PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Minnesota Whitetail Deer Migration Study 2018-2019

JBinMN
10-10-2019, 07:35 PM
{ Not sure if this is the correct place to post this topic. Please move where it belongs if this is not the correct forum.}

I just rec'd an email about Whitetail Deer hunting in MN for 2019 from the MnDNR, & in it there was a link to this study about White Tail Deer Migration & I found it very interesting.

From what I have understood for years, most Whitetail deer of both sexes usually remain in an approx. 25 Sq. Mile area(Approx. 5 miles X 5 miles) for most of their adult life.

While that may still be a true possibility for adults, this study shows that a lot of young deer of both sexes travel much more than was previously considered to be the normal.

In one example, there was one doe that traveled 77+/- miles in one year. I found that to be quite extraordinary because of my thinking they did not migrate too much at any age, let alone younger deer.

Here is a link to the whole study with a break down of more specifics for those who are interested in such things:
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cwd/deer-movement-study.html?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

There is a map to that example I mentioned above,( Deer #111), of the doe which moved from the lower S.E. corner of MN up to the upper area of S.E. Mn. (77+/- miles) to near where I live. ( You will have to select Deer #111 of the tabs of choices to see each one) in the Movement Maps" choice in the link above this paragraph.

It is a compiled selection { Movement Maps is the choice to see Deer #111 & the other deer movements} to choose at the link choices down the page of the study, which allows folks to look at the aggregate migrations from 2018 to 2019 as well as some of the particular deer movements that were extra ordinary:
https://images.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/research/health/studies/se_deer_movement/deer_in_study.jpg

There are other choices to look at as well, if one wants to get more info on the subject.

I found this to be very interesting & thought that even those in other states than MN, might find it interesting as well...

lefty o
10-10-2019, 07:58 PM
charles alsheimer had written many interesting articles, and books on deer. if i recall, most deer do stay in a relatively small area, due to food, predation, etc some never leave a 40 acre plot, while most do tend to stay within a few square miles. ive seen studies that shown some roam much further. usually bucks and the ones that roam tend to not go more than 25-30 miles. always interesting to see stuff the disproves what we all know.