PDA

View Full Version : been doing some things, some fun ..... some not.

frkelly74
10-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Winter is coming, The wife has put the flannel sheets on the bed and we have checked out the furnace, It still works. The daughter and her husband have gotten around to re-roofing their house and kind of drafted me to "supervise" the job. It is about 36 sq and we are more than half done in 6 days of work with lots of friends helping. It has two layers to strip and a lot of de-laminated plywood to replace and is high and steep. the good part is that the sheathing was stapled and comes off pretty easy. I could barely raise my arms after 6 days of "supervising". I can not seem to explain well enough and always ended up leading the charge from the front as it were.It makes me tired. The next wave is scheduled for weekend after next.

On the fun side, I took the class to get my CPL and that was really fun. I took my 22 ruger MKII to qualify with which I know I can shoot. It was funny to see all the tenderfoots with their new 9mm autos that they were learning to use. One guy tore up his thumb pretty good from letting the slide bite him in the web of his thumb. Lots of those new tiny guns looked really good for concealment , but how do you hold on to them when you shoot ??? Just waiting on the mail now for the card to come.

I also took the old 41 mag blackhawk bisley out and she still roars. I shot up some old loads with XTP 210's that I loaded in 1998. The fireball was impressive with wc820 loads and all shots were pretty close to where I was pointing. Some bullets that I swedged from 40S&W brass were all over the place... a failure. My cast loads from a few years ago were kind of mediocre. but it was fun. I also shot up some 30-30 gas checked 160 gr boolits left over from when I first started casting and it was fun to just chew up the target center with a 20 shot group. I love my Handy Rifle. Now I have to load up the rest of those XTPs.

bikerbeans
10-03-2019, 07:20 AM
That 30-30 Handi would be nice in the northern Michigan woods morning of November 15th.

BB

CastingFool
10-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Your story about the roof reminds me about when I reroofed our house 20 yrs ago. Roof about the size of yours. Two layers of shingles, one large area that had 3 layers. The dummies that did the 2nd layer never took off the ridge cap, just laid the new one on top of the old one. Had to replace 13 sheets of plywood decking. Poorly vented. I had a crew of 4. My youngest son, and me, myself and I. That was a circus, but finally got it done. Did have to wait till spring to do the garage.

gwpercle
10-03-2019, 01:18 PM
It's 95 degrees outside today . High yesterday 95 degrees . High tomorrow 95 degrees .
It's October ... I sure wish we would get a nice cool spell of 90 degree weather ...
that would be so nice .

frkelly74
10-25-2019, 12:12 PM
The other "half" is officially done. We had some help in the form of a real contractor who was using this project as a learning experience for his two sons. They did really well and we got it knocked out in 4 more days. I was kind of shocked at the amount that the dumpster people charged for the disposal . $275 for the drop and pickup, $275 for the over weight charge on the first load, $275 for the second drop off and pickup, and I know the second load was over weight but maybe not as bad as the first load judging from the level in the tub. So probably another $175 I am guessing. It is ludicrous to put a 2 ton limit on a 20 yd tub I think, the first tub had more than 4 tons in it and it still had room. I was in on it from the first gutter take down to the last ridge shingle. I nailed on all the ridge for that matter. I yelled down to my son in law and offered to let him nail the last one but he declined the honor from the ground. I can still out work him!!! Whooo, hooo! I am pretty healed up by now and can raise both arms but the shoulders are pretty noisey and the back is in good shape. I think it was pretty good therapy.

Winger Ed.
10-25-2019, 01:15 PM
That reminds me of doing the roof when I built a detached garage.
It was pretty steep, it had to have 2x4 toe boards for me to stay up on it.
At the time I was 6" and around 240.

I asked a buddy who did new construction Plumbing how those roofers ran up and down those roofs like a squirrel.

He said, "If you'll notice, they have a much lower 'pounds per square inch of tennis shoe ratio' than you do".

bob208
10-25-2019, 10:23 PM
we put new windows in the house and a new tin roof on. got 3 loads of wood cut will get another load next week. got to get the Lincoln welder running we will use it for a generator.

WRideout
10-27-2019, 07:05 AM
It's 95 degrees outside today . High yesterday 95 degrees . High tomorrow 95 degrees .
It's October ... I sure wish we would get a nice cool spell of 90 degree weather ...
that would be so nice .

Winter in Western PA, they call it warm when it gets all the way up to freezing. At 45 degrees, the Pittsburghers are walking around in shorts and tee shirts.
Wayne

WRideout
10-27-2019, 07:08 AM
The other "half" is officially done. We had some help in the form of a real contractor who was using this project as a learning experience for his two sons. They did really well and we got it knocked out in 4 more days. I was kind of shocked at the amount that the dumpster people charged for the disposal . $275 for the drop and pickup, $275 for the over weight charge on the first load, $275 for the second drop off and pickup, and I know the second load was over weight but maybe not as bad as the first load judging from the level in the tub. So probably another $175 I am guessing. It is ludicrous to put a 2 ton limit on a 20 yd tub I think, the first tub had more than 4 tons in it and it still had room. I was in on it from the first gutter take down to the last ridge shingle. I nailed on all the ridge for that matter. I yelled down to my son in law and offered to let him nail the last one but he declined the honor from the ground. I can still out work him!!! Whooo, hooo! I am pretty healed up by now and can raise both arms but the shoulders are pretty noisey and the back is in good shape. I think it was pretty good therapy.

It's not so hard to outwork a youngster if you concentrate on working steadily, rather than fast.
Wayne

frkelly74
10-27-2019, 11:52 AM
I remember when I was in high school and my dad put me to work with an old semiretired mason and our task one time was to build a small addition. We would show up on jobs like these with shovels and a wheel barrow and some string and go for it digging by hand and setting forms and pouring the footing, laying the blocks, framing the floor right on up through getting it painted. I remember wondering how come I couldn't keep up with Old Leo who had emphysema, bad knees, nearly blind and stopped every now and then to light another cigarrette. He could dig circles around me. He just seemed to have a little "dance" move and rythm and kept on digging. I spent too much time wondering I guess.