PDA

View Full Version : New One For Me

parson48
10-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Been a member here for several years, but rarely post. However, a recent casting session with a Lee .35 cal. 200 grain, RCBS clone has raised a question that I want to ask.

I'm having trouble getting good fill out on the gas check shank; edges come out slightly rounded. Through some experimentation, I found that if I lightly tap the mold while filling with a ladle I get a higher percentage of good casts.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Valornor
10-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Try adding some tin to your alloy, it should help the lead fill the mold better.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Frank V
10-08-2019, 01:55 PM
In addition to what Valonor suggests. Fluxing often can help too. Good luck.

gwpercle
10-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Are you pressure casting with a ladle that has a side spout ?
Gary

parson48
10-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Appreciate the advice. Fluxed pretty good. I did add some magnum shot to the mix, that helped somewhat. Actually was using an old Lee ladle (I know) that I just had handy at the time. I moved a couple of years back, and still haven't gotten a casting area set up.

Could venting be a problem here?

Winger Ed.
10-08-2019, 04:03 PM
I did add some magnum shot to the mix, that helped somewhat.

That's worked well for me, and turn up the heat just a bit.

Years ago, I got a couple hundred pounds of reclaimed shot at the scrap yard.
I use it for my alloy, and toss in a bit more if I get those rounded edges on my .30 cal rifle boolits.

Bazoo
10-08-2019, 05:06 PM
I've found that letting alloy run over the sprue puddle and back into the pot helps get the shank filled out better when using wheel weights with minimal or no tin. It's the hardest spot for perfect fillout in my experiences.

It could be a vent issue if you're not vented at all on the top of the blocks or have your sprue plate a little tight and you're using an alloy with enough tin.

RU shooter
10-08-2019, 09:17 PM
What Bazoo said . To help vent the top of the block lightly break the edges with a fine stone it don't take much so go lightly

Burnt Fingers
10-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Appreciate the advice. Fluxed pretty good. I did add some magnum shot to the mix, that helped somewhat. Actually was using an old Lee ladle (I know) that I just had handy at the time. I moved a couple of years back, and still haven't gotten a casting area set up.

Could venting be a problem here?

Magnum shot will add antimony, not tin.

parson48
10-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Thanks for comments/advise. Hopefully, I'll get the "honey do" list whittled down before too long and give this mold another try.