PDA

View Full Version : steves pages

porthos
09-26-2019, 01:14 PM
trying to get gun diagram's and other info. nothing comes up ??

high standard 40
09-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Different website, but try this one

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/

JoeG52
09-26-2019, 03:00 PM
This works for me to get to Steve's pages...

http://stevespages.com/page7.htm

Sig556r
09-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Whoever took over the site after Steve passed away has now made most of the info available only to subscribers...

condorjohn
09-26-2019, 08:28 PM
It used to be my "go to" web site. Now I can't even figure out how to subscribe...

243winxb
09-26-2019, 09:03 PM
As of Aug 2018 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?388604-steves-pages&p=4734489#post4734489

Markopolo
09-27-2019, 10:01 AM
i am a subscriber.... it wasnt easy. and the nice gentleman is also a bit cautious. his name is Chris Hays.

georgerkahn
09-28-2019, 04:32 PM
i am a subscriber.... it wasnt easy. and the nice gentleman is also a bit cautious. his name is Chris Hays.

Markopolo -- Might you either post, or perhaps PM me the email address required to contact Mr. Hays and enable my initiating a subscription? Thanks!
geo

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Markopolo -- Might you either post, or perhaps PM me the email address required to contact Mr. Hays and enable my initiating a subscription? Thanks!
geo
George,
if you click on the link that JoeG52 posted, and then go to the bottom of the page and click on "The Front Page", it will tell you how to proceed to get a subscription. The first step is to email him, chris@stevespages dot com, a request for Terms of Service.

This works for me to get to Steve's pages...

http://stevespages.com/page7.htm

ex_isp
10-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Please see the front page: www.stevespages.com

There are a couple of reasons why StevesPages is now subscription... (1) in 23 years StevesPages had never even covered it's own expense. People say it's better to have it a donation site and then they will donate, but in 23 years... (2) The first 3 years after Steves death I kept it open to all and as a donate site. Did not cover it's own cost as Steve had told me many times. Then Iran attacked the site, attempting to download all the .mil manuals and firearms too. No holtile to us country can have this material! In order to even be able to keep the site online I closed my retirement business and have devoted what is now 2.5 years, 10-15 hrs per day, 6-7 days a week to a firewall build that has essentially blocked the world except the US and Canada. I will never recover this cost and that's OK. But the site MUST pay for itself now.

Here is the full Terms of Service and directions for access:

What you are seeing at StevesPages is the net result of two things. (1) April of 2018 the site came under attack from Iran, trying to download 1st the military manuals and 2nd the firearms manuals. (2) In all the years Steve had the site before passing away and in the 3 years I had the site prior to the attack, it never once even covered it's own expenses. Since then I have closed my retirement business in order to have 6 or 7 days a week and 10 to 15 hours a day to implement password security and build the firewall as the attacks have have continued and have grown more sophisticated. With the amount and kind of traffic I am getting I would have to take the whole system offline permanently without this new security. I have built over 14,000 filters now and traffic is 99.9% limited to the US and Canada.

I am pasting in below, the Terms of Service which details the only three rules and the three things that are
required to gain access. Please read the entire document, let me know if you have any questions.

Chris Hayes StevesPages

Late April 2018, StevesPages came under attack from Iran trying to
download all the gun manuals and more importantly, the military training
manuals. I caught them in the act and terminated their connection three
times, then spent 2.5+ years (and still working on it) firewalling out most of
the world except the US, and implementing the password system so they couldn't just
"spoof" a local IP. This and the fact that StevesPages has never in 20 years,
even covered it's own expenses has forced me to make it subscription
based. I have set the subscription at $12 for a whole year. That will
keep the site alive. This site is 70 GB in size, over 12,000 pages and
is by far, the largest of it's type in the world, and growing. One reprint of a
manual on Amazon (if they even have it) usually costs more than a whole
year here.

I tried for 3.5 years after Steve's death to keep it a free site, but
the honest truth is that very few donate. With monthly traffic of 1
million to 4 million visitors, on average one person in 1.5 million
donates $5. I was working before and could afford to keep pulling $50
bills out of pocket to keep the site alive. I can no longer do
that, especially in light of the recent cost to secure the site.
StevesPages must be secure and it simply must pay for itself.

*Terms of Service.*

We recently have undergone attempts from overseas and from some here in
the U.S. to download the entire contents of this website. For reasons
of direct cost to us and for security of some of the data here, I am
forced to implement a password system for access. There will be a charge
of $1.00 per month *(1 year subscription required) for data access going
forward. Ammo reloading section info is open and does not require credentials.

*There are a couple of rules now that go with this.*

1. A subscription to StevesPages does NOT give users the right to
download the whole website or large amounts of files. Take what you
need only. The $1 per month fee is enough to keep the pages up
indefinitely, so please be respectful of bandwidth and download each
manual when needed, and not all at once. That will keep the downloads
from resembling an Al Quaida member using a VPN with a US exit node, and
will prevent a ban. Violation will result in the loss of your account
access with no refund.

