PDA

View Full Version : .326-175-FN Testing and Results

sundog
12-11-2005, 01:13 PM
So far so good. After getting the mould lee-mented yesterday and then after going back and doing additional deburring, I got a small pile of decent boolits. I've run a few thru a .325 sizer and the first one I loaded was over 10.0 Herco in a .32 Spl case. It was a stretch and I was getting concerned that maybe it wouldn't chamber. Seated the boolit so the case mouth is half way acress the forward band and base seems to sit very nicely at the bottom of the neck. It's in so tight, it may not even need to be crimped to load in the magazine. My fears were fully allayed when I stuffed it in and by golly she chambered! I ejected it and it was fully engraved all the way around by each land. Went out behind the barn and shot it a few miniutes ago. Bang. So, now I'll load up about five more and put them on a target. So far so good for .32 Spl! Also gonna need to run a few thru the mag to be sure for feed and function, but looks like it'll be okay for that, too. sundog

edited: btw, the RCBS #402 top punch works really good.

sundog
12-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Okay, first 5-shot group was an honest inch and a half, 4 under one inch. At 50 yards looking into a bright sun, target in the shadows.

Anyone else doing anything with this boolit yet? sundog

Dutch4122
12-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Thank you much for the report, Sundog. Anybody else? :)

sundog
12-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Felix, I've got a bunch cast now (cupple cavities still being kinda sticky), soooo, when we getogather, before Christmas hopefully as I still have a day coming, we'll add some of these to your 44 triple crimple groove boolits. Shot another 5-shot group and it was about an inch and a half for four but fifth one went way wide - high. Still, looks purdy good. More in the Mdl 94 and then some in the K98. Am I sorry I was in on this deal? Nope. sundog

felix
12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Way to go, Sundog! Can use a few in Nick's M48, Yugo? However, we don't have many 8mm reloadable brass, actually hardly none. Where is there a bunch of that we can get? Did/does Remington in Little Rock (Loneoak?) load these? ... felix

sundog
12-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Felix, one way to tell is to check Blue Star web site. If they have once fired, sometimes its from the Loneoak plant and has that circle engragraved just behind the shoulder from pressure testing. I've shot a bunch of this stuff (mostly '06), and it's all okay.

Later in week, maybe I can get some 8x57 shooted with this new boolit.... btw, wx looks purdy good this, maybe we should get it done this week (Friday? I'll have to check work). sundog

StarMetal
12-11-2005, 08:00 PM
sundog,

My neighbor gave me a big box of mixed casings and some had that circle you speak of, BUT they were a hole...know what I mean, they blew out that section sharp and clean. I thought it was tested somewhere somehow. I asked him if there was a plant in TN that made ammo and he said there was at one time. I don't know. Might have come from there long time ago.

Joe

felix
12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Sundog, Friday is fine with me. Nick will be home, too. ... felix

drinks
12-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Sundog;
I am pleased to find out I am not the last cb shooter to use Herco for light rifle loads, of couse, I also use it in under 1000fps pistol loads.
Have been using it for 40 years and find it is a good "inbetween" powder

StarMetal
12-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Midway has 8x57 on sale right now for $22 and some cents.

Joe

Oldfeller
12-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Felix, if you are looking reasonable priced 8x57 brass see if Grafs is still selling their cheapie import 7x57 brass for $12 a hundred (they were last month).

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/Oldfeller/dscf0009.jpg

If so, resize some. Area right above/behind the existing shoulder gets resized for 8x57 radial location and you can load it with a smallish powder load but seat the slug "tightly throat choked" with a big long bullet the first time out for the rest of your good fire-forming location.

Pre-fire-forming, the case has a somewhat longer neck than standard, but it does locate on area above/behind shoulder and it can firmly locate on the seated bullet if you have one that fills the throat properly for the gun you are shooting. Post firing, it is a standard 8x57 case that is going to run around .010" short on the book standard neck length.

Reformng brass isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's not like we are going to be running the resulting cases at real high pressures shooting cast anyway. And unless somebody has located some cheap 8x57 brass that costs less than $23 a hundred, this is the best priced deal currently going.

felix
12-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Thanks, Kelly! Never thought we could find 7mm boxer cases either. I've done 10 or so 30-06 cases just fine, and find that these sawed off cases are not too thick in the finished neck area. However, I only have some Sundog's match '06 cases upstairs, and no more junk '06 cases, so no more case forming for now. ... felix

Buckshot
12-12-2005, 02:47 AM
............HA! Shot any:D? I got the 311407 mod and the 8mm within days of each other. Took both of'em out with the intention of getting them prepped to cast and that's as far as they've gotten :(. Looks like there may be a hint of a hairline ridge on the edge of the bottom lube groove on the 8mm mould. I'll try casting with it first before attempting any fix. It may just pull right off.

Cavities in both moulds are cleanly cut. Done as well as any Lee mould I've ever seen.

............Buckshot

C A Plater
12-12-2005, 04:18 AM
Reformng brass isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's not like we are going to be running the resulting cases at real high pressures shooting cast anyway. And unless somebody has located some cheap 8x57 brass that costs less than $23 a hundred, this is the best priced deal currently going.

Midway has met your price this month. 8x57 Remington. $22.49/100
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=868419

Frank46
12-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Oldfeller, I have a bunch of Privi Partisan yugoslavian cases made before they started shooting at each other. Was wondering if they could be used somehow in my sanitized
egyptian yugo M48. Now I gotta try this out. Thanks, Frank

Oldfeller
12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Everybody has it around $23 per hundred.

The price to beat was $12.99 per hundred for the Graf 7x57 which can be resized easily and fire formed to make cheap boxer cases.