PDA

View Full Version : Cruise missle question?

rayg
11-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi, not a biggy but just out of curiousity, through a want ad here I purchased a Cruise Missle with the intent of using it in the oversized bores of my Japanese rifles and Carcanos (.267-.268), . I read that the Cruise missle normally drops out of these moulds at around .269-70 which would have been perfect.
However when the single cavity mould arrived and I cast a few bullets, the bullets dropped out only at .266. The mold had "Old Feller" name stamped on it so it must have been personized by him unless all the CM's have his name on them. I can still use the mould if I beagle it.
But I'm Just curious about the history of this smaller dia. mould. Was this one of his earlier moulds before he increased the size? I PM'd Oldfeller but saw he doesn't frequent this forum too much any more so I thought one of the members here might know a little bit about this smaller dia. mould. Ray

mooman76
11-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Mine drops at something like .267-.268. It doesn't get bigger than .268. When the moulds are run each time there may be a couple thousanths difference.

waksupi
11-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Ray, I got curious about this, and checked some boolits I had cast out of that mold. Mine are at .2673. Maybe a change of alloy would help out? I believe I used 50/50 WW, pure PB with it. Hadn't cast with it in several years, so don't recall for sure. If it won't work out for you, send it back.

rayg
11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks Ric, You made the generous offer to send it to me first just to try it but I decided to buy it first and I 'm not concerned about keeping it. As I said it's no biggy I was just curious and thought it was just something to bring up for discussion. I believe my mix was not too hard, lead with about 15% tin or less. Maybe I'll add more lead to the mix and see. Or I have about 10 lbs of WW I could try. I beagled some and they dropped at low .267 to .269. which should work fine. I will try them out tomorrow.

PS I just used a screwdriver to see how hard the bullets were and they scratch very easy with it so I don't think the mix is too hard.. Ray