2. Sharing your password and username here with others is expressly
forbidden. Sharing your account information with non subscribers will
result in forfeiture of your access to the site and you will not be
eligible for any refund.

3. Any violation of rule #1 or rule #2 and you will not be allowed back
in.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

*How to get access here.*

1. Email me your phone number and I will add it to the subscriber sheet
here and call you (a) so that we may have a brief conversation
(required) and (b) you will get my phone number. *Do NOT make a payment
prior to our conversation.* This step IS the 1st requirement!

2. There are PayPal links throughout the site. Make your payment (one
year minimum requirement) for access (subject to the above conditions).
Due to time restraints here, there are still many paypal links throughout
the site.
Please be sure to use the PayPal "Subscribe" link at the center of the
home page ( www.stevespages.com) as I know for sure that one is right.
*A single $12 payment is the minimum entry subscription which covers
one year.*

3. When you have paid for the subscription, email me here at my
StevesPages address and let me know that you have made a payment. I
will then check at PayPal, generate your username and password and email
them back to you. You will then have immediate access. I don't hang
out at or keep PayPal open so the email is the fastest way. I check
email frequently through the day.

************************************************** *****************************

Wayne Smith
10-17-2020, 10:19 AM
This information really ought to be moved up to the Sticky section.

MT Gianni
10-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Seconded, Steves pages was a good resource and I assume it still is.

David2011
10-17-2020, 04:59 PM
This is a great site. I lived near Steve before his death but didn’t know about the site or him at the time. Wish I could have met him. Mostly I looked at his astronomy information and had no idea the site was so big. I should subscribe just to pay for my past use.

RichardB
07-27-2023, 09:14 PM
Cautious? we played phone tag for several days. Finally connected and he said his entire process was broken now as we didn't connect right away. He's paranoid and a bit of a nut case. He refused to let me subscribe and hung up on me...twice!

shootingblanks00
07-28-2023, 12:44 AM
I was going to subscribe but thought that it would be too much just to get load data for 2 different calibers.

fiberoptik
07-28-2023, 01:03 AM
I have used it both before and after Steve died. I do wish the info on sporterizing Swedes was still on. I recommend it. If he is a bit careful it’s understandable. I had no problems with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrishayes
08-24-2023, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=RichardB;5605693] Wow is all I can say Richard! Except maybe that you should get your story straight.

1. "we played phone tag for several days. Finally connected and he said his entire process was broken now as we didn't connect right away. "
Phone tag? 1st time I called you called back in 7 or 8 minutes. Hardly phone tag. You didn't answer because I didn't leave a message. Then you called right back and let it ring twice. So I called you again about 30 minutes later. You called back again in under 10 mins. You were SITTING there playing some sick game. Since I didn't (and explained why) answer to your again, 2 rings. Also told you that getting YOU to answer your phone unannounced is the best way I can know you are really who you say you are. The TOS ALSO says "Email me your phone number and I will add it to the subscriber sheet here and call you (a) so that we may have a brief conversation (required) and (b) you will get my phone number.". Then* AFTER part "a" you will get my number and be welcome to use it. YOU failed to read or follow directions. YOU wanted to play some game and YOU did violate the process. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with "right away". I called back a total of 6 times only to have you continue this game of yours. I understand that no one can be expected in the least to be by the phone all the time... it's why I call back. But you wanted to beat the system.

2. "He's paranoid and a bit of a nut case."
In the last 5 years I have spent ~22932 hours (yes, averaging 13-14 hrs a day, 7 days a week) to get this place to where it will almost babysit itself. Had YOU spent that time, FOR FREE, would you be willing to risk it for 1 guy that can't seem to follow directions? I think not.

3. " He refused to let me subscribe and hung up on me...twice!"
Dang right! After explaining it to you, you just continued driveling on. I said we are done and hung up. YOU called back and started right in again as though you had not heard a single thing I'd told you and it's apparent from your post. So I engaged you for another 4-5 mins as it become obvious that either you don't get it or didn't care, so I hung up again. Never in my life have I had to hang up on someone... until you. So, sorry you didn't get your way in spite of the fairly lengthy TOS and instead chose to defame my character with your post.

End MY rant

chrishayes
08-24-2023, 06:10 PM
shootingblanks00
You do not need any subscription to access load data. If ask for credentials while "driving" there, hit cancel and continue.

Alex_4x4
08-24-2023, 06:57 PM
About caution and vigilance:

"God protects the cautious and vigilant" - said the nun putting a condom on the candle.

Also, the dialogue:

- "Tell me, do you suffer from paranoia?"

- "Well, what are you, I enjoy it"