ID to show them - am 55 years young and don't look a day younger :-( - I stopped spending my money there.

It was "their policy", nothing in the local law drives that, same for ammo. It was the last time I shopped at Walmart and I will stop shopping at any other store that requires me to show my ID just because they want it/the data on it.

rfd
10-20-2019, 09:34 AM
years ago, radio shack had this thing about asking for, no, *demanding* your full address and phone number every time you bought *anything*.

jaysouth
10-20-2019, 09:40 AM
I'm in utah. The state has some wierd laws o the books and I know them as I really do read law books.

Alcohol you need to be 21. But if you look older the 35 you do not need to be asked for id.

However if the store/bar/redturant uses the real I'd system they will ask for it every time.

Now I do not trust a system that tracks me buying alcohol at all. Or tracks me period.
If the try to take me I'd to scan it I ask for soda instead.

Or I leave.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a passport card which I always present. It does not have an address on it and cannot be used to track me, my movements and buying habits. I once had a 300 pound ebonics sow inform me that it was not valid ID. I got an apology from the manager after raising a ruckus.

jaysouth
10-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Have to show ID and/or give age to buy ammo but not to vote in federal election.........what a country.......

Larry,

I might add, the mexican does not provide just "ID", he must provide a voter's ID card issued by the national government which has his photo on it.

Three44s
10-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Larry,

I might add, the mexican does not provide just "ID", he must provide a voter's ID card issued by the national government which has his photo on it.

Well, the least we ought to require is they show their Mex ID here when they vote in the US? Lol!

Three44s

Three44s
10-20-2019, 10:08 AM
I am also with Roger Dat on this issue.

I have no warm thought about Cabelas, but it’s not in regards to asking my DOB.

Three44s

bbogue1
11-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Many times their reward program asks for your dob as a identity confirmation. Usually it is store policy. The clerk just needs an answer to provide data the register needs to proceed with the transaction. I am so old I can't find the color of my hair, I must have lost it. Obviously with white hair (at least I have some) I must be OOOOLD.

bob208
11-03-2019, 07:57 PM
I cast reload. have not bought factory ammo in 20 years or more. except .22 rimfire.

poppy42
11-03-2019, 08:53 PM
I'm 68 and could pass for 18.

Now that’s funny!!

poppy42
11-03-2019, 08:55 PM
When someone asks me for my dob, I just tell em it was so long ago I can’t remember it!