PDA

View Full Version : Reason for HP 9mm boolits

mto7464
09-06-2019, 11:13 AM
I can't seem to justify the extra cost in HP 9mm boolits. I shoot mainly IDPA with a pistol. What are the reasons ?

Rcmaveric
09-06-2019, 11:26 AM
Purpose of a hallow point is for rapid expansion or assisted expansion. Say you are using a hard bullet and its not expanding as much as you would want. Hallow point is a solution instead of going to a softer alloy. Because sometimes you need a harder bullet for penetration or you riffle just prefers a harder bullet. You can also hallow point it to make a lighter bullet. Just another tool in the tool box.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lakehouse2012
09-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Purpose of a hallow point is for rapid expansion or assisted expansion. Say you are using a hard bullet and its not expanding as much as you would want. Hallow point is a solution instead of going to a softer alloy. Because sometimes you need a harder bullet for penetration or you riffle just prefers a harder bullet. You can also hallow point it to make a lighter bullet. Just another tool in the tool box.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkAgree on both! HP gives you options for weight depending on material on hand.

Also, HPs when hitting steel is very loud, better sounds at 25yards.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

popper
09-06-2019, 12:26 PM
IDPA with a pistol feeding and accuracy required, forget the HP.

Kenstone
09-06-2019, 12:28 PM
The bullet profile differences show a hollow point bullet has a longer length of full diameter than a RN bullet.
That longer engagement tends to produce better accuracy at short distances, much like a wadcutter in 38sp.

Hollow points cost more to produce and for that reason usually cost more.

I suggest you consider using cone point/or flat nose bullets as they should be about equal in cost to RN but have the length of engagement of a hollow point.
Know that you will need to seat these bullets deeper though, dependent on barrel throat.
All RMR bullets:
The engage length is very apparent in this OAL chart figure 12B:
jmo,
:mrgreen:

cat-mechanic
09-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Go and get 2 watermelons. Set them up to shoot at. Shoot the first one with a round nose 9mm. Then the 2nd one with a hollow point.

You should see the difference at that point. For just target shooting, use round nose.

Conditor22
09-06-2019, 01:10 PM
I can't seem to justify the extra cost in HP 9mm boolits. I shoot mainly IDPA with a pistol. What are the reasons ?

The ONLY reason for hollow-point boolits/bullets is greater expansion/fragmentation and more damage to a live target/perpetrator.

or to some people, they "look cool/******"

mto7464
09-06-2019, 01:10 PM
I am talking about casting, seems like some were thinking j bullets. Mine will just be for shooting paper and poppers/steel.
I have j hollow points to shoot a melon.

I will pass on the HP mold.

Kenstone
09-06-2019, 01:20 PM
OK thanks for the added info
So you are referring to MOLD cost, not BULLET cost :coffee:
Relative to accuracy my previous post about bullet profile is still relevant for cast or jacketed.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?387642-Reason-for-HP-9mm-boolits&p=4722056&viewfull=1#post4722056
[smilie=s:

mdi
09-06-2019, 01:35 PM
Hollow points in a cast bullet serve the same purpose as hollow points in a jacketed bullet; additional, improved expansion...

reddog81
09-06-2019, 04:04 PM
I am talking about casting, seems like some were thinking j bullets. Mine will just be for shooting paper and poppers/steel.
I have j hollow points to shoot a melon.

I will pass on the HP mold.

I have a hollow point 45 caliber mold and a hollow base 38 caliber mold and do not plan to buy any more. The bullets these molds produce look neat and I'm sure the terminal performance might be improved, but the additional cost and hassle of casting with the hollow points doesn't offset performance for shooting paper. At least for me...

mto7464
09-06-2019, 04:14 PM
anyway my question has been asked and answered. The molds from Mihec that I like are not in stock there was one HP mold that would suit me but at the extra cost is just not worth it for shooting cardboard and poppers. I will just wait on a group buy that I joined.

kevin c
09-07-2019, 01:24 AM
In the action pistol community, it is a common belief that jacketed hollowpoints are more accurate than FMJ's because the base of the former is though to be more uniform than the latter. That being said, all the coated cast bullets used (mostly commercial - me casting my own is noteworthy everywhere I shoot) are, with out exception, solids of RN or FP configuration.

I don't shoot accurately enough to be able to test the idea one way or another. Anyway the max scoring zone is 6" by 11" and generally shot at under 25 yards and most commonly under 15 yards, so the argument seems more academic than practical.

Gamsek
09-07-2019, 07:27 AM
Some precision shooters are using HP cast or cooper-plated bullets because with HP bullets’s center of gravity shifts down and makes slightly more accurate bullet. Not me.
I use HP for efficiency so if you don’t use your cast bullets for personal protection or hunting then better buy 6 or 8 cav 9 mm mould and make piles with it.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190907/b7eab1b5c994b3cce34ad5768ee78943.jpg