PDA

View Full Version : Bad News, Good News

Green Frog
10-01-2019, 07:04 PM
A few days ago I got the bad news that one of my best friends in the shooting world is going to hang up his casting gloves... I don't understand it since he's only a young 87 years old and is still planning on doing some shooting.

The good news is that back 25+ years ago when my late father was still involved in casting he made up several hundred pounds of pure lead in Lyman pigs, using sheet lead of a very high quality. Dad gifted a bunch of that excellent lead to my friend, and he still has some of it left, I'm guessing 50# or more, and he's going to gift it back to me. Since I had used up most of what Dad had left me and since now I'm shooting more musket and black powder carbine competition, pure lead is at a premium around here.

"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

Froggie

mto7464
10-01-2019, 07:11 PM
I watched my buddies neighbor casting boolits back in about 1974. Little did I know I would buy all his casting stuff when he got out of casting 30 years later. Everytime I cast I think of him. He has since passed, Korean War Marine vet (really saw some bad stuff) and shooter/hunter and good friend. See if he has some things that he would sell you. It will remind you of him years from now.

DonH
10-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Make it count my friend!

Green Frog
10-03-2019, 09:58 AM
I don’t think he’s going away soon... of course none of us is guaranteed tomorrow! He’s just getting out of casting and loading to be more leisurely with his activities. No judgement, but those are leisurely activities for me! I often joke that I’m Huck Finn to his Tom Sawyer, and I’m hoping we still have a long time to get each other into mischief. :happy dance::happy dance:

Froggie

Hamish
10-03-2019, 10:09 AM
I wish there was a "Like" button sometimes,,,,,,,;)

swheeler
10-03-2019, 10:19 AM
What comes around, goes around.

mto7464
10-07-2019, 10:07 AM
I don’t think he’s going away soon... of course none of us is guaranteed tomorrow! He’s just getting out of casting and loading to be more leisurely with his activities. No judgement, but those are leisurely activities for me! I often joke that I’m Huck Finn to his Tom Sawyer, and I’m hoping we still have a long time to get each other into mischief. :happy dance::happy dance:

Froggie

I did not think so with him either. Shortly after he sold me his casting stuff his wife died of cancer. He started coming around a lot to my house and taking us out for dinner, sometimes we would take him out. Then he had a heart attack and because of a misunderstanding in meds he stroked out. He spent the last year of his life in a wheel chair in a room at his daughters far from here.

Frank V
10-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Sorry for your friends loss. S ounds like a great guy.,