PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Handgun Ammo

Ickisrulz
10-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Has handgun ammo disappeared from your Walmart yet?

I looked this morning and found all kinds of handgun ammo as well as .223 and 7.62x39 on the shelves.

Do you suppose they had enough ammo in inventory to still have it stocked after claiming they will no longer sell it over a month ago?

kungfustyle
10-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Could be that people that buy that stuff, just aren't shopping there anymore. If I can find what I need elsewhere, I will same goes for Amazon.

Jake McCracken
10-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Ya, the evil 5.56 and 223 are still on the shelves at my Walmart. They even have a couple 500rnd bulk packs.

They also still have pistol ammo and 7.62x39. Amazing how they are so quick to open their mouths, but will wait til they sell off inventory before they take it off the shelves. Lol

Not that I like Dicks at all, but at least they followed thru and stood by their misguided principles. Walmart seems to want the attention without the profit loss. Aka all talk no real principals!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ickisrulz
10-10-2019, 10:37 AM
I am wondering if they quietly changed their minds.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-10-2019, 10:48 AM
I know one of the ladies that work at the ammo counter she told me that they were getting more 9mm ammo in and have a lot of 223 and 556 and 9mm in stock now. I wounder if they have a lot of ammo in stock or running a contract out

JBinMN
10-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Maybe they ticked off enough firearms owners that the firearms owners decided not to shop there for ammo any longer. ( Side effect is those same folks may not shop there for anything else, as well.)

I may be stopping in there just to look, in the next day or so. Not that I need any ammo, but to see what they have & what their prices are now. Right now they are the only supplier that I know of, for the medicine my old Choc Lab takes for his joints. I just ran out day before yesterday & need some more for him. I am going to go now & see if I can find a source other than there.

bob208
10-10-2019, 11:26 AM
don't know I have not been in a Wal-Mart in years. have not bought any factory ammo in the last ten years. I cast and load.

JoeJames
10-10-2019, 11:37 AM
don't know I have not been in a Wal-Mart in years. have not bought any factory ammo in the last ten years. I cast and load.Same here except for 22 LR.

DougGuy
10-10-2019, 11:41 AM
I am doing my part with the boycott, not that they will ever notice but principles are principles. I have gotten 2 prescriptions filled, and the same visit I bought as much 300 AAC as I could afford. Really couldn't afford to get the scripts filled elsewhere and I don't run cast in my AR. Everything else I have bought at other stores besides walmart and will continue to do so.

kerplode
10-10-2019, 12:10 PM
The store closest to me was pretty well stocked with handgun and 5.56 ammo the last couple times I was there. I asked the counter guy about it and he told me that they have enough inventory already in their distribution system to last until at least Thanksgiving, but they'll probably start marking stuff down in Dec to get rid of whatever is left.

RU shooter
10-10-2019, 12:33 PM
The 9mm ammo was all gone at ours the other calibers seemed about the same as normal

RogerDat
10-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Some of that stuff is dual use. There are 9mm carbines, and .223 is also fairly common in bolt action use. They don't use as much as an auto loader mind you but it is a common caliber for bolt guns. Same for .22 rim fire, it is pistol or rifle ammo.

Auto counter and firearms are same location in local store. While there for auto work I know I saw good amount of .223 and .22 rim fire in stock. Aside from the .22 being well stocked and more expensive than in years past I couldn't compare stock on hand to past levels. Like the previous poster said, I make most of mine. Other than .22 rim fire and some shotgun haven't bought at the store in years. I don't recall seeing any 38/357 but they did have lever action rifle in those calibers so it wouldn't surprise me if they had the ammo too.

Rifle pickings were pretty slim but still there. Lever guns, bolt guns, pump shotguns all had at least an item or two. Seems like the lever guns were the most prevalent.

Froogal
10-10-2019, 01:04 PM
I gave up buying ammo at WalMart several years ago. Always plenty of ammo on the shelves, but never anyone in that department to unlock the cabinet.

Driver33
10-10-2019, 02:52 PM
I haven't spent a dime at Walmart since there announcement. I can get what I need elsewhere.

woodbutcher
10-10-2019, 03:20 PM
:veryconfu Sounds like the old saying from Texas."All hat and no cattle".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

MrWolf
10-10-2019, 05:04 PM
I stopped going there after this summer when someone called the police because I had my dog in the truck unattended. I was wearing my MAGA hat so... My truck was parked in the shade with the windows down and I was inside for less than 30 minutes. Three squad cars and an animal control office car surrounding my poor dog. They looked at what I bought and wanted to know where else I had been as it was reported the dog was suffering for over an hour. I had a few bags of groceries in the cart. Was given a Warning as it is a law in Winchester, VA against having an unattended pet in your vehicle.

Jniedbalski
10-10-2019, 05:26 PM
When I go to Walmart there never is Any body at the counter. Also they use to have decent prices on ammo. Now they are just as high as anybody else .in the past I could get 9mm ammo fmj for 7.99 or 8.99 now it’s 14.99 or 15.99 I just go buy ammo at the gun shop most of the time. Also there 223 ammo was 6.99 to 7.99 for fmj. Now it’s 15 to 20$

metricmonkeywrench
10-10-2019, 06:24 PM
So if I understand correctly from what I read they are not doing a knee jerk yank everything off the shelf response which is good. Don’t want to anger the low information types

The plan is to sell off the existing stock on the shelf and warehouses an just not order any more of the offensive calibers.

Over time if the political winds change they may slowly return the removed calibers back the shelf

Froogal
10-11-2019, 09:18 AM
When the WalMarts first appeared around here, they had a very good sporting goods section with a good selection of rifles and shotguns, and the ammo to go with them. A few years later the firearms section was eliminated. Couldn't even buy .22 long rifle ammo, or shotgun shells, and then a few years after that, the firearms were back. They seem to operate on whim and whimsy. I'm guessing the pistol ammo will be back. Eventually.

nicholst55
10-12-2019, 08:20 AM
I'm guessing the pistol ammo will be back. Eventually.

Wonder how many of the boycotting customers will return. Eventually.

Froogal
10-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Wonder how many of the boycotting customers will return. Eventually.

In my opinion, there is no good reason to visit WalMart for anything, so I don't.

armstrong
10-12-2019, 11:14 AM
As greedy as Wallyworld is, they'll keep the ammo on the shelf as long as they can