PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Sushi?

Suo Gan
11-05-2008, 03:12 AM
How do you guys prepare ye old hare? I remember liking it as a kid, but what I have been trying is not working out (there is the high possibility that I cannot cook). In fact the last bunny came out undercooked...and I made a pizza instead. Like the homeless guy said to me the other day, "can you help a brother out?" I just hope your response was kinder than mine was.

Your Bullet Casting Apprentice, SG

MT Gianni
11-05-2008, 09:20 AM
For Cottontail I brown it and bake it for 45 min at 325 covered. You can add vegies or moisture beyond a 1/3 cup but it isn't really needed. Domestic can be baked, grilled or fried. The pieces are of an odd thickness so it is hard to get them done but not over done, when baking I have covered the lower legs with foil the last 15 min. It makes a little difference. Gianni

Suo Gan
11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Sounds tasty, I'm going out to the brush pile now. I have some celery too.

dominicfortune00
11-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Or you could make rabbit and gravy.

Take your rabbit pieces and coat them with flour that has some black pepper in it.

Next brown them in a frying pan with some oil.

Put in a baking dish, add about a half inch of water, cover with foil, and bake at 350 until done (usually around 1 to 1 1/2 hours).

Check occasionally to make sure it doesn't dry out, add more water if needed.

The flour on the rabbit pieces will combine with the water to make some pretty tasty gravy.

Add salt as needed.

StrawHat
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
We used to raise rabbits.

My wife would add three or four to a stock pot of vegetables and stew them until the meat pulled from the bone. My job was to pull the meat then shred it.

After the meat was shredded, it was used for a variety of recipes, BBQ sandwiches, chili etc. Everyone liked it.

The stock was strained and then reduced to a demi-glace. I would get in trouble when I spread it on bread but it was good.

As has been said, it is not easy to roast or bake.

Suo Gan
11-07-2008, 03:56 AM
That BBQ idea sounds good. Pulled Rabbit sandwich! Thanks for the recipes.

StrawHat
11-07-2008, 11:45 AM
The pulled meat can be used as you would use any pulled meat.

Herself has made rabbit salad, devilled rabbit and other similar dishes.

Most folks don't catch on that it is rabbit.

NoDakJak
11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Browned and then it can either be baked or simmered in mushroom soup. I loike it served over rice. Neil

LeadThrower
11-29-2008, 01:45 PM
We had black-tailed jackrabbit along side our bird this year for Thanksgiving. It was my first take with cast boolits, so it was a special treat. I used the lee 158 RF from my Marlin 1894c.

The recipe:
Dress and section, place in a large ziplock bag and add 1/3 bottle of dry red wine (we used a merlot)
Toss in freezer overnight, next day put in fridge to thaw (freeze/thaw cycle helps tenderize)
Drain, saving the wine.
Brown the meat in olive oil in a heavy stock pot or skillet (expect lots of splattering).

Prepare the "sauce":
chop up carrots, onion, garlic (about 1 c, 1 c, 2 T) and combine with...
1/2 c fresh chopped parsley from the garden
2 t fresh thyme from the garden
2 bay leaves
1 t dried sage
3 T tomato paste
1 29oz can whole or chopped tomatoes
the reserved wine

Place the hare and "sauce" in a crockpot, adding enough chicken stock to cover.
Turn the heat up to get everything boiling, then turn down to low and cook overnight.

The meat fell off the bones and was fantastic. I commented that it would make a great pulled meat BBQ sammich, so it's nice to hear that other folks have done this.

Cheers!

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
my favorite way to cook it is real easy. take the pieces of meat and cube them into about inch pieces. then roll them in batter. I just use fry majic. Deep fry them till golden brown. For my kids thats as far as i went. They called them rabbit mcnuggets and just dipped them in barbque sause and ate them. I would then take the fried nuggets and add them to cream of mushroom soup and server over noodles rice or potatoes, whichever you prefer.

jonk
12-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I've been thinking of trying a pressure cooker... followed by a bit of frying to put a crisp on it. 20 minutes in the pressure cooker, most any thing is fall off the bone tender.

dale2242
12-14-2008, 02:15 PM
The wife fries rabbit and squirrel then pressures it. Tastes great.---dale